Another degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Ace, your numbers show you have a better chance of being hired without a college degree. If Air Inc says 96% of the pilots interviewing have college degrees and then Air Inc publishes figure showing 15% non 4 yr degree at Air Tran, SWA, and JB etc. It means 4% of the pilots interviewing are getting 15% of jobs. (Don't tell'em you have degree it may improve your chances of getting a job, only kidding) Remember on this board if you don't have 4 yr degree you are looked down upon by those who have elected to deem the 4 yr degree as the only correct path to success in life.

Actually my stats come from 2004 and was for all major airlines. Your stats are from 2005 for those three airlines. Yes it was easier to get hired in 2005 due to the amount of airline hiring compaired to 2004. So my post does not lie. It is easier to get hired without the four year degree if the airlines are on a hiring spree. Plus your stats are just 3 airlines, what about the rest in 05? I don't think I was putting down people without the degree, just trying to help the ones on the fence. If you want to work for a major airline then a four year degree will increase your chances.
Cheers

Interesting thread, though most of it is just guys repeating the same thing. What are the chances of someone getting a call if they have 4 years of college but no degree or a 2 year degree? Also people are saying that fractionals/regionals don't require a degree but will this be the case in the future or are they starting to show signs that they require the degree also?

Ace another sign of the coming 2007 hiring boom. it is coming. The pilot shortage is building and will continue. Everyone on the lower end is having to work harder to fill classes.

Not to bring up an old thread, but it is from a year ago as the hiring boom started to build.

Brand new CRJ-900's are crap airplanes?. The regionals are the ones having the trouble. The airplanes are not the issue. The real issue is pay and the insecurity of the job. At USA Jet we start at 34K, first day of ground school. We have a lot of applicants. Other operators in our sector have rasided wages and increased days off in order to attract pilots. Pressure on bottom is starting to rasie wages and improve working conditions. It will spread.

Where is this job? If it's PDK, do some thinking because the position is open because the owner found out one of the pilots was going to interview somewhere else and gave him his walking papers.

Not to bring up an old thread, but it is from a year ago as the hiring boom started to build.

That may be true, for now. Once the FAA/ALPA/ATA/etc., figure out the new Age 65 rules and implement the new policy, that should pretty much kill any upward pressure in pay on the low end. We'll have +/- 5 years of pilot supply artifically building up, starting the downward cycle again- and it will be worse unless the economy keeps chugging along. When the older guys do start retiring, they'll be pushing for "Age 67" and cabotage should be just starting to kick in. I hope I'm wrong.

Go to work, get the online degree. If you go the traditional route and get a degree from a school in class, you come out and your only qualified for a regional or less. If you go to work, get some experience while you are concurrently getting a degree, you finish college qualified and ready to get the job you really want. Give up the job and you give up seniority and hundreds of thousands of dollars of your career.

I concur about getting a degree not because I think a degree is necessary and brings a lot of nutritional value* but unfortunately that is the way the game is played. I have two degrees (B.S. and M.S.) and don't "use" either one of them. I only got my M.S. to prove to myself I wasn't a dumb jock (so I guess that had some nutritional value). I would try to have my cake and eat it too...accept the job and either do the on-line or part-time thing.
I get a hoot out of companies being so insistent on a degree. They claim they are seeking the "best and the brightest". Guess Enron, MCI, et. al. got the best and the brightest. It comes to down to character and wanting to do the "right thing". But alas the Emperor has no clothes.
* I think degrees that offer technical skills such as engineering, drafting, computer science, etc. do offer nutritional value. Degrees in management and (in) Human Resources should be called B.S. in How to Manipulate People (joking somewhat).

Latest resources

Back