Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any truth that flying neight cargo accelerates aging?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NuGuy said:
Yes, but there is close, and not close, and you sir, are not even close.

It's one thing to use there instead of their, or brake instead of break.

It's something else to use loose instead of lose, or mute instead of moot.

But I'd say most people around here would give you a pass.

But man, when not only do you misspell NIGHT, but you don't even recognize it, AND you get pissed when someone calls you on it, well then you get a free pass to the head of the dunce line.

I weep for the internet generation. In real life, people judge you partially by how well you speak. In the written medium, its how you write. I just laugh when people write like a l3wt d00dspeaker, then wonder why everyone thinks they're a moron.

Nu

You fuc*ing dork. Let me guess flying planes is all you know. By the way Einstein your grammatical skills are unvirtuous and atrocious. You are commiting an elementary school mistake, overuse of commas. Is that because you can't conjur up a straight, consistent thought. Also in your last sentence you left out the apostrophe between the t and the s in its.

Last edited:
as214 said:
Ok guys I was just curious. I've never spoken specifically to a Fed Ex, DHL, or UPS guy but I've heard pilots from every other segment of the industry say "That back side flying is unhealthy blah blah blah".

Studies have show that it shortens life expectancy...I'll see if I can dig up the reference...

I know a bunch of 40 year olds from a couple of those carriers, and they don't look a day over 60!

as214,

Has anyone ever told you that you have serious "anger management" issues? If you get THAT upset when someone makes a comment concerning your spelling, I'd HATE to see what you might be like if someone questioned your judgement in the cockpit.

With that explosive of a "type A" personality, if I were you, I'd be more concerned with the ill-effects from that rather than flying the back side of the clock!!

Now then....take a big deep breath...hold, 2, 3, 4....slowly exhale.... (repeat as often as necessary).

aviatrix767 said:
as214,

Has anyone ever told you that you have serious "anger management" issues? If you get THAT upset when someone makes a comment concerning your spelling, I'd HATE to see what you might be like if someone questioned your judgement in the cockpit.

With that explosive of a "type A" personality, if I were you, I'd be more concerned with the ill-effects from that rather than flying the back side of the clock!!

Now then....take a big deep breath...hold, 2, 3, 4....slowly exhale.... (repeat as often as necessary).

Another rocket scientist I bet who has nothing going on outside of aviation. How do I know this? You question what is written on an aviation forum and judge from there? Fool. Also those guys who always judge others , or say that they are most relaxed are the sh*ttiest pilots anyway. Get a life outside of aviation bubba and then start with your Dr. Phil antics. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're a Republican with your simpleton look at life and judge others attitude without looking internally. Also looking at your avatar you are probably from the South. No offense Bubba, but the most attitude and bitterness I've ever seen is from people from your neck of the woods crying of the Civil War. Talk about anger and chips on their shoulder. Just because your ancestors got their aszes kicked over 140 years ago , bunch of pansies....

Last edited:
All you have to do is go to the AOC in MEM at 2 am and look at the relics walking around. There is a statistic out there, I can't remember the reference though, that somewhere around 30-40% don't make it to retirement. I feel like a frickin train wreck after 4-5 days of hub turning and it takes a couple to recover. I can't sleep past 1300 which is what time the vacuum cleaner races and the vacuum/wall stress tests begin. That said, I usually manage a couple months off with our vacation system.

PurpleTail said:
I would tell you what my first 4 months of the year have been like but I don't think you'd believe me...I will say this though I have a total of 4 landing so far this year (all in Jan) my currency would have lapsed but I had my 6 month check and got current in the sim I'm good for another 90 days.

Atta boy, way to work it. When I was doing it, a schedule like that would have meant living in Ohio....NOT AN OPTION....Im an angry southerner, or endless hours in the crash pad.

as214.......Calm Down Man! If you want to go the freight route you should do fine. As someone else mentioned, sounds like you will have other issues to worry about long before the effects of night flying set in.

a kolleeg of mine said it best shortly after he was hiured at fedex. he was axed if he thoughwt flying at night would accelerat aging. his response: "i
've been flyin at a rejunal airline for five yeers already. i think id be ded a lot faster if i kept doing that for $55k per yeer as opposed to flying at neight for $200k a yr!"

Good poin i thoughwt.

I can't sleep past 1300 which is what time the vacuum cleaner races and the vacuum/wall stress tests begin.

That is the killer. I can sleep fine in the day provided I am not in a hotel where the maids slam doors, yell down the hall, or knock on your door to make sure you really mean it when you put up the "Do not Disturb" sign. When I am flying out of home I am fine, but hotels suck. A week of that and I am a zombie.

There is nothing "Magical" about being awake when the sun is down. You don't expose yourself to "aging" rays from the moon.

Its the STRESS of being awake when your body wants to sleep that ages you.

If you don't have a good work-rest plan then you are going to be in trouble...here and at every airline.

I see SWA comming in to land at 6AM. What time do you gotta wake up to make a 6 AM landing...4AM? 3AM? You better have a rest plan for that wake up call.

FedEx has a huge variety of schedules...Day, night, international, out and backs...ETC. You are only forced to be junior once, as a new hire. Any other time you are junior it is by choice....upgrade for the money for example. So unless you are a new hire, you are not forced to fly any trip or schedule you don't want to.

I for one fly very little night. I bid day reserve and last month spent 5 nights in a hotel room and didn't fly after midnight once. But thats just my choice. I passed up 72 Captain to be able to do that.

Philerup said:
That is the killer. I can sleep fine in the day provided I am not in a hotel where the maids slam doors, yell down the hall, or knock on your door to make sure you really mean it when you put up the "Do not Disturb" sign. When I am flying out of home I am fine, but hotels suck. A week of that and I am a zombie.

That is why I wear earplugs to sleep (as well as to mow the yard, ride out to the jet on the crew bus, and for the entire flight as well). A nice frigid room, the eye bra and some ear plugs and would take a bomb going off to wake me up when I am really tired.

I'm pretty sure that I will buy the farm in a hotel fire because I will never hear the fire alarm and will surely fry like a cheetos.

FJ

Latest resources

Back