• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Else Considering a New Career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm still trying to think of a brilliant idea that pays well and doesn't require me to actually be there all the time. :beer:

Two thoughts come to mind:

Congress...
Senate.

As a bonus, it's like being a stunt [email protected] think of all the folks you get to screw!

Are you kidding? This job give you a lot of time off and you can create a second source of income on the side.....

What other jobs offer that???

Join one of these:
sopranos460.jpg

- OR -

Buy yerself one of these:
sopranos_bing_1024_wp.jpg

You sound young enough that you could make out either way in this business or with a new career. If you have 30 yrs left in aviation, you'll do just fine. Despite what the public and mgmt think, planes don't go anywhere without pilots. And pilots will raise the bar here again the the not-too-distant future.

That said, I feel your pain about this being a J-O-B as oppose to a passion anymore. But as far as jobs go, it's still a good one.

I left aviation once before to pursue a career in banking. I made lots of money and had a great time doing it. But I became a different person and the semantics of that industry began to grind against the character that I am (lack of ethics in banking didn't work for me). When I returned to flying, many of my peers were years beyond me. But that's ok, I had a second career to fall back on and life experience... or so I thought.

That was in the 1990s.

After 9/11, I sought to set up a safety net once more. This time I started a business that was initially very successful. But after time, working as a pilot, and as a business owner, took it's toll on myself and my family. Then came the problems of local government, employees, banks, contractors, customers, lawyers, etc. As a business owner you have one giant target painted on your back. Everyone wants a piece of what you're doing. Everyone thinks it's their constitutional right to approach you with their hand out... then with a gun in their hand to take advantage of you when you tell them to FO. Of course, it depends on the business you're in. I was in a labor-dependant, equipment-intensive one. At the end of the day, and after more than two years of mental turmoil over the thought of "giving up", I shut the business down. I have no regrets, except that I waited too loing to exit.

The point is, sometimes reality is not as clear as the idea of what you set out to do. Try your best to think through all the variables. I'm not saying business isn't a viable option. I know many pilots who are quite successful in business. But it's not the be-all, end-all some make it out to be.

I remember the very moment I made the decision to leave Wall Street and begin the uphill battle of getting back into aviation. It wasn't easy but I did it for the lifestyle rather than the bucks. Of course, the bucks are a means to afford the lifestyle. But the lifestyle is more about the enjoyment of life than actually flying jets here and there. Once I realized a side business completely encroached on my lifestyle goals, I knew it was time recognize that wearing two hats just wasn't going to work.

Life really is what you make it, man. I love to complain, vent, be negative like the next guy. As pilots we all do it. But the moment I realize I'm going too far with it, I try to take a step back and focus on the more positive aspects of my job. Once I do that my attitude tends to change. A good attitude at work makes the gig much, much easier.

I wish you well in your endevours. Believe it or not, it is noble to admit when things just aren't working out for you and effectuating a change to improve your life is the next logical step. I myself have thought about going to law-school to become a labor lawyer on the side (seems to be a real shortage of ethical ones out there). But I'm not there with my decision yet. Right now raising the little ones and just enjoying what I have is my MO for the moment.

Heyas ARF,

Yes, as far as I can tell, this deal only pertains to the hard sciences, math, and engineering, and usually only for those on a Phd track. The 'fuzzy' sciences are excluded, as well as almost all professional degrees (MD, JD, etc).

There is a critical shortage of US born researchers. Colleges are croaking for people for their doctoral program where English is their first language, have no immigration issues, and are sticking around after graduation, instead of hightailing it back to the motherland with a $150k education paid for by the US taxpayer.

When I was first told this by a prof I worked for, I thought he was full of luncheon meat, BUT, I got similar deals as above at every place I applied to, including places that wouldn't give me the time of day out of highschool. But here l was, a 40 year old dude with a fresh 2nd undergrad degree, and I practically had to beat top drawer universities off with a stick.

Put simply, they are desperate for smart, responsible people who are in it for the long term.

PM me if you want more info...

Nu

Thanks Nu. Very helpful information. I'll PM if I need some further insight.

When I'm prepared to enter a degree program, I think my life experiences may be negotiated and perhaps I can see whether it's feasible to obtain this deal in a social science program. I honestly do feel that I've experienced quite a bit and most of it is not run of the mill mainstream ones either. Unfortuantely, I'd imagine that most schools are a little strapped now and perhaps aren't as eager to cut a deal with a student. As I mentioned, one fellow was able to swing a deal like this at NYU for a PhD in Sociology. Ideally, I would like to follow the same path. I'm big on social sciences. Was a Psych/Soc. double major and still read the field books and studies. This coupled with my varied experiences up to my present mid-30s might yield a nice deal. I've worked only in the Law and Aviation fields after college, but I need a serious change and school might be my best option right now.

Last edited:
But it's not the be-all, end-all some make it out to be.

An excellent overall post. I left an Aeronautical Engineering career making $100k per year to pursue flying. I have finally made it to a major, I am at the dead bottom of the list, and I haven't made anywhere near what I made as an engineer.

And I wouldn't trade any of it. Period!

My friends work for large aerospace corporations. They get on average 4-5 days off per month and 12 hour days. 60+ hours per week on average. All that for around $80-90k a year now. Now there is talk of layoffs. There is no seniority, they just cut where they need less people....

I spend far more quality time with my son now! When I am home, I am thinking about us, not about work. Being home every night isn't perfect either...

I'll take flying any day! All of that combined with working in a cubicle just isn't for me....

You sound young enough that you could make out either way in this business or with a new career. If you have 30 yrs left in aviation, you'll do just fine. Despite what the public and mgmt think, planes don't go anywhere without pilots. And pilots will raise the bar here again the the not-too-distant future.

That said, I feel your pain about this being a J-O-B as oppose to a passion anymore. But as far as jobs go, it's still a good one.

I left aviation once before to pursue a career in banking. I made lots of money and had a great time doing it. But I became a different person and the semantics of that industry began to grind against the character that I am (lack of ethics in banking didn't work for me). When I returned to flying, many of my peers were years beyond me. But that's ok, I had a second career to fall back on and life experience... or so I thought.

That was in the 1990s.

After 9/11, I sought to set up a safety net once more. This time I started a business that was initially very successful. But after time, working as a pilot, and as a business owner, took it's toll on myself and my family. Then came the problems of local government, employees, banks, contractors, customers, lawyers, etc. As a business owner you have one giant target painted on your back. Everyone wants a piece of what you're doing. Everyone thinks it's their constitutional right to approach you with their hand out... then with a gun in their hand to take advantage of you when you tell them to FO. Of course, it depends on the business you're in. I was in a labor-dependant, equipment-intensive one. At the end of the day, and after more than two years of mental turmoil over the thought of "giving up", I shut the business down. I have no regrets, except that I waited too loing to exit.

The point is, sometimes reality is not as clear as the idea of what you set out to do. Try your best to think through all the variables. I'm not saying business isn't a viable option. I know many pilots who are quite successful in business. But it's not the be-all, end-all some make it out to be.

I remember the very moment I made the decision to leave Wall Street and begin the uphill battle of getting back into aviation. It wasn't easy but I did it for the lifestyle rather than the bucks. Of course, the bucks are a means to afford the lifestyle. But the lifestyle is more about the enjoyment of life than actually flying jets here and there. Once I realized a side business completely encroached on my lifestyle goals, I knew it was time recognize that wearing two hats just wasn't going to work.

Life really is what you make it, man. I love to complain, vent, be negative like the next guy. As pilots we all do it. But the moment I realize I'm going too far with it, I try to take a step back and focus on the more positive aspects of my job. Once I do that my attitude tends to change. A good attitude at work makes the gig much, much easier.

I wish you well in your endevours. Believe it or not, it is noble to admit when things just aren't working out for you and effectuating a change to improve your life is the next logical step. I myself have thought about going to law-school to become a labor lawyer on the side (seems to be a real shortage of ethical ones out there). But I'm not there with my decision yet. Right now raising the little ones and just enjoying what I have is my MO for the moment.

Excellent post.

-This guy is completely full of crap. People in academia DO NOT come out of the woodwork to shellac the nuts of undergrads and try to entice them into a coveted research position in the math dept., EVER!

Heyas,

Think what you want, skippy. For your typical undergrad, I'd probably agree. But, my 1st degree was in engineering, and during my 2nd I did a ton of publishable research, as well as TA'ing for 6 semesters. The 8 letters of recommendation, including 3 from department heads didn't hurt.

Those just happen to be the stats "academia" is looking for. Nice things happen to nice guys...:)

Nu

An excellent overall post. I left an Aeronautical Engineering career making $100k per year to pursue flying. I have finally made it to a major, I am at the dead bottom of the list, and I haven't made anywhere near what I made as an engineer.

And I wouldn't trade any of it. Period!

My friends work for large aerospace corporations. They get on average 4-5 days off per month and 12 hour days. 60+ hours per week on average. All that for around $80-90k a year now. Now there is talk of layoffs. There is no seniority, they just cut where they need less people....

I spend far more quality time with my son now! When I am home, I am thinking about us, not about work. Being home every night isn't perfect either...

I'll take flying any day! All of that combined with working in a cubicle just isn't for me....

Good post.

My question to you is...do you think you will still be able to make the same post after you are furloughed this coming Sept. and spend one or two years selling used cars?

Then back on first year pay when/if you come back? That is a long time to be just getting by. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth with regards to the 'fun' of it. Causes big family problems too.

All of this is hypothetical of course but the severity of this economic down turn is unknown and the 'stimulus package' is an experiment that may or may not work. If it doesn't there's going to be lots of pilots on the street in '09.

My question to you is...do you think you will still be able to make the same post after you are furloughed this coming Sept. and spend one or two years selling used cars?

Then back on first year pay when/if you come back?

For one, I do not believe there will be furloughs. But, if there are, I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I can always go back to engineering. That door is not closed at all. I am just doing what make me MORE happy. Success is not a destination, it's a journey... I can't control most of what happens, but I can control my reaction to it.

If I do get furloughed though, we get longevity pay. So I would get 3-4 year pay after my 2 year vacation.

"...and that's when the big bucks start rollin in..."

<before I get crucified - thats from Coming to America when Louis Anderson is washing the lettuce at McDowells> :D

I'm still trying to think of a brilliant idea that pays well and doesn't require me to actually be there all the time. Failing that stunt c*ck.:beer:

This type of intelligent post is part of the reason that our profession has fallen so far.

You sir, are an idiot!

Latest resources

Back