Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the issue boils down to the individual more than it does experience.

I have flown with guys with 200 hrs that would be professional, competent and safe FO's after a 121 training course. Maybe 10-20% of pilots fit in this category. They have a natural aptitude for flying, good multi-tasking skills, and a good attitude. Usually very smart folks.

The majority of pilots are ready for a 121 cockpit after 600-1000 hrs, depending on the diversity and quality of their time and training. I would say 60-70% fit here.

10-20% of pilots have no business in a cockpit at all, much less with pax in the back. For some it's attitude, some decision-making, some basic skills, or a combination. We have all flown with them and it's no different at 200 hrs, 2000 hrs, or 20,000 hrs.

Good post, I completely agree for what my little 14 1/2 years of left seat 121 time is worth....

Answer- wait for the mainline flight even if it costs you more money.

There are plenty of lazy, non checklist using, complacent old timers out there at the mainline level too............ I've been on enough jump seats over the years to see it with my own eyes first hand.
:(

As fewer and fewer professionals exist at the regional level, what's left is a cadre of sloppy, lazy and under-skilled pilots who pass those attributes on to the next generation of captain. In over 10 years of regional flying I've never witnessed such a low level of knowledge and competence in the cockpit yet the scary thing is no one wants to listen to those concerns much less the pilot himself. The company will put up front any warm body to keep the completion factor nominal.

Answer- wait for the mainline flight even if it costs you more money.

Are you in the training department? How do you get to evaluate so many captains?

Your terse generalization makes your post totally non-credible. We all know that not all regional pilots, in fact not even a majority of regional pilots suck. Now if you have PROOF of the contrary (not more opinion), I'm all ears.

Last edited:
So the solution, then, is for ALPA/APA/IPA etc-to get our hand deep into the training world instead of letting the FAA have complete control. Ensure the professionalism and competency at that level and that will ensure that young pilots know what they are getting into and value what they do. Young pilots are not the problem- the problem is pilots, young and old, who do not value what they do- then act and vote accordingly-- ie:don't study or train well enough, and vote in concessions.

Are you in the training department? How do you get to evaluate so many captains?

Your terse generalization makes your post totally non-credible. We all know that not all regional pilots, in fact not even a majority of regional pilots suck. Now if you have PROOF of the contrary (not more opinion), I'm all ears.

I've flown with many marginal FO's who are by miracle in the left seat now. Couple them with the FO's we hire now and there's your proof. Every day the regionals such as mine are losing their best pilots.

BTW- reading a checklist with your eyes focused strictly on the paper does not constitute professionalism. 9/10 pilots don't seem to even know how to use the damned things.

From almost a decade worth of training and checking airline pilots, I can say that it is definitely possible to train low time pilots for airline cockpits.
However, what is a fact is that it is exponentially more difficult to do so.
Generally the largest obstacle is inexperience. Most guys I find have good attitudes and hit the books pretty hard.
There are still the usual turds in the bunch that think they are owed something or that "you're short of pilots so you need me". These guys are usually the weakest airmen and can be easily beaten down or washed out in the sim.

I believe Captains should all get overrides for being instructors. That's infortunately one of the new roles as captain. If training departments washed out every new hire that wasn't 100% airlines would quickly go out of business due to crew shortages.

If airlines would wake up and realize all they had to do was throw in a few extra bones and tweak some work rules they'd keep more experienced people and not waste so much money on "revolving door" training events.....

I've flown with many marginal FO's who are by miracle in the left seat now. Couple them with the FO's we hire now and there's your proof. Every day the regionals such as mine are losing their best pilots.

BTW- reading a checklist with your eyes focused strictly on the paper does not constitute professionalism. 9/10 pilots don't seem to even know how to use the damned things.

I know many outstanding career regional pilots that are happy where they are at for several reasons, seniority, pay, schedules or the fact that they have military retirement cash coming in additionally to enhance there pay. You must have seen a whole lot of crap at Mesa huh? Maybe you should have picked a better regional to fly for because your comments are slightly ignorant at best...............
:bomb:

If that kid is flying a prop, I don't think its a big deal. The Captain has enough time to react and take the controls, but if he's flying a Jet, hum.......I don't know...

How will Mesa advertse pilot jobs around 2015-
" have you solo? if you have, come and join one of the fastest growing airlines in the country."

Prop or Jet... I don't think it makes a difference. An engine failure in a prop will eat your lunch just as much as a jet.

I'm not sure which is worse, the low time or the immaturity. When I was down in training a couple months ago I saw some new hires tackling each other in the halls and playing football in the parking lot. Please leave the high school maturity when you leave high school, even if you just graduated last June.

Latest resources

Back