Anyone else turned down by UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

timetoquit

Got shot down by UPS despite having the intl. exerpience, MD11 rating that they are looking for etc.. Their rejection letter, dated 2 days after my interview, stated "after careful review of your file we have decided to select other candidates who more closely fit our current business needs..." (I guess they are not looking for MD11 or intl. time anymore lol). But, it mentions nothing about reapplying in 12 months, so I am wondering if this is a generic rejection letter or if I am overqualifed to ever have a chance?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Screw em. I know it's disappointing but don't take it personally. UPS has the weirdest corporate culture. Thankfully its offset by an awesome pilot group. Some HR person whose "professional experience" entails loading boxes on trucks and getting "promoted" into management may have dinged you on something. You sound like the perfect candidate which makes me think they must have been searching for a reason not to hire you.

Screw em. I know it's disappointing but don't take it personally. UPS has the weirdest corporate culture. Thankfully its offset by an awesome pilot group. Some HR person whose "professional experience" entails loading boxes on trucks and getting "promoted" into management may have dinged you on something. You sound like the perfect candidate which makes me think they must have been searching for a reason not to hire you.

Lil J, no offense to timetoquit but we don't know him. You can have all the experience in the world but that doesn't mean you are automatically entitled to the job. I've met plenty of guys with a ton of experience that have a major attitude and think they should get every job and may come across that way in the interview. Maybe there was something that he said that didn't ring well at the interview....who knows? I am not saying that timetoquit had any issues, I am just saying that without knowing him/her, you can't just say it's a b.s. call based on only his/her experience.

When I interviewed for a scholarship with SWA and I didn't get it....I was pi$$ed for years but when I look back now, I realize that I absolutely SUCKED in the interview and I'm not surprised I didn't get it......Thank God though....it was a blessing in disguise.

In any case, timetoquit, sorry to hear that and who knows, you might be happy that you didn't get it one day.

so I am wondering if this is a generic rejection letter or if I am overqualifed to ever have a chance?

Sounds like a generic rejection letter to me.

I know it's a long shot, but you didn't mention that you might be "overqualified" during the interview, did you? The fact that you brought it up in your post raised an immediate red flag to me, and tells me that you have no idea of the experienced/quality pilots UPS has been hiring lately......Just an observation.

I agree that you can't take it personaly. There can be many reasons, including the possibility that you were interviewed within a group that they were only going to take a certain number of and they might have all been better qualified. Ther's nothing staoping you from trying again, and I know of people who have been picked up on their second or third try even. Persistence can be looked at as a positive thing.
That being said, and having been on the oposite side of the interviewing table, the 2 day letter tells me that there may have indeed been some sort of a comment or qualification that "dinged" you.
Try to honestly look back at the interview and ask yourself where you felt a little discomfort or regret at a response. Analyse that from the interviewers persective if you can and try to answer the question about what makes you go back to that point and why it might have been looked at as a negative thing. You may already know the answer inside yourself.
First interviews often don't go well. Appply and interview at a few places you're not sure you'd take the job if offered. You'll be surprised at how much pressure is off of you when you don't really know if you will take the job if offered. It's great practice and a confidence builder for "the big one" Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Good luck in any case.
P.S. I saw that you had a post regarding non US passports. Do you think that may have been an issue?

Last edited:
Sounds like a generic rejection letter to me.

I know it's a long shot, but you didn't mention that you might be "overqualified" during the interview, did you? The fact that you brought it up in your post raised an immediate red flag to me, and tells me that you have no idea of the experienced/quality pilots UPS has been hiring lately......Just an observation.
Sorry, I was using slight sarcasm in my post above, but my qualifications never came up except when they told me several times that it was "obvious" in their opinion that I am very qualified for UPS. So to hear that repeated from them several times, and then the opposite in their letter is a little baffling.

I knew at least 4 DC10 guys from Omni, a Gemini MD11 guy, and 2 or 3 MD11 guys from World who got turned down by UPS! And World has some of the best crews out there! Makes no sense to me either! :confused:

who knows

Lil J, no offense to timetoquit but we don't know him. You can have all the experience in the world but that doesn't mean you are automatically entitled to the job. I've met plenty of guys with a ton of experience that have a major attitude and think they should get every job and may come across that way in the interview. Maybe there was something that he said that didn't ring well at the interview....who knows? I am not saying that timetoquit had any issues, I am just saying that without knowing him/her, you can't just say it's a b.s. call based on only his/her experience.

When I interviewed for a scholarship with SWA and I didn't get it....I was pi$$ed for years but when I look back now, I realize that I absolutely SUCKED in the interview and I'm not surprised I didn't get it......Thank God though....it was a blessing in disguise.

In any case, timetoquit, sorry to hear that and who knows, you might be happy that you didn't get it one day.

I have to disagree with you Capt...even if a guy comes across in an interview less than stellar, doesn't mean he's not a great fit for UPS or the guy that doesn't ace the sim is not a great pilot. (This applies everywhere, not just UPS)

I know several UPS pilots in my tanker unit. I also know several in my unit that got turned down by UPS. All are great guys. Some got on with FedEx and SWA after the rejection from UPS.

I think the employers like UPS have sooo many great candidates to choose from, they can't possibly hire every one they interview....it would look like they (HR) are not doing their jobs, that the company didn't need them, or that their standards were too low. At least UPS is not chewing up and spitting out candidates like SWA.

What is so wrong about a guy who is confident in his qualifications that he feels he deserves the job? In the business world, these are the guys/girls that get the job, that get the highest salary offers. Only in aviation does Bob Hoover's fellow pilots and interviewers feel he needs to be humble and keep his well earned confidence in check. Sure, we fly crew aircraft and we need to play well with others. But I don't think you can measure that very well in a 2-on-1 interview for an hour. We can't assume that someone got turned down was a total tool in their interview. Sure, they are out there, but most are wise enough to hide their tool for the interview.

Just recently, my KC-CFIC instructor (instructor of instructors) was turned down. A great guy, highly qualified, great pilot, and a really cool dude. He said 3 of 3 that interviewed that day got turned down. This was right after the 727 announcement. Maybe it was just bad luck and poor timing.

Like my UPS buds say....UPS does the stupidest things, and pilot hiring is the most baffling.

To all those that swung and missed....keep trying, get up to bat again, and try to do better next time. Keep your head up, and eye on the ball.

To all those that swung and missed....keep trying, get up to bat again, and try to do better next time. Keep your head up, and eye on the ball.

Looooove the baseball analogy GP. Nothing worse than not swinging away. You may strike out but it's better than soldiering (reverse K). And that's some great advice Fedora. Keep on plugging away guys.

In 2001 I got turned down at DAL and AA. All my buds were getting hired by DAL and AA. After the two rejections, I figured I was the biggest loser in the aviation industry and that Id never get hired by a major. Several months later I got hired by NWA and UPS. Took the class date at UPS and started class on Sept 6th, 2001... Go figure...

Yes, I believe UPS lets alot of good, qualified pilots slip through the cracks, but it is their party and we dont get any say in the way things are done. Ultimately its up to Phil Donahue... Its his show and hes been doing it for many years. I had a really goood bud who got turned down here. He is absolutely the nicest person I know and he is a MD11 guy from World. He was disappointed to get turned down but the way I see it is, its UPS's loss. Some other place will be lucky enought to hire him.

You sound like a good person, keep shooting fro the stars and good things will happen...

BBDC8

Latest resources

Back