Anyone else turned down by UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gas Passer,
Ok, good points and I agree with pretty much everything you say but my point is is that just because you have 20,000 hours doesn't automatically mean you should be hired. Just like you say (which I agree with) that you can't measure a person well enough after 1-2 hours, you also can't just assume a pilot is a great guy and pilot based on experience alone. There's plenty of less than stellar guys/gals out there with a lot of time and experience.

Last edited:
I was also turned down last Nov. I got my letter about 3 1/2 weeks after interviewing, but mine said I could re-apply in 6 months...which I intend to do.

Just curious what experience levels were in the interview group. Did everyone have heavy PIC time or were there some former commuter turboprop, ex 121 jet guys there as well. Am thinking of applying but have no heavy experience. Don't get discouraged, this airline interviewing and hiring is a strange and bizarre process. I wonder how many thousands have been shot down by SWA that were great candidates because they can't hire everyone. Good luck, time to throw some dice.

I was also turned down last Nov. I got my letter about 3 1/2 weeks after interviewing, but mine said I could re-apply in 6 months...which I intend to do.
My letter makes no mention of reapplying, BUT the HR lady said before the interview started that I could reapply the next calendar year if unsucessful. Im not sure if that means Jan 1, 2008, or 12 months from the interview. Because this was not mentioned in the rejection letter has me wondering if I can even reapply or not!

Just curious what experience levels were in the interview group. Did everyone have heavy PIC time or were there some former commuter turboprop, ex 121 jet guys there as well. Am thinking of applying but have no heavy experience.
I never met or saw anyone else interviewing when I was there, so I do not know the answer to this. I was told by HR that the computer selects candidates based on qualifications/experience to be interviewed and that HR has no input anymore.

FWIW...
It seems that for every job applicant that gets the butt-jab from a company into which he would seem to be a "shoe-in," there's somebody else who gets hired into an organization into which it would seem, at first glance, that he didn't have a fighting chance. An education, good times and experience, and a letter of recommendation will get you to the interview, at which point your skills as an "interviewee" take precedence. Once your past both of those hurdles, it's really pretty much a crap-shoot.

Did you use a prep service prior to going on your UPS interview? If not, you might want to consider using one now. Flying airplanes requires one, readily-definable set of skills. Getting hired requires quite another. Simply being a "good employee" and "somebody that other guys like to fly with" with doesn't always translate into "being a guy that HR departments want to bring on board for the next 30 years."

If getting some interview-prep serves no purpose other than to bolster your confidence and possibly answer whatever questions you have about why you probably didn't get this job, it will be money well-spent.

Last edited:
I know of a guy on "that other forum" that has another interview with less than 12 months from his rejection

Anyone turned down can reapply after 6 months and UPS grants 2nd interviews on a "case by case" basis. I intend to step up for a 2nd at bat in the summer. Thanks for all the good advice, I certainly felt like the biggest loser in the industry after the reject letter but I am back up on that horse. Good luck all!

Anyone turned down can reapply after 6 months and UPS grants 2nd interviews on a "case by case" basis. I intend to step up for a 2nd at bat in the summer. Thanks for all the good advice, I certainly felt like the biggest loser in the industry after the reject letter but I am back up on that horse. Good luck all!
Is it 6 months or 12 months? I was told 12 months or next calendar year in my interview, but with no mention of it in the rejection letter. :confused:

Got shot down by UPS despite having the intl. exerpience, MD11 rating that they are looking for etc.. Their rejection letter, dated 2 days after my interview, stated "after careful review of your file we have decided to select other candidates who more closely fit our current business needs..." (I guess they are not looking for MD11 or intl. time anymore lol). But, it mentions nothing about reapplying in 12 months, so I am wondering if this is a generic rejection letter or if I am overqualifed to ever have a chance?

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Timetoquit,
Was there anything in your background check that might have been negative. What is UPS policy with regard to US passport, violations, accidents, etc. I think this information could be helpful to potential applicants.
Good luck,

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back