Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any truth that flying neight cargo accelerates aging?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You betcha

as214 said:
Ok guys I was just curious. I've never spoken specifically to a Fed Ex, DHL, or UPS guy but I've heard pilots from every other segment of the industry say "That back side flying is unhealthy blah blah blah". Is this true or is it just one of those things that a pilot in a lesser job says to try to justify his current position and make himself feel better. Just like when some say JBLU isnt paying for their planes in the hopes that JBLU will one day go out of business.

Too soon for me to tell personally but all you have to do is hang out at the ABX pilot lounge and see some the old geezers running around that place. A lot of these guys look like their 70+ years old.

Stifler's Mom said:
Can it be any worse than waking up every morning wondering if your company has entered Ch 11, required you to take up to a 50% paycut, furloughed you, closed one of it's hubs, or even closed it's doors entirely?

Currently living that life and sleeping quite well at night. Money is not everything. To each their own.

I did it for nine years with no problem (easy switching) and the all of the sudden, my body said, "that'll be enough of that". My immune system is now officially shot to hell. I'm still in freight, but fortunately I have been able to work a day schedule and it has made a world of difference.

Heard a rumor that something like 40% of Fedex pilots medical out before they hit age 60 - a large part of that attributed to the nights. I wonder what that average percentage is for daytime pilots. Anyone seen a study?

CaptainMark said:
What the hell is NEIGHT cargo anyway? Is that german or something?

Dude WTF is everyone a spell checker on this *********************ng board? It's bad enough having to deal with egotistical moderators. I don't exactly save my best work for flightinfo.

as214 said:
Dude WTF is everyone a spell checker on this *********************ng board? It's bad enough having to deal with egotistical moderators. I don't exactly save my best work for flightinfo.

Yes, but there is close, and not close, and you sir, are not even close.

It's one thing to use there instead of their, or brake instead of break.

It's something else to use loose instead of lose, or mute instead of moot.

But I'd say most people around here would give you a pass.

But man, when not only do you misspell NIGHT, but you don't even recognize it, AND you get pissed when someone calls you on it, well then you get a free pass to the head of the dunce line.

I weep for the internet generation. In real life, people judge you partially by how well you speak. In the written medium, its how you write. I just laugh when people write like a l3wt d00dspeaker, then wonder why everyone thinks they're a moron.

Nu

Last edited:
as214 said:

Nice job with "egotistical" though..

NuGuy said:
Yes, but there is close, and not close, and you sir, are not even close.

It's one thing to use there instead of their, or brake instead of break.

It's something else to use loose instead of lose, or mute instead of moot.

But I'd say most people around here would give you a pass.

But man, when not only do you misspell NIGHT, but you don't even recognize it, AND you get pissed when someone calls you on it, well then you get a free pass to the head of the dunce line.

I weep for the internet generation. In real life, people judge you partially by how well you speak. In the written medium, its how you write. I just laugh when people write like a l3wt d00dspeaker, then wonder why everyone thinks they're a moron.

Nu

I know how to ********************ing spell NIGHT it was a typo! You fuc*ing TOOL. I had my head down on the keyboard as I was talking on a cellphone and fuc*ing watching television. I don't proofread this sh*t

Everybody is different and some like the night flying and some don't.

Me personally, I love the night stuff and make it a point to manage my sleep while out on a trip accordingly and its not that hard to do. I HATE setting an alarm clock for an early go...that means I have to get to bed early (very hard for me to do) not think/dream about the 'over sleep' scenerio (always happens) and I am useless at 6:30 am.

I am just a night owl by nature, have been since college. I really don't mind flying all night, going to the hotel exhausted, putting on my eye covers and sleeping as long as I want with no worries of an alarm clock or oversleeping...but that is just me.

There has be NO study of FedEx pilots and effects of backside of the clock flying and NO, 40% do not sick out early...more like maybe 10-15%. THERE was a study on autoworkers that worked the back side of the clock graveyard shift and there was a high percentage that developed a variety of illnesses. Difference though is they worked 5 on 2 off schedules...even if you really mess up your schedule your 15 on 13 off and most have it 13 on 15 off schedules.

I would tell you what my first 4 months of the year have been like but I don't think you'd believe me...I will say this though I have a total of 4 landing so far this year (all in Jan) my currency would have lapsed but I had my 6 month check and got current in the sim I'm good for another 90 days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back