Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are Low time new hires at regionals safe?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trust me, you mastered nothing at 100-120 hours.

I agree most people with that "overwhelming" :erm: amount of time only know enough to be dangerous.

At the small freight company I fly for I've noticed that the low time FOs (250-350 hrs) did better than the other guys. 1000 hours of part 91 piston time isn't that much better than 350 hours. Who cares about the flight time. The problem I've noticed is that underperforming pilots aren't washed out of ground school because they are needed on the line.

OMG it was a ********************ing joke lol.

At the small freight company I fly for I've noticed that the low time FOs (250-350 hrs) did better than the other guys. 1000 hours of part 91 piston time isn't that much better than 350 hours. Who cares about the flight time. The problem I've noticed is that underperforming pilots aren't washed out of ground school because they are needed on the line.
At 250-350 hours a Shorts is an opportunity. With over 1000 hours, if you're still looking at a Shorts FO job, something must be wrong. Sorry to be blunt, just a reality check. I really don't think your 1000 hour FO's are representative of the industry.

I've flown with many marginal FO's who are by miracle in the left seat now. Couple them with the FO's we hire now and there's your proof. Every day the regionals such as mine are losing their best pilots.

So you're basing your view that a majority of regional captains suck (and that people should wait for a mainline flight) on having flown with a bunch of crappy FOs who now SUCCESSFULLY passed [insert airline here]'s FAA supervised upgrade program, and are now captains? Once sucked, always sucked, huh? Guess you never improved as a pilot? I know I was a sucky FO... I just didn't care back then.

Think maybe you're making a blanket generalization? Your credibility is lacking here. You have only proved that you have a strong OPINION. And a propensity to post flamebait.

My biggest concern is not time in the cockpit, but time in life. At 24, Your still 24. No training, no type rating, no special wavier can make you wiser. Nothing against 24 year olds. I was 24 once. My Dad use to tell me " Son, their are two things that will give you maturity in life. Time and pain. Physical and mental pain."
He was so right.

I know many outstanding career regional pilots that are happy where they are at for several reasons, seniority, pay, schedules or the fact that they have military retirement cash coming in additionally to enhance there pay. You must have seen a whole lot of crap at Mesa huh? Maybe you should have picked a better regional to fly for because your comments are slightly ignorant at best...............
:bomb:
Actually, he's here at ASA. Not sure if thats good or bad luck for us.

My biggest concern is not time in the cockpit, but time in life. At 24, Your still 24. No training, no type rating, no special wavier can make you wiser. Nothing against 24 year olds. I was 24 once. My Dad use to tell me " Son, their are two things that will give you maturity in life. Time and pain. Physical and mental pain."
He was so right.

What a great point.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back