• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA Pilots Reject TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
APA President Dave Bates resigned today.

Here's your sword. Let gravity do it's job.

Bates did a great job blindsiding AMR with the USAir deal. He doomed himself by becoming myopic, focusing solely on the USAir deal and advocating taking a crappy TA while the merger is by no means a certainty.

TC

Since this thread isn't closed yet, Mods why did you delete the orginal thread???????? Very unprofessional, especially not answering the paying members questions about the closure.

APA President Dave Bates resigned today.

Here's your sword. Let gravity do it's job.

Bates did a great job blindsiding AMR with the USAir deal. He doomed himself by becoming myopic, focusing solely on the USAir deal and advocating taking a crappy TA while the merger is by no means a certainty.

TC

You may be correct about Bates blindsiding AMR. And you may be correct about Bates' myopia. But only time will tell if AA pilots have made a wise choice. If the experience of bride-in-waiting USAirways provides any enlightenment there is cause for concern. At LCC the union leadership, led by 4 of the 12 who controlled direction by use of the roll call vote, repeatedly denied the membership an opportunity to accept a less painful LOA93. This was driven largely by a belief held by the 4 that somehow a BK judge would be kinder, or fair or reasonable. All flawed because BK judges don't do any of that. They preserve the business and it's ability to repaid its POR agreed debt. Period. LCC pilots ultimately agreed to a more painful agreement at the 11th hour when somehow the realities of the choice became clear to the 4. It didnt have to be as painful as it is. I wonder if AA pilots have fallen for a similarly flawed line of reason. They appear to have poked the animal in the cage and come one step closer to the day a BK judge lets it loose. A lawyer friend of mine once said in response to a question about what would happen next by saying "we really dont know and I can't tell you but I can tell you what others have done in similiar situations and how their choices worked out". Time will tell and I wish AA pilots the best.

t. They preserve the business and it's ability to repaid its POR agreed debt. Period. .

Which is why the AA pilots have to remain steadfast in making it clear that trying to compensate their pilots in the way the TA proposed would be bad for their business. The industry in now healthy enough that all the legacies can continue in the direction that started with SWA and DAL's (and I am assuming UAL will follow) most recent contract.

IF you think the TA was concecionary, what might come down the road for APA can be a nightmare (s.1113). Hope not. I have good friends at AA.

IF you think the TA was concecionary, what might come down the road for APA can be a nightmare (s.1113). Hope not. I have good friends at AA.

BTW no union has gone through s.1113 before. So, this is totally untested territory. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back