Are Bose A20s worth the money?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Btw-
This exact thread has been done a few times- search that if you want more opinions

Thanks for all the posts.

Much appreciate.

Wave, did the search before and came up with nil. Tried again, pull downs for bose, bose A20 still there but this time came up with quite a few threads. thanks again.

I used ufly for 3-4 years, worked okay, got tired of the plug coming out of the headset all the time. If you sit in the right seat and your capt doesn't use a noise canx headset, then you are flying with your left ear cup off and your mic all crooked, that was a pain in the you know what! Also had the battery crap out several times while rolling down the runway at 80-90 knots, (typically the loudest point during flight) nothing like going deaf at that speed, not to mention the distraction. The mic finally gave out, I think it was a lose connection or something in the boom portion.

I was flying with a guy who was using the A20, I tried it out for a few minutes and was hoooooked! A bit on the spendy side, but IMHO it's worth it. When the batteries die, it's fail passive, so you can still hear the other pilot and the radios. Also the mic is reversible, so I was able to move it over to the right side, so when I fly with those crusty old guys who fly with that antique ear plug thing, you know the one with all the gross ear wax and crust on it! I'm able to leave the left cup off my ear and still have the mic in the right place.

I've had mine over 3 years now and it works great, lithium batteries last almost a month at a time!! It was a great investment for me!!

Some guys complain that the A20 cord is a bit too sort and they get an extension cord. Do you find the length of the cord acceptable?

The ultimate test of an A20 would be this summer in a clapped-out -300/-500 running short-hauls through AZ or FL. If it doesn't get your melon too hot & sweaty under those conditions, then it's probably the headset for you. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Clarity Aloft or Lightspeed in-ear models.

The ultimate test of an A20 would be this summer in a clapped-out -300/-500 running short-hauls through AZ or FL. If it doesn't get your melon too hot & sweaty under those conditions, then it's probably the headset for you. Otherwise, I'd suggest the Clarity Aloft or Lightspeed in-ear models.

I bought mine in the summer of 2011, and I've spent far too much time in the sweathogs since. Never any issues for me, or at least not any worse than any other headset, as that's the least of the problems, temp wise, in a classic.

+1 for the ufly mic a couple of points not mentioned.

-works awesome for commuting or just sitting the the airport using just the QC15, great sound for music and movies.. (plus you don't look like a dork wearing your A20)

-TSO ufly mike comes with westone ear buds (these retail for about $100 alone) these are great ear buds, best I have ever used for running.

-Customer service at UFM is outstanding!

Great setup!

I have the 20s and they were worth every cent. Don't try to save money by getting the 10s used as they were clampers as that was my pair prior to the 20s coming out. I have tried the UFM combo and it is a good setup for the space and weight but it is not the same and not near as a good. Yep, they are expensive but, so are hearing aids down the line. Do yourself a favor and buy the good stuff now and take the tax write off.

I liked my UFM but love my A20's. The blue tooth is great for clearances at obscure airports. Probably not a factor for the 121 guys.

-TSO ufly mike comes with westone ear buds (these retail for about $100 alone) these are great ear buds, best I have ever used for running.

I had the $100 Westone buds for years till I left them clipped to a seat back pocket. Never saw them again. Upgraded to the Westone 2's and was blown away even more than with the old pair. Great line of earbuds, but they get expensive quickly as more drivers are added.

Anyway, back to the A20 debate.

Latest resources

Back