Appears to be a citation down in carlsbad, ca

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyingToIST said:
I did a 4 week long gig down in CRQ at an office facility that is right by the departure end of 24. There is elevation difference but it amazes me that they are putting buildings like mushrooms around that airport.
At the time their website had nothing but NIMBY information.. Airports, regardless of their prime real estate locations have to have some protected zone around them.. But of course, the locals are too greedy because of the real estate taxes.

But this is irrelevant to this crash -- the plane hit an ILS equipment shack (presumably the localizer). And they're probably putting commercial/industrial buildings up all around Palomar because it's a great airport with a decent runway, a full ILS, and it's convenient to the I5 corridor (advantages none of the other GA airports in San Diego have). Plus, it's very handy for all the poobahs in Rancho Santa Fe.

For clarity:

I was not assuming the pilot was guilty, I was wondering if maybe the owner/pax was somehow involved. Like all of you, I wait for the NTSB. Please excuse my message, if it in anyway suggested pilot error.

I understood your point, Annie; I wondered about the same thing in the other thread about this accident -- is this an owner-pilot situation?

It's a dam*ed tragedy, for sure; my sympathies are with the families.

MarineGrunt said:
Not sure how long this one has been up, but it's still curent:

Data Current as of: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:15:00 GMT

KCRQ MC CLELLAN-PALOMAR
01/009 - 24 ILS OTS WIE UNTIL UFN
Ya the accident Citation took out the ILS shack so it's now obviously OTS.

I was imagining a scenario, where if the G/S where OTS, he was flying along on the approach, waiting for the G/S to come alive when he realized (too late), that the G/S was out OTS and tried to salvage the landing.

But now that I'm hearing reports that he was at ESCON around 12,000' (normal 4,000), and crossing the FAF at 7000' (normal 2100'), the broke G/S don't matter.

falcon20driver said:
They skidded off 24, I wonder if they were going missed and didn't retract the speedbrake.

I don't belive the speedbrakes will stay extended with GA/TO power applied. They will auto stow.

The old 500's you could keep extended. But in any event, they are just little panels, and wouldn't prevent the plane from climbing even if they were extended.

81Horse said:
I understood your point, Annie; I wondered about the same thing in the other thread about this accident -- is this an owner-pilot situation?
I was thinking the same thing, since it's hard for me to believe that a "professional" pilot can let himself get that far "out of position". Those flight tracking programs have errors, but not that big (crossing FAF 5000' high, 233 knot ground speed 300 AGL:( ).

However, I looked up the Pilot's name (according to the newspaper), and he appears to have been flying for quite some time, in addition to his eight type ratings.

ultrarunner said:
I don't belive the speedbrakes will stay extended with GA/TO power applied. They will auto stow.

The old 500's you could keep extended. But in any event, they are just little panels, and wouldn't prevent the plane from climbing even if they were extended.

No joke, I just read a more recent news article, an eyewitness said that not only did the plane appear to be coming in to land faster than normal, the eye witness also said the landing gear was UP.

Chewbacca said:
I was in CRQ a few hours after it happend, I checked flightaware.com, looked under their tail number, and saw that their groundspeed at 300 feet was 227 knots. Wanted to make sure data was somewhat reliable, so we completed our flight to Denver, and looked at our data for the flight, 300 feet above the airport, our groundspeed was 103.

From what the people at the FBO said, they were fast high, and landed too far down the runway, attempted to takeoff again, and struck airport stuff.

Very sad.

That 300' is MSL not AGL, that's radar info from the FAA, so they were at field elevation, the coordinates are next to the speed/altitude on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N86CE/tracklog the radar position for that fix is 1 mile southwest of the field, still on radar that 227 knots at 300' was while they were going downhill smashing into sh1t.

09:33AM 33 12N 117 00W 295 10000'
09:34AM 33 10N 117 04W 314 8100'
09:34AM 33 10N 117 05W 304 7100'
09:35AM 33 08N 117 09W 307 5600'
09:35AM 33 09N 117 11W 262 4100'
09:36AM 33 08N 117 15W 277 2300'
09:36AM 33 08N 117 15W 209 1200'
09:37AM 33 07N 117 18W 227 300'

Those coordinates show a 7 mile final at 4100' MSL and 262 kts groundspeed, two reports for the same fix of a one to two mile final, the first is 2300' MSL doing 277 kts over the ground and than 1200' MSL (900' AGL) doing 209 over the ground, and the next and last fix is at field elevation doing 227 kts over the ground a mile southwest of the field.

Enter the above coordinates in the site below and it shows the picture of where they were.
http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/chart/smartchart.cfm

Last edited:
However, I looked up the Pilot's name (according to the newspaper), and he appears to have been flying for quite some time, in addition to his eight type ratings.[/quote]

could you provide a link to the database that shows type ratings along with certificate info? regards

Latest resources

Back