• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Applying to skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, that's what we need more of. More whoring.

Do you or any other pilot group of employees feel you can change what the respective board of directors want for a business decision?

It's a market driven environment, nothing less, nothing more.

And the flying you do is.................................

same as you......I voted yes.

The point is what we don't need, is to go around and get some more flying with larger aircraft for about the same pay.
100 pax at $60-70 bucks a hour - yee haa!

Do you or any other pilot group of employees feel you can change what the respective board of directors want for a business decision?

It's a market driven environment, nothing less, nothing more.

Ah, nothing like the stench of apathy.

So, we lube up and take it, huh....

Mainline pilot salary is down. Regional pilot salaries are a joke comparatively - especially now that we ARE flying "mainline" routes.

If a regional airline is to be a place to stay and have a decent career - then the pay and retirement benefits should be competitive to the type of flying and routes flown by other carriers, no matter the type of aircraft flown.

By staying with a regional airline for your career, then wouldn't it stand to reason that you would want to maximize your pay and benefits for that career?

There are of course QOL issues that may be better at a regional depending on your situation (money isn't everything), however QOL stuff varies at every company, in fact at every industry. Everyone has a different idea on what QOL things are most important to them.

However, we all generally agree on the amount that "we" should receive for our particular job.....An engineer at Apple and one at Microsoft may have different compensation and benefits, but OVERALL it will not be so different. And it certainly will not be below what is generally agreed on industry wide. Otherwise, for most of us QOL stuff will lose out to compensation.

Would I love to fly an 737? Sure! But NOT AT AN REGIONAL AIRLINE SALARY. That is what this industry is moving towards.

In the past when the regionals were flying mostly t-props and the route segments were short, it was acceptable to pay a pilot lower because they REALLY were "regional". The airlines COULD NOT bring in a 737 to podunk regional airport. But, that has all changed. The places where the airline could not bring in the 73, they can bring in an rj, or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5.....

And while "we" would be remiss in not assisting the companies try to make a profit, there is a point where it has to stop.

You graduate from law school and get an entry level job at a law firm. You expect to get paid a certain salary. After 10 years of experience and after being your firms top lawyer(ie. Captain), you move. You go to a bigger, better firm expecting a salary that reflects your overall experience as a lawyer. Now, at the new firm you may not be handling the top cases until you get experience with that company(ie. First officer).......However, you would NOT expect to get paid what you got when you had just graduated law school.

Because of the way this industry pays its pilots - Having more rjs, rj operators, and rj pilots in the overall system LOWERS THE PAY of everyone. If we were paid based on overall experience then it wouldn't matter as much.

Of course it is a market driven environment. THAT'S THE POINT. Managements will stop at nothing to make that penny for the shareholders.

IT IS OUR JOB TO LOOK OUT FOR US(the pilots). The problem is we can't. We don't have any real representation with management. We can't really be heard. So, even if this SWA thing is true and it turns out that we end up flying 100 pax. for industry bottom wages, we sure shouldn't be happy about it.

This should be about issues, not individuals. But with a successful business there was no pressing need to move on. The RJ is a terrific jet to fly (up front) and the pilots at ASA are a great group to work with.

When SkyWest made threats, the infamous "four doors" memo came out and the last 7 jets were scheduled for transfer (knocking me off the 700 and costing me 11 to 15% in pay) Within the week applications were made to FedEx, Delta, AirTran and CAL. FedEx, Delta and AirTran offered interviews. I went to one interview and was hired. I keep my contacts with the other two open and are grateful for their invitations.

I'm a junior insignificant nobody now just serving customers & co workers - SkyWest pilots need not be concerned about my opinion. But a kid about to invest his time in an airline would be wise to try to obtain the best situational awareness possible since the seniority clock starts the first day of indoc.
Be careful fins, now you're pissing off your regional comrades. Before you know it you'll be one of those evil Delta pilots who's trying to ruin the industry!

Gandalf said:
Ah, nothing like the stench of apathy.
Actually, when you're dealing with CFIT, its stupidity!

So, we lube up and take it, huh....
Again, when you're dealing with CFIT.....Well, just ask his man love!;)

[/quote]

Last edited:
1) We have three customers [um, fact].
2) Those aren't crickets you're hearing, they're violins [um, not fact, but likely true--and they're playing my heart bleeds for you]
3) To the yes-men, if you have strong scope as you all hope to have [and the iron-clad contracts], you should haven't to worry about losing flying you have, just about the flying that's up for grabs. All the benefits you suggest available by the union should protect you from the ununionized work-force, especially with 60,000 people on your side [um, fact, pilots do not enter into business agreements with other airlines, aircraft manufacturers or the like].
4) Our company simply has flexibility yours do not, and to this point, though that could change--things haven't been that bad, ceteris paribus.
5) I didn't know UAL and DAL were so unhappy with us, and, aaaahhhh, fact: neither do you [speaking of objective facts or lack thereof].

Generally, your posts make sense. This is not one of those times and I understand you're probably just frustrated by your own decisions. Why else would you feel the need to feel so protectionist and anti?

Well said. Fact

CFIT actually isn't a bad guy. You gotta understand though that he is in the training dep and can make 250K a year if he tries. The watch on his wrist is worth more than a months salary of one of the FO's he signs off. So the market forces are working excellently is his favor...

This should be about issues, not individuals. But with a successful business there was no pressing need to move on. The RJ is a terrific jet to fly (up front) and the pilots at ASA are a great group to work with.

It isn't and never has been. Hopefully you left to Delta because you thought it was a good opportunity for you to make more money, fly wide bodies, or fly to Europe (or South America or whatever).

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back