• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Else Considering a New Career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I debated going to my daughters school everyday and beating up kids for their lunch money...

Heyas,

I thought about med/vet school. Went back to get the pre-requisites, finished and had the grades to get in.

But the footprint is too long for med school (8 years) and the costs are high. Out of state, you're looking at north of $250k, which once you're in your 40's becomes very difficult to amortize in the time you have left.

Even if you do it, payback is questionable. Sure, there are the dermatologists and cardiologists making the bank, but for every one of those is a dude making $150k working in a walk-up office in the strip mall.

Not to mention, there is the specter of health care "reform". Nuff said.

Vet school is worse. Higher costs, harder to get into and they make crap compared to MDs. Only the most successful practice owners make more than a 757 captain.

Then there is law school. Smaller footprint, but a much higher number of flameouts. The hours those guys work is insane, and the competition is absolutely nuts. Unless you can walk into a ready made situation, avoid.

The only way to make REAL wealth in this country is to start your own business and make a real go of it.

I've decided to go back to school and aim for a professorship. Last rankings I've seen have always had college professors at the top of the "satisfaction" charts, and the tenure track is probably one of the last good deals in America for "non-business owner" type folks.

Right now, if you have decent grades/GRE score, you can slide into just about any upper level math/science/engineering programs and still get a tuition waiver and get paid a reasonable stipend to do it ($26-30k) with health bennies. Only "real" math, science or engineering type folks need apply...and no, "aviation science" or "business" doesn't count.

Nu

Ok,

I used to fly for a money guy in my previous flying job. He was a self made man and very approachable. So, I asked him how to get ahead and how to do what he did.

He told me to invest in myself. Invest in myself? Duh? I do that!! What the hell does that mean? I save, I put back for my retirement, I'm smart with my money and now I, like everyone else, have suffered a major setback. My retirement is 1/2 of what it was and the people who bit off more than they can chew are going to benefit at my cost.

I have finally realized what he was saying. Invest in yourself. Open to interpretation but now I think that means to rely less on others and more on yourself to invent your future. You can't even bank on the government in doing the right thing. The government will give this country away.

Oddly enough, I have found energy in what has happened over the past few months. It has just made me realize how inept the government, Wall Street and employers are.

My suggestion to you is to is to figure out where you want to be in 10 years and retain that vision, but start today.

There are a lot of things that will generate profits: Daycares, carwashes, even my neighbors kid makes 60k-70K in yard care. Now he's a quick kid but he's still a kid. If things like that aren't where you want to be, use them to generate an investment for something bigger.

Another very good idea is this: If you are really searching for something to generate some freedom, think of 10-15 like minded people who are willing to invest some cash for a down payment on something larger. Of that you can count on a 1/3 who aren't just talking and you will form an investment cooperative. You have an invesment group with 5 or 6 good ideas, and that many brains to make decisions. That, afterall, is what corporations do and you have spread the risk and formed your first board of directors.

Ex: 5 guys @50k makes 250k to put down on building a carwash that generates a lot of CASH. Roll that back in and start another one. The key is to not rely on the income.

Just remember this; if you do anything and are buying something or investing in something, you make your money when you buy it, not when you sell it. Get a good deal - especially now.

Last edited:
And if so, what?

I switched careers to become an airline pilot, and for good reason - I enjoyed flying privately (do what you love), the money was good, retirement good and free travel.

Well, there's still free travel.

I'm really concerned about doing this for the next 30 years...and being able to support myself after retirement.

Anyway, I can't be the only one considering a change. Anyone switching careers or going back to school to get another degree?

Also, I'm really not looking for the haters with the "quit, whining...stop complaining...quit if you don't like it" stuff - interested in real discussion and opinions. Thanks!

Are you kidding? This job give you a lot of time off and you can create a second source of income on the side.....

What other jobs offer that???

Right now, if you have decent grades/GRE score, you can slide into just about any upper level math/science/engineering programs and still get a tuition waiver and get paid a reasonable stipend to do it ($26-30k) with health bennies. Only "real" math, science or engineering type folks need apply...and no, "aviation science" or "business" doesn't count.

Nu

Would you mind expanding on this. I've been itching to get my Masters in either psych or soc. somewhere. How would one be able to obtain a tuition waiver and even more, receive a stipend of that much $$$. A couple of yrs ago, I did sit down with the Psych chair at a local school to discuss the program itself, but I didn't hear anything about a free ride.

Come to think of it, I recall meeting a guy who managed to get set up with something like this at NYU. I believe he said it had somethingbto do with his life experiences and that he would be an asset to their dept.

At any rate, I'd appreciate to hear more on how one might go about getting a free ride. I'm in need of a new direction and have been heavily pondering going back to school.

EDIT:

I realize you may only be refering to programs such as engineering/math/science and not social science. Did you mean to exclude the social sciences?

Last edited:
I'm considering it if this game deteriorates further.

This job was so much better 15 years ago before $150 airfares came about.

Would you mind expanding on this. I've been itching to get my Masters in either psych or soc. somewhere. How would one be able to obtain a tuition waiver and even more, receive a stipend of that much $$$. A couple of yrs ago, I did sit down with the Psych chair at a local school to discuss the program itself, but I didn't hear anything about a free ride.

Come to think of it, I recall meeting a guy who managed to get set up with something like this at NYU. I believe he said it had somethingbto do with his life experiences and that he would be an asset to their dept.

At any rate, I'd appreciate to hear more on how one might go about getting a free ride. I'm in need of a new direction and have been heavily pondering going back to school.

EDIT:

I realize you may only be refering to programs such as engineering/math/science and not social science. Did you mean to exclude the social sciences?

Heyas ARF,

Yes, as far as I can tell, this deal only pertains to the hard sciences, math, and engineering, and usually only for those on a Phd track. The 'fuzzy' sciences are excluded, as well as almost all professional degrees (MD, JD, etc).

There is a critical shortage of US born researchers. Colleges are croaking for people for their doctoral program where English is their first language, have no immigration issues, and are sticking around after graduation, instead of hightailing it back to the motherland with a $150k education paid for by the US taxpayer.

When I was first told this by a prof I worked for, I thought he was full of luncheon meat, BUT, I got similar deals as above at every place I applied to, including places that wouldn't give me the time of day out of highschool. But here l was, a 40 year old dude with a fresh 2nd undergrad degree, and I practically had to beat top drawer universities off with a stick.

Put simply, they are desperate for smart, responsible people who are in it for the long term.

PM me if you want more info...

Nu

Heyas ARF,

Yes, as far as I can tell, this deal only pertains to the hard sciences, math, and engineering, and usually only for those on a Phd track. The 'fuzzy' sciences are excluded, as well as almost all professional degrees (MD, JD, etc).

There is a critical shortage of US born researchers. Colleges are croaking for people for their doctoral program where English is their first language, have no immigration issues, and are sticking around after graduation, instead of hightailing it back to the motherland with a $150k education paid for by the US taxpayer.

When I was first told this by a prof I worked for, I thought he was full of luncheon meat, BUT, I got similar deals as above at every place I applied to, including places that wouldn't give me the time of day out of highschool. But here l was, a 40 year old dude with a fresh 2nd undergrad degree, and I practically had to beat top drawer universities off with a stick.

Put simply, they are desperate for smart, responsible people who are in it for the long term.

PM me if you want more info...

Nu
I am pretty sure this guy needs an atomic wedgie followed shortly thereafter by a swirlie.....

-"Well, uh, I was gonna be a doctor, vet, lawyer, or butcher, baker, or maybe even candlestick maker up until the point that the minions in academia came to recognize my unparalleled brilliance......" "That point happened to occur concurrently with the award of my second undergrad degree......"

-This guy is completely full of crap. People in academia DO NOT come out of the woodwork to shellac the nuts of undergrads and try to entice them into a coveted research position in the math dept., EVER!

-Give it up, Kazinsky!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back