• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA President raises the white flag of surrender

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This Captain Bates is a very smart guy. He realizes how he has to interact with the NMB to get things done, and he knows that the APA's current course is untenable. It's about time that someone at the APA finally told the membership the truth instead of continuing to lie to them and tell them that they could demand billions of dollars in improvements and demand it NOW. Some reasonability and common sense has finally prevailed. The end result will be a much improved contract for the American pilots, and in a reasonable amount of time. Well done.

This Captain Bates is a very smart guy. He realizes how he has to interact with the NMB to get things done, and he knows that the APA's current course is untenable. It's about time that someone at the APA finally told the membership the truth instead of continuing to lie to them and tell them that they could demand billions of dollars in improvements and demand it NOW. Some reasonability and common sense has finally prevailed. The end result will be a much improved contract for the American pilots, and in a reasonable amount of time. Well done.

Agreed. Feel good rhetoric is no substitute for actually getting things done for your pilot group. The APA's previous approach had the NMB putting them on ice for an indefinite time. Captain Bates has the courage to change the APA's current course, which has resulted in ZERO. Good for him , good for the American pilots, good for the profession.

Ahh finally AA pilots are coming back to reality.

Not exactly. They're out with torches and pitchforks on the APA message board.

TC

P.S.--The ONLY way APA will get a contract is by concentrating on a few key areas of improvement in the contract. By having and intending to retain a DB pension plan, the AA pilots have blocked off a significant chunk of their bargaining power. Any time you have a sacred cow in the CBA, you limit the improvements to be made elsewhere. PBS is a no go. More wiggle room cut out. APA wants 2002 pay plus. (Actually, APA wants the FedEx contract.)

The real bone of contention in this contract is the starting point. AA pilots believe we should start from February 2003 (pre concession). Management wants to start (and end) with USAir's contract.

All good points...we as pilots however have to join together to amend the RLA, it is way too pro management. I'm not saying it needs to be pro labor, but we need...a stopgap in the contracts and the negotiating process that allows cost of living increases or pay raises at the end of the current contracts. I don't think it should be like the UAW contracts, where they walk off the job at the end of the contract, but the RLA needs a process to prevent management from stalling and stalling.

..do any of the ALPA bashers have an answer? Does anyone think how different things would be if all pilots were represented by ALPA?...This the rate and the workrules for said aircraft. No ifs, ands or buts. WE would be a fixed cost. If you were a non-ALPA airline, no jumpseats, no ID 90s, etc. We can do this and need to do this and we can call it anything we want..WE have allowed mgmts. to convince us we are worth less. We are not. The sooner we realize it the better.

You're my hero. Seriously.

You have pointed out the differences between an Association and a Union.

Last edited:
Dave Bates is a good guy. I know him. I am retired now but wish him well getting a good contract for the AA pilots. Doug Johnson MIA

However, your MEC has to listen to them and take their advice.

This could be debated. It could be argued that the advice given would be for the benefit of ALPA National instead of the Local MEC and their constituency. I'm just sayin'.

X

Latest resources

Back