Anyone else turned down by UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timetoquit,
Was there anything in your background check that might have been negative. What is UPS policy with regard to US passport, violations, accidents, etc. I think this information could be helpful to potential applicants.
Good luck,
Fortunately there is nothing in my background that would have been an issue, plus UPS didnt do a background check prior to the interview or rejection letter.

That is quite a statement!

How do you know this for sure?
I returned the completed PRIA forms to them during the interview. There is no way they could have submitted them to former employers and the FAA to complete a background check in 1-2 days before the rejection letter was sent to me.

Fortunately there is nothing in my background that would have been an issue, plus UPS didnt do a background check prior to the interview or rejection letter.
Thanks to the internet and any number of commercial databases, a company can compile quite a bit of information on you using nothing more than your name, address, and DOB. The information is just a mouse-click away, has nothing to do with the PRIA, and they are not required to get your permission to access it, nor to notify you that they have done so.

I'm not saying this applies to you specifically, but I don't know anybody who's ever been hired at UPS that had a DUI, a bankruptcy, an FAA violation, or a criminal conviction of any kind, ever. You have to be lily-clean...cleaner than their trucks, and certainly cleaner than many pilots I know...just to get a job driving a delivery route for them.

Thanks to the internet and any number of commercial databases, a company can compile quite a bit of information on you using nothing more than your name, address, and DOB. The information is just a mouse-click away, has nothing to do with the PRIA, and they are not required to get your permission to access it, nor to notify you that they have done so.

I'm not saying this applies to you specifically, but I don't know anybody who's ever been hired at UPS that had a DUI, a bankruptcy, an FAA violation, or a criminal conviction of any kind, ever. You have to be lily-clean...cleaner than their trucks, and certainly cleaner than many pilots I know...just to get a job driving a delivery route for them.
Like the 4 drivers charged with stealing diamonds today!

While on furlough a few years back, I interviewed for a Christmas-season UPS truck driver position. I got hired by my current company a few days before the call came back offering the drivers job, so that in itself is moot, but the funny thing is that I would have been paid more on a monthly basis as a part-time driver for UPS than I was paid for flying a 747 (right seat) around the world. Sure wouldn't have needed to hock any diamonds to get by...

Lots of great advice above. I haven't interviewed with UPS (not for lack of trying...) to compare, but I did interview with FedEx a number of years ago. The first part of the process, for me anyway, was the sim. There were three groups of six there at the same time for the whole process. The only thing I could have done worse in that sim was if I had thrown up in it, but somehow, I was one of only 9 of the 18 there who passed it. The ones who didn't included the entire gamut: fighter pilots, heavy drivers, and corporate folks. I still can't believe that many tubed it worse than I did, but that's their call. Anyway, the rest of the process went pretty well, but if I had to pick a part where I maybe didn't impress them it would be the flight deck scenario they set you up in. I understand that bit is no longer done due to a large number of "good" people that have been turned down as a result of their performance in that phase alone. If so, maybe I'll have a shot next time around, if and when it happens, but either way, the point is let them make the decision! Definitely apply again as soon as you can, whenever you find out what that interval is. If it's per calendar year as your interview indicated, that might explain why some have gotten second chances in shorter times. Just a guess, but either way, congrats on getting the interview in the first place. At least you've gotten that far! Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back