Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know what a senior major CA earned in 1977?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't disagree. And I know I'm preaching to the faithful, but unless Labor has the ability to withhold its labor, we'll nearly always be out-lawyered.

My only point was that things, post de-regulation, would look a lot different if it weren't for the RLA, IMHO.

Oh, no doubt. Still, that doesn't change the fact that we've been outplayed in every facet of the game for about 10 years now.

Dumb Pilot;

It is off topic, but speaking from my experience of living in Japan for 20 years, I would never describe Japan's highway system to be efficient and hassle free!! not to mention you will be paying out money that folds in several toll gates only to get stuck in gridlock trying to get in the city. Where is the HOV lane for buses? There aren't any!! I have driven. What about parking?? What if you miss an exit? You are screwed! I cannot imagine anyone who would like to endure the drive from the city to NRT, then pilot a B747 on a long haul. Trains are great everywhere, but NRT is in the sticks, I have never met a brave soul who has ever thought of commuting on the train or car from the city on a regular basis. It's insane. Not to mention the cost of it.

Japan IS expensive, next time, you should see how much 100 dollars would last in the city. Check out the price of a small cup of coffee, or a small glass of national beer, a night of a good hotel room in and around the city. Anyway, good day and back to the original topic.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. And I know I'm preaching to the faithful, but unless Labor has the ability to withhold its labor, we'll nearly always be out-lawyered.

My only point was that things, post de-regulation, would look a lot different if it weren't for the RLA, IMHO.

UAL brought management to its knees not that long ago (summer of love) without a strike, and they did it 100% by the book legal. No PEB or management threat could stop them. The RLA sucks but there are other means available, and in many cases more effective.

UAL brought management to its knees not that long ago (summer of love) without a strike, and they did it 100% by the book legal. No PEB or management threat could stop them. The RLA sucks but there are other means available, and in many cases more effective.

And three years later they gave it all back and more. Market forces can't be ignored.

I can't tell you for sure about 1977, but my father retired from United in 1973, a senior Capt. on the 747, and was making around $50K. In 1975 or '76 I saw a paper that showed them making $66K per year, so I think the $125K figure for '77 is a little inflated. But as PCL 128 said, the E & FA department at ALPA would be your best bet for the exact info.

HAL

Latest resources

Back