• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are these DAL MD-90s on the way?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The MD-90 is actually more efficient on a 400nm or greater segment length. Add to it that the acquisition costs are less than 1/4 of a new 73NG, it makes a ton of sense to purchase these jets for use until the next gen 73N hits the market. Read, it is a good interim solution without the enormous capital outlay of 50+ 73N's. There will be an order for a new technology jet and not 30 y/o technology.

Hi!

DAL has said in numerous press releases that the MD-90 is by FAR their lowest seat-mile cost of ANY of their narrow body jets, so they want as many as possible. They were planning on acquiring 74 of them, but that was WITHOUT the Saudia jets...so could be as many as 102. Boeing should have kept the 717 line open, and added the 717-200 as AirTran wanted. Now they will be getting their 737 ass kicked by Bombardier's "C"!

There have been 6 or 7 MD-90's sitting at TIMCO in GSO for the past 6 plus months. Some China Southern and the others were HELLO airlines. They have started to get them into the hanger, a few a month. They are coming out in Delta colors.

The MD90 we have now seats 150, but all will be re-configured to 160 soon. Comparing to the MD88, it has increased ZFW by 12k, max t/o weight increased by approx 11k. Fuel burn is slightly better than the MD88, around 3.5k per side crz at FL32 or so (Our usual cruising alt). Comparing to the MD88, it actually cruises at a lower alt, and the range isn't as great as the 88, but it hauls more pax+cargo, which makes it cost effective.

On another note, the MD88 will be soon configured to 149 as well.

The MD90 we have now seats 150, but all will be re-configured to 160 soon. Comparing to the MD88, it has increased ZFW by 12k, max t/o weight increased by approx 11k. Fuel burn is slightly better than the MD88, around 3.5k per side crz at FL32 or so (Our usual cruising alt). Comparing to the MD88, it actually cruises at a lower alt, and the range isn't as great as the 88, but it hauls more pax+cargo, which makes it cost effective.

On another note, the MD88 will be soon configured to 149 as well.

I know I must be missing something here:

The 737-700 burns around 2.2K to 2.4K per hour/per side with 137 pax. 737-800 will be :erm: configured for 160 pax. I'm assuming its burn will be slightly higher.

Given the MD90 is burning around 2000 PPH more fuel; how can it be more efficient ?

Just curious. I'm not playing 'my airplanes better than yours'.

Any plans to enlarge the overhead bins on the 90s? Last one I was on had the same "short" bins on both sides of the aisle, filled up awfully fast. I think there must have been at least twenty of us who had to plane-side check our bags. I don't believe that would have happened on an MD88.

Latest resources

Back