Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone know what a senior major CA earned in 1977?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAL EWR B737

Anyone know what a 12 Wide Body CA earned in 1977? I believe it was about $125K per year. Anyone have any documentation like the pay rates from a major contract in 1977?

The reason I am asking is when I teach P2P (CAL ALPA) I state it is my belief that in 1977 a Major senior Captain made around $125,000 and if you run that into an inflation calculator (depending on which one you use) it works out to a little over $430,000 in 2007 dollars.

If you look at the mega contracts (pre concessionary) at UAL and DAL they didn't even make up the difference and those contracts are now approaching ten years old.

We as a profession have a long way to go!

I wonder how they kept it up at JAL..

I heard from someone on JAL contract side that a JAL main line 747 Captain now makes $450K and gets a limo ride from/to home every time he goes to work.

I think that some incremental decrease in compensation was an inevitable consequence of deregulation. The wholesale gutting we've experienced is another thing altogether-there's no way it could have happened without our help.

Airline pilots aren't the only ones. Take almost any profession and run the 1977 numbers adjusted for inflation. You'll likely find that almost everyone is moving backwards...except hedge fund managers.

Sure the money was nice back then, but don't forget about all the hot FA a$$ Captains were getting. Ask the FA's and they'll tell ya the same thing. Shouldn't be hard to find one since most of them are still slinging peanuts to this day.

We as a profession have a long way to go!

...and the RLA.

We've been working under the RLA since 1936. Ever heard the phrase: "A Cadillac a month?" The RLA might have been a necessary tool for milling that down to "the payment on my Hyundai," but it was by no means sufficient.

Latest resources

Back