Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

anyone get out of the Chautauqua training contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CHQ's training contract

I got hired by CHQ in October 2000. I had more than there mins so I should not have had to sign a contract. At the indoc they told me I had to so I did (I did not plan on leaving). In January I injured my shoulder on the job and on an airplane(injury required surgery). I was on one month con leave when the chief pilot called raising cain about me not working even though I was on work comp leave for the injury. He ultimately fired me ("If you can't work you don't have a job here") (funny, his wife was the workers comp rep for the company). Then he put debt collectors on me for a contract I should not have had to sign anyway. It cost me 1500.00 to fight it and ultimately get out of the contract. CHQ and Republic have no integrity so why should a pilot trying to better himself for his and his families future worry about what they owe CHQ. Go for it but be prepared, you may have to fight it. Good luck!

Leverage...

I got hired by CHQ in October 2000. I had more than there mins so I should not have had to sign a contract. At the indoc they told me I had to so I did (I did not plan on leaving). In January I injured my shoulder on the job and on an airplane(injury required surgery). I was on one month con leave when the chief pilot called raising cain about me not working even though I was on work comp leave for the injury. He ultimately fired me ("If you can't work you don't have a job here") (funny, his wife was the workers comp rep for the company). Then he put debt collectors on me for a contract I should not have had to sign anyway. It cost me 1500.00 to fight it and ultimately get out of the contract. CHQ and Republic have no integrity so why should a pilot trying to better himself for his and his families future worry about what they owe CHQ. Go for it but be prepared, you may have to fight it. Good luck!

This is a good example of what a training contract is good for at a $hitty regional airline. Come on, 2 year training contract as an SIC at Republic, the contract is not even competitive, most of these sorry ass 121 place are 1 year contracts! It is leverage that is used to make you feel like a slave... It protects the company's bottom line by taking away some of your freedoms, how can you even consider paying to leave? They don't pay you $hit to begin with.... NetJets use to have a training contract & after there T.A. got signed they became a shining star to the fractions.... So there training contract went away. This was not the case a few years ago...

Last edited:
Amen!

Just send them a letter telling them that times are hard and you are losing money and that you need consessions. And that they need to give a little. And not to worry you will get hook them up in the future.
They do it so why not give it a shot.

Seriously though, walk away. Acutally, RUN.

As far as Ed and Angle. This industry owes you NOTHING. They will stick it in you at any point for any reason. They will not give it a second thought if they break a contract/promise/handshake or whatever. At this point in this industry, there is no honor left. The pilots did not choose this, but here it is. So for these guys that think you owe the man something, well forget it.
AND no one will even ask about a training contract. If you are qualified and want the job, the recruiter will want you. Plain and simple. Just like one team stealing away anothers player.

I agree with you 100%!! Short of the Military Aviation which takes college educated candidates with no time & turns them into F-15 pilot, that you should owe a commitment too serve...

Commercial-Civilian Aviation they want you to come to the table with all the certificates, rating, flight time, etc... Training you in that airplane should just be the cost of doing business, period. I mean really some of this $hit is just weak, like Southwest Airlines making pilots pay for a B-737 type-rating, come-on...

Last edited:

If you are FIRED ... Chattaqua should continue paying you for 2 yrs as they are breaking the Contract!

Pay the training contract out of the money CHQ owes you.

As long as people continue to line up to fly for Southwest you will be required to have the type. As long as the zero to hero kids line up to fly that shiny new jet there will be training contracts.

Bailey

Bailey, truer words have never been spoken! We'll have to hook up at Hasbrouck one day.

If that is the whole story, I smell a lawsuit. Talk to a lawyer who is familiar with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Do what's good for you and your family, you are the only one looking out for your best interests! I was given that advice by an O-5 about my military career. The military wouldn't hesitate to drop you if they are fat on personnel, as seen with the latest downsizing. Same can be said with the airlines, they wouldn't hesitate to furlough you when the industry takes a crap.

Latest resources

Back