Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone seen that new SWA TV commercial about pulling over a plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But you gotta have variety in your life, or it will lead to boredom. If a job turns into a "job", then complacency can lead in too. No thanks for that.

And, some legacy pilot unions have their managements in a corner right now due to mergers and Wall St pressure for clean ones. So, do you think they will start below SWA's Capt rate for the 737? That is the new benchmark, for the 737 at the legacies, not the 777s. Make sense? Big paydays are coming.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last time I looked all planes had wings, engines and tail and rudder! Not like your going to outer space!

Hey GL,

That commercial was filmed at MDW, and guess what ......................................................... The Airbus in the commercial is a Delta Airbus. I'm sure they we're on their way to Amsterdam, you know, since all of Delta's domestic flying is accomplished by regional jets.

No that commercial was done at Ontario and that was a volaris plane. It had a brownish tail.

Well, you are probably bored out of your gord flying your Dashs around the SE or NE, so maybe it would interest you? And, do you really think the pay will always be the same? Don't you think legacies will regain the top spot? I bet they will, and soon, and then what will the LCCs have to brag about? Not much, especially their layovers or multiple leg days.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bored????????? 14,200 post and you have the nerve to say someone else is bored! hahahahahahahah

OK..... I'll bite.

General, In all honesty you have NO flexibility. You talk the talk about 75 this or 77 that, domestic vs. international. I'm not buying it. For GENERATIONS pilots have chased the biggest payscale they could hold. Very rarely do you find a guy like the United 737 Captain that retired their 737 fleet a few months ago. That was a cool story.

You are locked in just as tight as I am. Admit it. You are stuck doing your Europe or whatever trips because you want to pay, the over-ride and the per diem. You poke fun at multiple legs a day. If your flying domestic at Delta you're doing more than 1 leg a day and your working more days per month than I am.

I, on the other hand, do have quite a bit of flexibility. I can go East (why I have no idea) or I can stay out west and do my 4 legs a day in the sunshine, 1 or 2 timezones with no jet lag and no alarm clock.

On top of that I suspect I'll make $250 this year without worrying about RJ's eating my flying. Volaris will screw it up and finally Gary will fly international. It's just a matter of time.

Gup

Bored????????? 14,200 post and you have the nerve to say someone else is bored! hahahahahahahah

Fuuuunnny.

I can't get over it..... How does one post over 14k times? ufb.

It appears he wishes he had the personality to get hired at SWA. Actually, so do I.

Does it seem like I am bored? Why would I have that many posts if it bored me to do it? You are not making sense. The constant sound of props in your ear is making you crazy. Honestly though, are you glad you stayed at Piedmont? Do you feel now that you will be a lifer there?

Bye Bye--General Lee

OK..... I'll bite.

General, In all honesty you have NO flexibility. You talk the talk about 75 this or 77 that, domestic vs. international. I'm not buying it. For GENERATIONS pilots have chased the biggest payscale they could hold. Very rarely do you find a guy like the United 737 Captain that retired their 737 fleet a few months ago. That was a cool story.

You are locked in just as tight as I am. Admit it. You are stuck doing your Europe or whatever trips because you want to pay, the over-ride and the per diem. You poke fun at multiple legs a day. If your flying domestic at Delta you're doing more than 1 leg a day and your working more days per month than I am.

I, on the other hand, do have quite a bit of flexibility. I can go East (why I have no idea) or I can stay out west and do my 4 legs a day in the sunshine, 1 or 2 timezones with no jet lag and no alarm clock.

On top of that I suspect I'll make $250 this year without worrying about RJ's eating my flying. Volaris will screw it up and finally Gary will fly international. It's just a matter of time.

Gup

No, I don't have to work the max because my wife works also. We have a "dual income" marriage. I do like making extra money now and then, but I don't really have to. I fly to INTL places because I got bored doing all domestic. There was a while there when I was going to St Thomas a lot on day turns, and ANC layovers in the Summer, but I now can do both if I want becuase our category now has both domestic and INTL flying. But, I am senior enough to bid what I want, which is great.

And you keep talking about RJs eating up the flying. Maybe you haven't noticed lately, but RJs are being parked at a huge rate. Mainline flying has recaptured a lot of that flying, which was given away by the unions initially, but then exacerbated by certain airline President's who thought businessmen wanted "frequency." That era is over, and thanks to the CAL/UAL MECs bringing up the eventual recapture of 70 seats and up for their new joint contract, even more RJ flying will go away hopefully.

It's great that you can choose EAST or WEST flying for your trips. Will you do that in 5 years? How about 10 years? Will you even care anymore? That is the sad part. There is something special about walking up to a gate and seeing that your airplane is going somewhere farther than your 1 or 2 time zones, and you are getting paid to do it. Hey, it's not your fault that you don't understand that. You are just unfamiliar with the concept of eating first class meals, taking a rest break or watching a movie in the back, and then ending up in a far away land that can be fun. You suggest Africa as a common location---yet that is done by junior pilots that have the option to bid something else, but they do not. That is their choice. Most INTL flying is great, and it beats the domesstic lifestyle by a mile. And I think you stated legacy domestic flying is worse than your domestic flying? It depends on the plane, again. Some planes are built for longer legs, and might fly 2 or 3 legs per day, mainly transcons. Some fly multiple legs. Your planes do both, but not one or the other. You may fly a long leg from BWI to SLC, where most pilots would get off if based there after the 5 hour flight. Your plane continues onto LAS, then SJC. It's called very productive trips, but exhausting. Many pilots flew exhausted in the Regionals, and now want less frequency in their legs, and longer legs at that. Southwest probably can't guarantee that.

Again, it is apples to oranges when comparing our flying----you just can't compare it. Now, payscales, they will come and go, but airline products and game plans just won't change. You fly for a domestic LCC, and I fly for a Worldwide Legacy. Apples to oranges. And BTW, Volaris may do well in Mexico thanks to Mexicana going away. That means they may become a stronger partner of yours, and maybe handle almost all of your future Mexico flights. They aren't as weak as you may think thanks to Mexicana leaving the picture.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
but you can't move from plane to plane, which can limit your eventual potential.
Bye Bye--General Lee

General, your still clueless dude.

Southwest offers...

1- Max pay for amount of time on the property. (paid very well for being on the road plus alot of time at home)

2- Stability in an unstable industry.

3- Profit sharing each and every year. (See number 2)

4- Max flexiblity in your schedule. (Drop and trade whatever you want)

5- No ALPA imposed cap monthly flying. (See number 4)

6- No RJ's

Wsurf had it exactly right..I could care less about flying another plane as long as I'm paid well. Paid well for my time at work and plenty of time at home...Southwest offers all of that and more.

Delta? Not so much.

1- Not max pay

2- Questionable stability (See bankruptcy)

3- Profit sharing every year? Not so much..

4- Flexibility? Maybe if your senior, but not if your on a horribly inefficent domestic line. Suck it up cupcake... a 3 day that pays 13..

5- Got ALPA, check.

6- RJ's? Check, over 750 on property.

Not even close General. Enjoy your inefficent trips and RJ's..

General,

Do you even believe half the crap you write?

You're funny. But not in the way you think you are funny.

Gup

Last edited:
General, your still clueless dude.

Southwest offers...

1- Max pay for amount of time on the property. (paid very well for being on the road plus alot of time at home)

2- Stability in an unstable industry.

3- Profit sharing each and every year. (See number 2)

4- Max flexiblity in your schedule. (Drop and trade whatever you want)

5- No ALPA imposed cap monthly flying. (See number 4)

6- No RJ's

Wsurf had it exactly right..I could care less about flying another plane as long as I'm paid well. Paid well for my time at work and plenty of time at home...Southwest offers all of that and more.

Delta? Not so much.

1- Not max pay

2- Questionable stability (See bankruptcy)

3- Profit sharing every year? Not so much..

4- Flexibility? Maybe if your senior, but not if your on a horribly inefficent domestic line. Suck it up cupcake... a 3 day that pays 13..

5- Got ALPA, check.

6- RJ's? Check, over 750 on property.

Not even close General. Enjoy your inefficent trips and RJ's..

Inefficent trips? So, a 40 hour 6 day trip to Europe and back is inefficient? Riiiiight. How about a 12 day trip worth 82 hours, and then the next 18 off? How about 1 day turns and home every night? That is just on the 75-76 fleet. It's called variety, look it up. You have NONE. You will fly an orange and blue 737 to somewhere that sucks eventually in your day. It might be ELP. It might be ISP. It might be STL. You will hit it, and you will run through the airport to try to get a pizza hut pizza for you and the Capt before your 25 min clock is up, and then you have to go onto Jackson, MS (another garden spot for you).

But wait, you DON'T CARE where you fly. You also don't care that your wife could be 300 pounds. You don't care what you eat----it is all the same, right? (you eat mostly peanuts on the plane anyway--no meals) You don't care where your kids go to school, you don't care about anything.... A plane is a plane........whatever dude.

And how many RJs are there on the property again? 100 left last year, Mesa just dropped 22 (Freedom Air in CVG--Sept 1st), Comair will be chopped in half and will only have 45 total planes by next year. Get your facts updated, please.

Profit sharing? This year, I bet yes. Over $90 million was put into a fund for last quarter alone, and more than that will be put in for Q3. And you say questionable stability? Sure, there was a BK, but that actually made the airline stronger (losing pension wasn't fun, but SWA doesn't have a pension either). I would think stability is more certain than ever, of course all of our airlines could be out of business if another 9-11 were to happen. But other than that, I think a few airlines are doing quite well, so you got that wrong.

Do all 3 day trips pay 13 hours at DL? Really? Are you sure about that? You stated it like it was fact. Sure, some are like that, but those have nice 24 hour Hawaii layover, which is something you still cannot do. There are plenty of 3 day trips that have 17-20 hours with credit. There are also 12 day trips worth 82 hours---would you consider that efficient? You can't even touch that. Senior guys love those becuase you can commute once, get INTL override and higher per diem, fly to Asia and hang out on the beaches of Guam and Saipan and soon to be Koror, Palau (snorkelling paradise), and then come home for 18 off, or even more if you tag another trip at the end of the next month. Talk about great scheduling.

You need to spend some more of your hotel time in ELP or LBB and think about your answers, since it sounds like you are making up most of this, or just thinking about the past. Welcome back to the future.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back