Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

anyone get out of the Chautauqua training contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just send them a letter telling them that times are hard and you are losing money and that you need consessions. And that they need to give a little. And not to worry you will get hook them up in the future.
They do it so why not give it a shot.

Seriously though, walk away. Acutally, RUN.

As far as Ed and Angle. This industry owes you NOTHING. They will stick it in you at any point for any reason. They will not give it a second thought if they break a contract/promise/handshake or whatever. At this point in this industry, there is no honor left. The pilots did not choose this, but here it is. So for these guys that think you owe the man something, well forget it.
AND no one will even ask about a training contract. If you are qualified and want the job, the recruiter will want you. Plain and simple. Just like one team stealing away anothers player.

Last edited:
Just to answer the original question-

Chautuaqua is NOT holding the many people that are leaving to the contract- not one of them. So, that's chautauqua's stance on thier own contract.

I would love to meet the first person who offers to pay out a contract after taking all responsible steps towards resignation and are not subsequently asked to pay out. That would just be assanign- bottom line.

Last edited:
Left RAH after 11 months, gave a proper 2 week notice and left. RAH asked where I was going, I told them. They said if I changed my mind I was welcome back at RAH,fat friggin chance.

lol- I didn't even give them a 2 week notice. Got offered a Monday class at NJ on a Friday. I gave them 12 hrs notice. But, believe it or not the chief pilot was super cool about it and helped me on my way. He said he did the same thing back in isthe day with TWA/American or something. He realized what a hole RAH can be- or the whoel reginal industry for that matter. Turns out he left a few months ago I heard. Eh, must be something in the water.

Best of luck to everyone!

-DK

This is not flamebait.

I am a regional pilot and I hate regional flying too and I am looking to bolt after too many years. I understand the regional lifestyle and the pi$$ poor wages that come with it (and the lame management). However, I don't know many people at Republic and I have rarely come into contact with any Republic/Shuttle America pilots on the road.

Understanding that the regional industry is terrible in general, what is so bad about Republic and flying the E170? Why are so many people leaving "early" to go to Netjets, Flexjet, Part 91, etc. despite those being better opportunities? I thought my regional was terrible but the Republic guys seem to be the loudest out there... What are some of the most blatant factors leading to early departures? From an aircraft standpoint, I heard the E170 was nice to fly... Any insight would be appreciated - just trying to understand the situation.

170 was rushed into production as cheaply as possible, many (while I was there anyway) mx issuses avionics, engine pylons cracking, flight contol issuses. As far as management goes they are trying to operate a very large and diverse regional with the same amout of people they had when it was a small regional. NO ONE at HQ ever answers a phone.

Johnsonrod-

People are getting "stuck" in the regionals now and realizing it is no place for a career. Most of the career opportunities have dried up- honestly. FDX, SWA, UPS are about the only major type airlines IMO. I am sure many will disagree. I am at NetJets now and I can tell you that this is truely a career place as opposed to a stepping stone that RAH is. I have many, many good freinds at RAH who are considering a move to NJ or elsewhere now. A lot of us came from ACA originally. ACA was a fairly decent regional, but still no career place. All the questions come into play about job stability and career options, etc. While RAH may be growing like a weed (and they surely are), they are experiencing TREMENDOUS growing pains along with that growth. Unfortunately, because of the nature of regional business (low bidder wins essentially), those growing pains get burdened onto the employees almost 100%. This is a very detailed discussion, but that is the basic issue.

As for me, I will never leave NJ on my own will- not even for SWA, FDX, or UPS. The job stabilty is too great and the intangibles of being part of a GOOD company are way to enormous to ever leave. Pay will be fair for a career pilot IMO. Probably average in the mid 100,000's over a 30 yr career all things being equal. I know everything i subject to change, and NOTHING is EVER a sure bet- I have been in the regionals for 5 years prior to my move to NJ, working for 3 different companies, flying 2 different planes. I guess my bottom line opinion is that if NJ doesn't work out to be a solid career then nothing in aviation will. All jobs are subject to unforeseen issues, but after examining many, many possibilities of the airlines, regionals, and NJ, this is truely the most protected aviation job around. Just one guys opinion. You really just have to experience it all for yourself to be a believer. And it's not in company promises- the positive intangibles speak for themselves here. Actins truely are louder than words.

-DK

PS- regarding the 170 being a nice aircraft- yeah, it's not bad. It is a cheap low-budge, big airplane. But, it was fun. After a few years in the regionals, starting to plan life out, I realized that the type of airplane doesn't matter to me at all. It's all about QOL, pay and job security. I went from the CRj to the 170 to the Citation XL. I am flying the smallest plane of my career, having the most fun flying ever. I always had the dream of flying the big 747 ----- then life happened. ;o)

Last edited:
I have to weigh in on the side of the people who say that you should honor your contract. This is coming from a guy who has bought my way out of one contract and then signed another.

This industry is too small to gamble that breaking your word is not going to affect you somewhere down the road.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters. ~Alan Simpson

Johnsonrod-

People are getting "stuck" in the regionals now and realizing it is no place for a career. Most of the career opportunities have dried up- honestly. FDX, SWA, UPS are about the only major type airlines IMO. I am sure many will disagree. I am at NetJets now and I can tell you that this is truely a career place as opposed to a stepping stone that RAH is. I have many, many good freinds at RAH who are considering a move to NJ or elsewhere now. A lot of us came from ACA originally. ACA was a fairly decent regional, but still no career place. All the questions come into play about job stability and career options, etc. While RAH may be growing like a weed (and they surely are), they are experiencing TREMENDOUS growing pains along with that growth. Unfortunately, because of the nature of regional business (low bidder wins essentially), those growing pains get burdened onto the employees almost 100%. This is a very detailed discussion, but that is the basic issue.

As for me, I will never leave NJ on my own will- not even for SWA, FDX, or UPS. The job stabilty is too great and the intangibles of being part of a GOOD company are way to enormous to ever leave. Pay will be fair for a career pilot IMO. Probably average in the mid 100,000's over a 30 yr career all things being equal. I know everything i subject to change, and NOTHING is EVER a sure bet- I have been in the regionals for 5 years prior to my move to NJ, working for 3 different companies, flying 2 different planes. I guess my bottom line opinion is that if NJ doesn't work out to be a solid career then nothing in aviation will. All jobs are subject to unforeseen issues, but after examining many, many possibilities of the airlines, regionals, and NJ, this is truely the most protected aviation job around. Just one guys opinion. You really just have to experience it all for yourself to be a believer. And it's not in company promises- the positive intangibles speak for themselves here. Actins truely are louder than words.

-DK

PS- regarding the 170 being a nice aircraft- yeah, it's not bad. It is a cheap low-budge, big airplane. But, it was fun. After a few years in the regionals, starting to plan life out, I realized that the type of airplane doesn't matter to me at all. It's all about QOL, pay and job security. I went from the CRj to the 170 to the Citation XL. I am flying the smallest plane of my career, having the most fun flying ever. I always had the dream of flying the big 747 ----- then life happened. ;o)

Good post. Well, at least you got your taste of the airline business and flying a relatively advanced aircraft there (good glass experience) - you won't have that lingering feeling about "what could have been had you worked in the airlines" like so many non-airline people.

I agree that the regionals blow and many people are looking to get out fast. I certainly think the fractionals offer a great deal with better pay prospects and a good schedule for those with 7/7 or similar. I just think picking the right fractional is important - you want one that will most likely be around for awhile. Too bad Netjets has such a lame domicile policy with only 4-5 cities offered - I hope that changes in the near future...

Just send them a letter telling them that times are hard and you are losing money and that you need concessions. And that they need to give a little. And not to worry you will get hook them up in the future.
They do it so why not give it a shot.

Seriously though, walk away. Acutally, RUN.

:laugh: This is the best advice yet! :laugh:

C

Latest resources

Back