• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA's Prez Throws Down on Management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can keep living in the past. I, for one, want to look ahead.

Well you might want to sneak a furtive glance over your shoulder now and then to watch your back.
Misdeeds and underhanded dealings have a way of catching back up to you.....

Last edited:
stlflyguy said:
To keep things short..

1) Make the argument how TWA pilots have stolen Native jobs.
2) The shrinkage happened after 9/11, the TWA transaction happened prior to that.
3) The "bankrupt carrier" was asked to do just that by AMR management. TWA WAS NOT in bankruptcy prior to AMR showing up.
4) You are correct, having the top 1/3 of your seniority list represented is indeed a problem.
5) Management loves guys like us solely because we were harmed by the very pool of pilots that says we should unite behind them. Does it get any simpler than that? You want us to "come together" in some sort of "battered wife syndrome" because that's about what it comes to. THAT should have been thought of prior to creating the seniority list.

stlflyguy

Stlflyguy,

So what’s your solution? Straight date of hire? If you think that our shrinkage and the TWA deal do not play into the acquisition, you are dreaming. The terms of the seniority agreement were being worked out post 9/11. At the time, we were losing $5 million per day. You were in bankruptcy, forfeited your rights, and lost money in 1999 - one of the most profitable years ever in airline history. AMR took on over $3 billion of your debt. TWA was a shell of its former self in the 90’s and pilots there were bailing for the other airlines. Given the landscape at the time, what are you expecting – a total win for T-way and a total loss for the natives? Good luck in convincing the judge on that one. Like I said - there were winners and losers in the deal. If you peel off the scab, it might just backfire on you.

I know, I know. I’ve heard it before from the old TWA pilots, if AMR doesn’t buy T-way, you would have been another Southwest or better. Most others think TWA would have died a quick death after 911. Like I said – both thoughts are pure conjecture. Meanwhile, you can keep sending your money to the attorney’s and take your argument before the judge, maybe he buys it and maybe he doesn’t.

Perhaps, if you get over your bitterness, you just might see the total picture a little more clearly. The natives are not your enemy. The reason I engage you is to set the record straight. You want to claim how badly we steamrolled you and in actuality that is just not the case. The natives got nothing out of the deal and though a lot of the former t-way pilots are furloughed, some of them are now flying our best trips plus you own all the Captain slots in STL.

AA767AV8TOR

Last edited:
pylut said:
Well you might want to sneak a furtive glance over your shoulder now and then to watch your back.
Misdeeds and underhanded dealings have a way of catching back up to you.....

Hey Pylut,

Do I detect a threat???

And, we wonder why this profession continues to nose dive.

Why don't you come out of your hole and explain in detail about the misdeeds and underhanded dealings.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

AA767AV8TOR

How about for starters, every single AA pilot should refuse anything that contains a drop in UNLIMITED recalls for ALL AA pilots.

magrs said:
How about for starters, every single AA pilot should refuse anything that contains a drop in UNLIMITED recalls for ALL AA pilots.

As a native, I'll second that. I think most of the list would agree. Again, it is the top few percent (at any carrier) who lose their perspective. I do think that once the recalls start, the list will go fast. I'm sure those that went to UPS, FedEx, SWA, among others won't leave to sit reserve here. I sure wouldn't. There are lots of rumors flying about recalls--most saying they'll start soon because of the unprecedented retirements.

Gotta love those rumors....;)

p3flteng said:
Stlflyguy,
are you a current flowback illegally holding a Captain seat at Eagle?

Illegally? No.

Ask Mr. Bloch...or was it Kasher?

Are you an Eagle pilot who can't understand a contract or a grievance arbitration ruling?

stlflyguy

p3flteng said:
Stlflyguy,
are you a current flowback illegally holding a Captain seat at Eagle?

Why is flowback "illegal" when flowthru wasn't? I have never understood that...Yes, I know about how it got added to your contract, but why should I have to lose 300+ numbers to Eagle flowthrus with no provision for job security in bad times?

my .02...I just put my fireproof suit on so flame away!

magrs said:

Couldn't agree more!

AAflyer

AA767AV8TOR said:
Hey Pylut,

Do I detect a threat???

And, we wonder why this profession continues to nose dive.

Why don't you come out of your hole and explain in detail about the misdeeds and underhanded dealings.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

AA767AV8TOR

How about this found during a Yahoo! search:

"APA met with the TWA-MEC to discuss seniority from February through August of 2001 under the auspices of a “facilitator” provided by American. The two unions were unable to reach an agreement (552a). Unknown to the Class, on July 10, 2001, APA entered into a so-called “Transition Agreement” with AA mandating that the AA and TWA-LLC seniority lists be combined pursuant to APA’s and AA’s existing Collective Bargaining Agreement (“Greenbook”) and granting AA pilots furlough protection (551-552a). Thus, the “facilitated discussions” between APA and the Class were a sham — AA and APA were negotiating and reached an agreement at the same time same that APA and the Class were holding “facilitated” discussions on precisely the same issue — the seniority integration of the Class."

Latest resources

Back