Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: AQ

AQ PILOT said:
We are already short staffed, even though the interisland reduction took place, we are still hitting
the minimums for reserves.

700 base is full with qual'd FOs (me) pushed back to 200s. Heard 28 -200 reserves for Dec, nearly 100% coverage with the new reduced sked. (Haven't checked my box yet.) And that doesn't include all of the new hires who haven't completed IOE so can't bid but will be flying the line. Sounds overstaffed to me, yet still hearing about a possible Jan class. Crazy. I did 2 trips in Nov and will probably have Dec - Jan off. Something is up, but who knows what. How do those flows go again?

AQ Pilot:
I was hired in mid '99, and have about 100 below me. Management says 100+ on the furloughs though, so I just don't know where I'll be by next summer. Hopefully still flying the 767. They say they're trying to make a more efficient airline - but furloughing more than 20% of the pilots? We may have been a little overstaffed with the DC-10's gone, but no way that much. Best guess is that it is also a negotiating tactic for the 2004 contract. We'll just see.

HAL

HAL-
Well I sure hope things work out for you. I agree, I don't see how they can cut back 20%. Makes no sense. Especially with the local papers talking about you starting new routes. (Yeah, I know the Vegas route wont really be a 'new' one, but still...) One of your guys was telling me that this is real common around Xmas? Is that true? There are gonna be tons of changes in the near future in this industry....its all kind of a crapshoot right now!

Freight Dog-
That was just MY feelings on the fleet size. I also have a feeling that the Seahawks are gonna win the Superbowl. Hope that tells ya something. Nah, we are gonna grow, we have to, I just like to think it will be faster rather than slower!

Rodgers-
Read your PM, you'll be back in the -700 directly!

sorry to break in on this, but I was interviewed in sept. got shot down, I think it was the sim. I was not ready for that frasca. haven't flown a recip in four years. that thing does not carry momentum like I am used to. anyhow my fault I should have gotten some sime time b4.

have any of you heard that they have hired any that have been turned down in the past? or is it a one shot deal?

there were many on interview day that had more quals than I.

if at first you don't succede...

Hey Capt-
One of my closest friends interviewed in May. 6500 hour RJ captain. Same thing, he jumped in the sim and saw all those round dials and couldn't make it work smooth. He was so used to glass. I've been trying to get him another interview, but they like to take a break for a bit if you don't get through the first time. I'm not sure how long that break is. But, on a good note, there are people here who have interviewed twice....Good luck!

Re: AQ concession package

rodgers said:
700 base is full with qual'd FOs (me) pushed back to 200s. Heard 28 -200 reserves for Dec, nearly 100% coverage with the new reduced sked. (Haven't checked my box yet.) And that doesn't include all of the new hires who haven't completed IOE so can't bid but will be flying the line. Sounds overstaffed to me, yet still hearing about a possible Jan class. Crazy. I did 2 trips in Nov and will probably have Dec - Jan off. Something is up, but who knows what. How do those flows go again?

Did any of you AQ guys attend the powerpoint presentation on the proposed concession package yesterday? From what I hear ALPA National believes Aloha is in worse shape than Hawaiian. My buddy came out of that meeting with this.. Aloha either needs to expand the 700 flying into a large Central and South Pacific long haul operation or they will cease to exist.

Is it just fancy negotiating by clever Chinese with good old-fashioned haole connections to ALPA's Economic & Financial Analysis (E&FA) Dept? I am not sure what to think. ALPA is saying Aloha is worse off than Hawaiian yet Aloha is hiring while Hawaiian isn't.

Two airlines in bad shape, one hires like crazy to save the farm while the other is laying of dozens at a time. Go figure. They obviously went to different schools growing up eh?

You are right, something is up over there. What is going on I am not sure any of us know. I suspect there are powerful forces at work ensuring the 40.5 million in loan guarantees from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board go through. That money will be used to help finance a new fleet of Boeing 737-700's.

More power to you guys. This is the way to work the system. I hope I get in to share in the reaping of this hard work. What I am getting out of this is it sounds like Aloha Management works well with ALPA and that's GOT to be worth something. Go Aloha.

"Two airlines in bad shape, one hires like crazy to save the farm while the other is laying of dozens at a time. Go figure. They obviously went to different schools growing up eh?"

Well Aloha seems to be smart enough to realize that you have to grow the company to increase profits.
Look at aviation history and you will see everytime an airline trys to shrink to increase profits they just keep shrinking. The competitors will start to take your market share.

JIM-
Yeah, unfortunately for us to qualify for the loan the company had to show something. Without going too far into it, really the only way we could do it was to take the pay cut...really. I'd like to explain more, but A) I'd probably mess it up and B) I don't know what the general public is supposed to know although I assume if I know it, everyone does...

Rest assured though, ALPA did some great work for us and we will be seeing the concessionary money again. There is a set in stone plan for us to get every penny back. As for the stock in the company idea, something like that is going to happen as well....Personally I think we got pretty lucky with the deal we ended up with. Wish it never had to happen though!

For what its worth, I'm still sick for you guys over there. 20% of your pilot group is just bunk.....good luck and let's hope you guys catch a break!

Got Jump-

Personally I think Aloha is the stronger company by far. No offense to HAL at all, but our owners have a lot to lose. HAL's don't. The positive side for them is they have that big bond company to draw from. Again, this is all my opinion. I do know one thing for sure....neither of us is sitting pretty right now. Its too bad that merger failed. That would have saved us all. I went to the first ALPA meeting and I really liked what I heard...with the exception of the pay cut of course.....

Hog-
Yeah baby...let's keep on expanding!

AQ PILOT said:

Personally I think Aloha is the stronger company by far. No offense to HAL at all, but our owners have a lot to lose. HAL's don't. The positive side for them is they have that big bond company to draw from. Again, this is all my opinion. I do know one thing for sure....neither of us is sitting pretty right now. Its too bad that merger failed. That would have saved us all. I went to the first ALPA meeting and I really liked what I heard...with the exception of the pay cut of course.....

Hog-
Yeah baby...let's keep on expanding!

It doesn't help either if your company is nothing more than a school for CEO's going somewhere else. Hawaiian needs solid Island-bred leadership. No more CEO's just looking for an airline to add to their resume. Which malahini would be up to the task? It's not like Hawaii has many aviation experts running around either. Theres got to be somebody.

Latest resources

Back