• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APDL Palm emulator for the Iphone/Palm Pre

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds good...are you going to have the ability to import schedules from flica or crewtrac? keep us updated, i'm sure i'm not the only one looking.

Was hoping by now someone would have one and have tried the APDL...no luck. It would certainly make the decision easier. For now I bought a used treo on ebay since mine broke. Think I'll wait to see if the apps for the Pre actually appear as promised.

I'm holding off on the pre til some of the bugs are worked out.

Anyone here have it? How's it holding up to the airline rigors?

I'm holding off on the pre til some of the bugs are worked out.

Anyone here have it? How's it holding up to the airline rigors?

My sentiments as well. The phone looks promising but I would like to see how it holds up over the next 6 months or so.

I got the Pre today. I like it so far, although it does seem to be having battery issues.

As far as running APDL...

You can install the Classic App (which is free for 7 days and then costs $30) and then install APDL on top of that. That worked fine.

As far as syncing... To up sync your trips you have to create the .prc file through the APDL Scheduling Importer and then use the USB transfer on the Pre to copy it to the Classic App installer directory. Then, in theory, it should import the trip into the APDL program. It didn't work when I tried it, but I only tried it once and didn't do any troubleshooting. I have no idea how to sync back into Logbook Pro.

A thing of note though... APDL was designed for a stylus. A lot of the buttons and click points are WAY too small to consistantly hit with your finger. It almost seems to me that it will be more trouble than it's worth.

If somebody can develope a native Pre app that has the ability to import trips from CrewTrack/Flica and then dump the times back into LBP, I would dump APDL in a heartbeat. For now, I'm just going to carry around my old Treo in my flightcase and use it as a PDA with no phone signal so I can still use APDL on it.

Thanks for the info. Keep us updated about your experience with the Pre.

As for no stylus, many times I just use the click button on my pen. Particularly if I already have the pen in my hand.

As for no stylus, many times I just use the click button on my pen. Particularly if I already have the pen in my hand.

Me too... Or just my fingernail, assuming I hadn't bitten it off worrying about my FO's next landing.

However, the touchscreen on the Pre *seems* to be a lot less sensitive to location. I did try using the stylus from my Treo755 when running APDL on the ClassicApp and it didn't work very well.

I just bought a ipod touch and bought the fly schedule program. Works pretty well I feel ur pain about palm phone issue, I replaced 3 palms in less than 6months...lost all contacts and flight hrs. I can watch movies and play games without phone battery issues. Although I am still getting used to the keyboard as u can probably see, I am happy with it so far. I love Apple products but a sprint customer.

I just bought a ipod touch and bought the fly schedule program. Works pretty well I feel ur pain about palm phone issue, I replaced 3 palms in less than 6months...lost all contacts and flight hrs. I can watch movies and play games without phone battery issues. Although I am still getting used to the keyboard as u can probably see, I am happy with it so far. I love Apple products but a sprint customer.

I considered the same thing until during a family reunion over Thanksgiving. My brother has an I Phone and he let me try it for a hour or more. It only took me about 10 minutes to decide that I didn't care for the touch screen keyboard and prefer an actual keyboard with buttons. Maybe I would have gotten used to it but that 1st and only experience convinced me not to get one.

Latest resources

Back