• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Andy

12/13/2012
MORE ON NEXT PHASE OF THE AGE 60 EFFORT

My earlier message to you noted that, due to election year politics, the Age 60 effort has run aground. Congress will adjourn and leave our legislation high and dry as ’06 ends.

However…the money bills that were not passed in ’06 are bills that fund the government in ’07. They must still be passed for the government to operate beyond the few months that a ‘continuing resolution’ will provide for. Our legislation does not carry over on a ‘cr’. The new approps legislation will have some new language and a new number.

Nothing has changed on a strategic level. The approps legislation will need to be passed early in the year. Our goal for early’07 (and commencing now) is to ensure that our legislation is attached to the Transportation Appropriations bill and that it is not stripped.

Tactically, we will need to round up our supporters from last year. We did well, with some 27 Senators and 84 Representatives signed on as co-sponsors. We also need to bring in Democratic support. After all, they now run the committees. Keep in mind, we had many who expressed support for amending the Age 60 Rule. The election year is now over. We should, and can, expect support in ’07.

We’re going to lose some good people through retirement. Hell, we already have. A number of those are still working with us, proof positive that it is not “all about me”. Those who have been hosed by this archaic rule are still in the fight, fighting for their fellow pilots.

Those guys are the heroes – those who have lost but continue to fight to right a wrong.

My hat’s off to all of you. It was a pleasure to work with you in ’06. I wish we were having a victory party instead of gathering on the Hill to fight again. But if we succeed, our party will merely be delayed until ’07.

See you in DC!

Paul Emens
Founder, APAAD

1-800-the-scooter-store

A Mobility Consultation is a free, over the phone, no obligation, no pressure conversation with one of The SCOOTER Store mobility experts. Your mobility consultation will help you understand your power chair and scooter options and quickly get you on the road to regaining your freedom and independence.

BBB :D

Will the APAAD fight for retired firemen and policemen too? I want grandpa firemen carrying my family down a burning staircase, and the drug dealers want old cops patrolling the beat, when they aren't napping. Old pilots lose their hearing, situational awareness, and depth perception as they get older, yet ICAO says males could fly to 65, and females to 69. Great, all we need are old grandmas flying the skies.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

When does Paul Emens retire?

How old is Paul Emens? He is the instigator that is leading this train wreck.

APAAD, SWA, SWAPA is the problem.

What do the real SWA pilots think about losing their preferred base, getting a chance at being a captain, getting a line, getting weekends off, getting off reserve as a captain or a new fo?

Paul Emens needs to go.

Last edited:

What do the real SWA pilots think about losing their preferred base, getting a chance at being a captain, getting a line, getting weekends off, getting off reserve as a captain or a new fo?

Paul Emens needs to go.

LTHJ,

I think we agree, but it is worth repeating for the masses:

The problem is a minority of guys at SWAPA who are pushing this issue without SWAPA voting on it. The stagnation that will occur at SWA (and others) will be amazing if this gets past. Kiss 6 year upgrades goodbye!!

SWA brothers--I hope you get to vote on this soon and (I believe) then you will have the ammunition you need to collar the SWAPA voice.

ALPA folks, please pressure your block rep to get ALPA to be more vocal and engaged. They are officially opposed(due to the vote last year), but need to be more vocal (IMHO).

Tired

I don't know about other over 60 guys, but speaking for myself, after 37 years with the last 5 over water, I was ready to retire. When is enough, enough? Sure, I can still fly and I do miss the "Big Bird", but when do you finally quit? I personally think the age should remain 60. If you still have the ambition and energy, start a second career but leave the driving to the next generation. They deserve their shot.

Paul Emens needs to go.

I believe Paul has quite a few years to go. He started fighting issue when his dad was at Pan Ameican. Those were the days that his dad's union, ALPA, was still fighting the age 60 rule.:D That was the day when the FAA claimed that it was a safety issue, not an affirmative action program for junior pilots.:puke:

We’re going to lose some good people through retirement. Hell, we already have. A number of those are still working with us, proof positive that it is not “all about me”. Those who have been hosed by this archaic rule are still in the fight, fighting for their fellow pilots.

Those guys are the heroes – those who have lost but continue to fight to right a wrong.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. :puke:

Paul Emens needs to go.

SWAPA will no longer support change of age 60 after the leadership change in January. There will be another vote and we all know which way it will go. 99% of FOs and a surprising number of captains are against change.

Latest resources

Back