Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any truth that flying neight cargo accelerates aging?

• Thread starter buttercup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B

buttercup

Ok guys I was just curious. I've never spoken specifically to a Fed Ex, DHL, or UPS guy but I've heard pilots from every other segment of the industry say "That back side flying is unhealthy blah blah blah". Is this true or is it just one of those things that a pilot in a lesser job says to try to justify his current position and make himself feel better. Just like when some say JBLU isnt paying for their planes in the hopes that JBLU will one day go out of business.

as214 said:
Ok guys I was just curious. I've never spoken specifically to a Fed Ex, DHL, or UPS guy but I've heard pilots from every other segment of the industry say "That back side flying is unhealthy blah blah blah". Is this true or is it just one of those things that a pilot in a lesser job says to try to justify his current position and make himself feel better. Just like when some say JBLU isnt paying for their planes in the hopes that JBLU will one day go out of business.

Doing night flying part time is definetly a body-clock killer. I flew checks out of MDW in the middle of the night for two years, then did a rotating shift at the customs service (intentionally not capitalized) for ten years. I can tell you that constant fatigue will do you in. At the time, I was single and could sleep anytime I wanted. After kids, pets, garbagemen, mailmen, et al, come into the scene, your window of sleep is nothing that it used to be.

If you maintain a night schedule for at least a month at a time, you can adapt. But, if you try and exist on a night schedule for the weekdays, then switch to a day schedule on the weekends, you're a candidate for chronic fatigue. There are many NASA studies that outline this.

Can it be any worse than waking up every morning wondering if your company has entered Ch 11, required you to take up to a 50% paycut, furloughed you, closed one of it's hubs, or even closed it's doors entirely?

I hope it takes a few years off my life. After all, it will be the diaper wearing nursing home living, crappy years at the end!

Its hell. I was only able to turn my 3 days vacation (first year) into 2 and 1/2 weeks off this month. I'll probably be fatigued when I go back to Memphis to sit in the crash pad for the last several days of the month. I could put myself on First Fly, but that might require getting up in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
My experience is that it's not bad at all, IF you can staty on that schedule...

If you flip-flop between day and night at work or when you go back to the family, that REALLY takes a toll

as214 said:

Yes, its true....IMO. Days off are good, pay is good, and yes with a 7/7 schedule vacation is good. But after 6 1/2 years I had enough and went corporate. I wasnt a good day sleeper and after an all nighter, working that is, and only about 3-4 hours sleep during the day, it took 2 days to recover. Throw in commuting and life really sucked. I still had about 19 years left until retirement and didnt figure I would live that long at the rate I was going. I started looking around at the older guys who have been doing it for awhile and said screw this. The early 50 guys look about 60 and the 60+ guys who have "retired" to the panel look pretty much dead. I think having to pay for all the previous "captain toys" is the only thing keeping them alive.

So....if you go that route move to your base, bid reserve with last out option if you have it, then bang in sick when they call. Stay current and thats it.

Latest resources

Back