Are Bose A20s worth the money?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bruiser

Are they worth the money and the hassle of carryin em around?

Appreciate any comments positive, negative or other. Will be using in a 737.

Thanks,

I used ufly for 3-4 years, worked okay, got tired of the plug coming out of the headset all the time. If you sit in the right seat and your capt doesn't use a noise canx headset, then you are flying with your left ear cup off and your mic all crooked, that was a pain in the you know what! Also had the battery crap out several times while rolling down the runway at 80-90 knots, (typically the loudest point during flight) nothing like going deaf at that speed, not to mention the distraction. The mic finally gave out, I think it was a lose connection or something in the boom portion.

I was flying with a guy who was using the A20, I tried it out for a few minutes and was hoooooked! A bit on the spendy side, but IMHO it's worth it. When the batteries die, it's fail passive, so you can still hear the other pilot and the radios. Also the mic is reversible, so I was able to move it over to the right side, so when I fly with those crusty old guys who fly with that antique ear plug thing, you know the one with all the gross ear wax and crust on it! I'm able to leave the left cup off my ear and still have the mic in the right place.

I've had mine over 3 years now and it works great, lithium batteries last almost a month at a time!! It was a great investment for me!!

I don't have 1 but most guys like that Ufly mike set up .. Only thing is that about 1/2 the guys have to hold the mike up to their mouths to hear them ok..

Are they worth the money and the hassle of carryin em around?

Appreciate any comments positive, negative or other. Will be using in a 737.

Thanks,

In a word
Yes

Research UFM- and between being an FO and no blue tooth I opted for the a20

Have not regretted

Flythere-
I dont let captains convince me not to use the noise canceling or keep an ear off-
Pick your battles, so I know what you mean- but to me it's a longevity thing when you hear about pilots losing their hearing
73 is not quiet

A20

Wish I had been using one for the last 20 years or so, instead of a few months. I really like it. If you have some years left to fly, just get one. It might,likely,save you from tinnitus . Too late for me.

Mike b

Flythere-
I dont let captains convince me not to use the noise canceling or keep an ear off-
Pick your battles, so I know what you mean- but to me it's a longevity thing when you hear about pilots losing their hearing
73 is not quiet[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it's easier to get along vs picking a fight! Most of our airplanes still don't have latching mic switches on the com panel. Which means we have to use a latching device (aka rubber band) to latch the switch to intercom. One particular crusty old dinosaur said he doesn't believe in "intentional non-compliance" and refused to use a latching device, his choice! After doing things his way for the last 30 years, you think he's gonna change over night for some kid 22 yrs jr to him?? I still us my headset in those cases, I just keep my left ear cup a little off the ear and in some cases, I'll pull it all the way on and make him repeat everything, "huh, can't hear you, speak up!"

In a word

Yes

Research UFM- and between being an FO and no blue tooth I opted for the a20

Have not regretted

Flythere-

73 is not quiet

Ya know, if a guy is a retired mil pilot he should just go ahead and spend the extra cash, even though they have no hearing left to protect, they will just look cool. Civilian pilots can't afford it when they are in the regionals but they should really just do it early to save their hearing, that way throughout their career they can hear each other whisper smack about the mil pilots, but the mil pilots won't be able to hear.

Sorry. (The civ vs. mil thread thread wasn't long enough).

I used the UFM/QC2 until they banned their use at SW. I went through a few other "ANR" headsets that were anything but, including a $600 Sennheiser. I finally broke down and bought an A20 about 2 months before the company re allowed the UFM setup. I am still using the A20, even though I have the option to go back to the UFM.

I loved the QC2, but it wasn't perfect. The mic was never in the right place, and the UFM unit had an annoying habit of pulling loose if the cable got caught on something. It was very convenient to carry around, had good ANR and was comfortable. Nowadays, to comply with the (completely unnecessary) STC and be "legal" under the letter of the FOM, you have to stick an earbud into your ear, under the earcup and plug it into the aux input on the UFM as backup in case the battery goes dead. No thanks.

The A20 is larger and heavier, which, IMHO, are the only downsides compared to the UFM setup. They are noticeably quieter than the QC/UFM, which some regard as a bad thing, but I love it. The cable assembly is somewhat delicate. I am very careful with my stuff, and mine has already been replaced once in warranty, and I know several other folks who've had the same issues. The upside is that Bose's warranty service is excellent. I called them while on a trip and the assembly was waiting for me at home 2 days later with an RMA for the old one. The warranty is 5 years on the A20.

Overall, I am happy with the A20, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. The QC/UFM setup is a close second, with some reservations.

Latest resources

Back