Appears to be a citation down in carlsbad, ca

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL420 said:
So. Greed on the part of the developers, a hunger for power on the part of local politicians, the ineffectiveness of the FAA and the apathy of most local pilots are all partly to blame for the deaths of these four individuals(in my opinion.) The may have landed with a tailwind, they may have landed too long, they may have tried going around too late. Regardless, they could have used an extra 1000 feet of runway free of concrete buildings and they could have had it.
they better plow that dangerous airport under then and put some nice safe houses and a golf course in.

FN FAL said:
they better plow that dangerous airport under then and put some nice safe houses and a golf course in.

That very thing was proposed over and over again by homeowners in Carlsbad, Vista, Leucadia and Oceanside at dozens of public hearings re: the airport over the years.

Good post, FL420. I worked and flew at CRQ a long time ago; it's depressing how development has been allowed to encroach on the county's best GA airport. When it's gone, I guess the poobahs will have to helicopter up to Rancho Santa Fe from Lindbergh -- 'cause the drive sucks.

This accident really was bugging me because the name Frank Jellinek sounded so familiar and I just couldn't place it. I was aware he recently placed the following ad on SkyJobs for a pilot:

Single Pilot (Aircraft Management) 1/9/2006
Family pilot-cirrus gts-light jet. Sun Valley Idaho and Rye Beach N.H. Must have 1500 tt with ATP and 500 hours turbine. $50k plus health care. Family travel only, approx 250 hours per year cirrus gts, Piper Meridian/Citation 550 type rating a plus. Good job in nice part of America.
Employer: Jellinek Family Trust
[email protected]

I did some more research and discovered he was the Chairman Emeritus of Fisher Scientific and a classmate of mine at Miami University. He was a Sigma Chi fraternity brother of Mike Oxley(R-Ohio) of Sarbanes-Oxley fame. I didn't know him but knew of him.

Now I really wish we would have been successful in getting the runway extended.

Sad day. It really drives home the requirement to be stabilized on approaches. We get complacent, and someday it smacks us. When it does, we don't go home.

81Horse said:
Good post, FL420. I worked and flew at CRQ a long time ago; it's depressing how development has been allowed to encroach on the county's best GA airport. When it's gone, I guess the poobahs will have to helicopter up to Rancho Santa Fe from Lindbergh -- 'cause the drive sucks.

CRQ isn't going anywhere for a long time. A little more than a year ago, they demolished what to me, was the best airport diner in So Cal and the GA areas surrounding the restaurant. They are completing construction on a multi-million dollar project to expand the biz-jet capablities of CRQ. They are putting in some huge hangars and we will be seeing more corporate departures and arrivals from CRQ. You probably think they would have fixed the friggin runway before they did this. There is nothing more dangerous than land developers with local politicians in their deep pockets.

Oh, yeah, that was a good diner. Gillespie and Montgomery had good diners, too -- way, way back in the day.

lowtimedriver said:
CRQ isn't going anywhere for a long time. A little more than a year ago, they demolished what to me, was the best airport diner in So Cal and the GA areas surrounding the restaurant. They are completing construction on a multi-million dollar project to expand the biz-jet capablities of CRQ. They are putting in some huge hangars and we will be seeing more corporate departures and arrivals from CRQ. You probably think they would have fixed the friggin runway before they did this. There is nothing more dangerous than land developers with local politicians in their deep pockets.

They don't have too much buildable land on the south side as that land was used as a landfill years ago and has had some severe settling problems. That's probably the only reason any light GA aircraft are still on the field.

FL420 said:
This accident really was bugging me because the name Frank Jellinek sounded so familiar and I just couldn't place it. I was aware he recently placed the following ad on SkyJobs for a pilot:

I did some more research and discovered he was the Chairman Emeritus of Fisher Scientific and a classmate of mine at Miami University. He was a Sigma Chi fraternity brother of Mike Oxley(R-Ohio) of Sarbanes-Oxley fame. I didn't know him but knew of him.

Now I really wish we would have been successful in getting the runway extended.

Mr. Jellinek was a very nice man. He was also in auto racing earlier in his life.

X

Latest resources

Back