Appears to be a citation down in carlsbad, ca

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cheater1239 said:
However, I looked up the Pilot's name (according to the newspaper), and he appears to have been flying for quite some time, in addition to his eight type ratings.

No skid marks, could have been a heart attack?

The cause of the crash was unknown. Polick said the weather was clear and sunny with only light winds at the time.

Norman Boyd of Escondido said he saw the plane landing as he drove to work near the airport and could tell "the plane was in trouble."

"Its landing gear was up and it was going down really fast," Boyd told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It was heading toward the runway and the approaching speed was way beyond what it should be."

The road dipped, obscuring his view of the runway for a moment, and when he saw it again there was "fire and smoke at the far end," he said.

Boyd, who served in the Navy and worked on aircraft, said he observes takeoffs and landings daily on his way to and from work.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to investigate the accident.

Andy Neill said:
It was certainly sunny AFTER sunrise but the crash happened 4 minutes before sunrise.
I might have missed getting it when I scrolled and pasted the article, but they said there were no skid marks on the runway.

Now the feds are saying the landing gear was down...

Cockpit voice recorder found at San Diego County plane crash site

Associated Press

CARLSBAD, Calif. - Investigators on Wednesday recovered the cockpit voice recorder of a business jet that crashed and burst into flames near McClellan-Palomar Airport, killing all four people aboard, officials said.
The Cessna 560 Citation crashed early Tuesday after a flight from Friedman Memorial Airport in Hailey, Idaho, near the Sun Valley ski resort.
Officials with the National Transportation Safety Board said during a Wednesday afternoon press conference at the accident site that the cockpit voice recorder appeared to be in good shape.
It could take federal investigators up to six months to sort through evidence, including crew radio transmissions.
An NTSB official said the plane's landing gear was down as the pilots attempted to land the twin-engine plane.
The aircraft went about 150 yards beyond the runway, barreled through a scaffolding holding airfield equipment and rammed into a commercial storage facility.
The victims included Frank H. Jellinek Jr., 60, chairman emeritus of Fisher Scientific International, a Hampton, N.H., company that provides products and services for labs and clinics. He was flying into San Diego County to attend Fisher Scientific business meetings, a company spokeswoman said.
In Idaho, Sun Valley Aviation General Manager Melidee Wright told the Wood River Journal newspaper that the following people had boarded the plane: pilot Jack Francis, co-pilot Andy Garrett and passenger Janet Shafran, wife of one of the aircraft's registered owners.
Shafran was involved with The Community School in Sun Valley, Idaho, and her husband was on the board of directors, said Jon Maksik, the school's headmaster. He confirmed Shafran was on the plane.

I think someone was onto something with the heart attack theory. I bet that the pilot was single pilot rated and the co-pilot really didn't have any experience with the airplane. Once the Pilot was incapcitated the co-pilot was lost. If the speed readouts are correct, even the biggest bafoon pilots out there would have gone around if they were that unstablized.

flyinglow said:
...If the speed readouts are correct, even the biggest bafoon pilots out there would have gone around if they were that unstablized.

You're not up on current events....

...recent history says you're WAY wrong on that one!

flyinglow said:
I think someone was onto something with the heart attack theory. I bet that the pilot was single pilot rated and the co-pilot really didn't have any experience with the airplane. Once the Pilot was incapcitated the co-pilot was lost. If the speed readouts are correct, even the biggest bafoon pilots out there would have gone around if they were that unstablized.

Just so you know, both pilots were very "experienced". The co-pilot had been flying that same aircraft for years. So let the investigators do their jobs and figure it out for us.

According to folks at the field the TRs were deployed mid field but apparantly not at the accident site so perhaps an untimely go around attempt was made that terminated at the localizer antennae array. Condolances to all friends and family of those lost.

Greed and Apathy played a part

Back in the mid-80's, when CRQ was annexed from the County of San Diego to the City of Carlsbad, the Airport Master Plan(paid for by your Aviation Trust funds) called for Rwy 24 to be lengthened by about 1000 feet(if memory serves.) It couldn't be extended on the east end because it was butted up to El Camino Real. It could be easily extended to the west because, at the time, there was nothing between the departure end of Rwy 24 and I-5 but flower fields.

As an airfield tenant, President of the Palomar Airport Pilot's Association and VP of the California Aviation Council(now the California Pilot's Association,) I, and a very few other pilots, spent hundreds of hours appealing to local pilots, the San Diego County Aviation Department, the San Diego County Board of Supervisors, the Carlsbad Planning Commission and the Carlsbad City Council sitting as the Airport Land Use Commission to try to protect the airport from incompatible land use development.

North San Diego county was growing rapidly and developers wanted to build houses right up to the airport boundaries on all sides. They didn't care a whit about the viability of the airport and probably would have liked to have the flat land on which it sat.

The developers, who made huge political campaign contributions to Carlsbad City Council members, along with the new homeowners who were buying their houses and complaining about airport noise, put the future viability of the airport in question. The Carlsbad City Council did manage to spend hundreds of thousands more dollars of your Aviation Trust Fund money on noise studies and Airport Master Plan revisions which ate up a lot of time and airport proponents' energies. All the while they were dragging their feet they were approving development after development closer and closer to the airport.

Meanwhile, the opportunity to extend Rwy 24 and place an airport compatible land use like a city park, cemetery, golf course or open space off the departure end was lost forever.

So. Greed on the part of the developers, a hunger for power on the part of local politicians, the ineffectiveness of the FAA and the apathy of most local pilots are all partly to blame for the deaths of these four individuals(in my opinion.) They may have landed with a tailwind, they may have landed too long, they may have tried going around too late. Regardless, they could have used an extra 1000 feet of runway free of concrete buildings and they could have had it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back