• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any news for CAL furloughees?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guess how much money I am going to make at CAL this year??? Zip, unless someone has some information and we get back online. Now, back to the topic of the post.

Well said....these guys are idiots. I made this I made that......wtf?

The point of my replies is not to "brag" about what I made or didn't make. In fact, I don't see what we make as anything to brag about compared to my peers in other industries (Doctor buddy of mine averages $500K a year and works 3.5 days per week. Wall St buddy makes $2.5 mil a year and even got a bonus after his bank was bailed out). The point was to remind pokemyhole what a moron she is for "laughing" at the newer CAL pilots by suggesting HD would be a viable alternative.

She bases all her arguements on 1st year pay, which does indeed suck. But she fails to recognize that the first year goes pretty quick. After that things start ramping up rather quickly.

I'm rather surprised I have to explain myself here.

Back to the topic at hand. If I upset or offended anyone who is on furlough, I apologize. That was not my intent. I can only imagine how tough it must be to look for work in today's environment. I have supported you all our furloughees by bidding a LTVRF line, paying the medical assessment, and contributing a tidy sum to the secrect santa campaign. And I will do anything necessary to help get you back on property ASAP!

The point of my replies is not to "brag" about what I made or didn't make. In fact, I don't see what we make as anything to brag about compared to my peers in other industries (Doctor buddy of mine averages $500K a year and works 3.5 days per week. Wall St buddy makes $2.5 mil a year and even got a bonus after his bank was bailed out). The point was to remind pokemyhole what a moron she is for "laughing" at the newer CAL pilots by suggesting HD would be a viable alternative.

She bases all her arguements on 1st year pay, which does indeed suck. But she fails to recognize that the first year goes pretty quick. After that things start ramping up rather quickly.

I'm rather surprised I have to explain myself here.

Back to the topic at hand. If I upset or offended anyone who is on furlough, I apologize. That was not my intent. I can only imagine how tough it must be to look for work in today's environment. I have supported you all our furloughees by bidding a LTVRF line, paying the medical assessment, and contributing a tidy sum to the secrect santa campaign. And I will do anything necessary to help get you back on property ASAP!

Thanks for the post. I personally appreciate all that you have done - the medical, LTVRF, and the Christmas contribution. I didn't figure you were rubbing things in our face, but the thing is just give up on trying to make logical points to these morons. Nothing you say is going to change their minds. Their posts are obviously lacking any kind of rational analysis, most likely due to their lack of intelligence or lack of ability to do any kind of logical thinking. The best way to shut them up is not to try and change their minds, but to just ignore their ignorant posts. I wish I would have been so lucky to be hired 3 years ago; things have worked out well for you!!! I am hoping that when we get back on property, hiring will be as robust as is was when you got on. Cheers.

Back on track for this thread, any more details on possible recalls?

My guess is later in 2009 than earlier.... but one never knows.

Last edited:
I am guessing 2010, but 09 would be great! I think a lot depends on how much travel demand takes a hit in the next few months.

just got back from visiting some buddies, was talking to all the crews i flew with. i don't know where it is coming from, but i talked to several guys who said from a standards meeting that the plan WAS as of a month or so ago to begin recalls in the spring, with possible hiring after the summer. i don't know what would allow this, but that is what i have heard from a lot of people.

My buddy that works there says the same thing. According to him, they are pathetically understaffed now, and even with the furloughees back, the summer is going to be pure hell due to inadequate staffing. He maintains that CAL didn't need to furlough in the first place, and simply did it for contract posturing, and the furlough/displacement/retraining costs are going to end up being more than if they had just kept the pilots. On top of that, he seems to think that they'll be lucky to get 2/3 of the furloughees back. I don't know about hiring in the fall, but he seems to think they will. One thing is for sure, in about 2 1/2 years, when the age 65 hits and the retirements start, they will be hiring like holy hell because that will be combined with getting a bunch of new airframes. He tells me that when age 65 hits, CAL will lose 58% of its pilot group in 8 years. They are going to be getting some new airframes toward the end of the year, and most likely would be getting them now had it not been for the Boeing strike, so that's the only forseeable reason to hire IMO, but of course, I don't work there and everything I'm hearing is secondhand.

I will say this, though.....despite what's been on the message boards, rumor mills, etc....my buddy has almost always been right in his CAL predictions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed b/c he's trying to get me on there, and the sooner they start hiring again, the sooner I have a chance.

Good luck guys!! I hope ya'll are back there in the next couple of months.

SFR, your anti-union attitude is surprising and disappointing. Keep it up, I know who you are and what goes around comes around.

Yeah yeah, I know you too. Your previous airplane flown data gives it away.

You glad to be over here now? And besides, I will admit to this in person too.

I have heard that pilots who had interviewed successfully but were not offered class dates are receiving e-mails stating they may be offered class dates in the fall. Apparently these pilots will not have to do the sim again, but will be required to come in for a “talk” before being assigned a class date.

Can anyone verify this?

Translation: "F*ck you! I got mine, who's with me?"

Ha ha, that is what I thought... Isn't he the married guy bragging about banging chicks all around Europe?

I guess every airline has there 2%...:puke:

AA

Latest resources

Back