• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If all you ever want to do is fly, and you don't mind not having the option to apply at companies that require a 4 year degree (which includes some coporate outfits), then go get the best flying job you can and follow the Yip route.

If you want to have something to fall back on if your career desires change, or if it gets changed for you (lost medical, family tragedy, etc.), or if you want to maximize the number of companies you can work for as a pilot - get the degree.

My feeling is that you never know what the future will bring, so keep as many arrows in your quiver as you can. As Yip pointed out, some folks beat the odds and get hired at their dream job without a degree even when most folks have one. You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya?

LDJ are you a part 121 checkairman?, that seems to be something that puts the non-college grads accross the hump

pilotyip said:
Ace, according to the figures put out by Air Inc, the numbers guys, 10% of pilots hired by SWA last year did not have degrees, 15% of the pilots hired at Jet Blue did not have 4 yr degrees, and 12% of the pilots hired a Air Train did not have 4 yr degrees. But I guess they are not real majors that have the 98% purity.

So instead of 2% being hired without degrees at best 15% are hired without degrees. Seems to support the nototion that if you really desire to fly for the majors you would be best served with a degree.

Statistics?

But what we don't know is the degreed/non-degreed hiring percentages. If 95% of the pilot applying have 4 yr college degrees and 90% of the pilot being hiried have 4 yr degrees, that would mean the 5% of non-degreed pilots are getting 10% of the jobs, so the probability as percentage of the total population would favor the non-degreed guy applying for the job. But we do not know the mix between degreed and non-degreed applying. Could it be the non-degreed pilot does not apply until super qualified and the degreed guy applies right after college graduation. Statistics are funny things. We just don't know.

Last edited:
Not fair Mark, the parameters have already been defined as possession of a 4-yr. degree and non-possession of a 4-yr. degree. All other sets are not accepted. BTW almost everyone has some college.

pilotyip said:
Ace, according to the figures put out by Air Inc, the numbers guys, 10% of pilots hired by SWA last year did not have degrees, 15% of the pilots hired at Jet Blue did not have 4 yr degrees, and 12% of the pilots hired a Air Train did not have 4 yr degrees. But I guess they are not real majors that have the 98% purity.

Most major companies use online resume and applications now. Most pilots are picked from a computer generated list that scans your application and the more 'hits' you get the better your chances. The 4 year degree is just another box to check that will increase your chances for the job. It also is nice to have for something to fall back on. My AirInc. stats for 2004 show 96% of pilots interviewed had a four year degree. Looking back from year to year the percent changes. It looks like the more pilots hired/year = less with degree. Makes sense, less hiring = airlines more picky. How many pilots were hired by jetBlue, Southwest, and Airtran last year? Just hope the airlines are on a hiring spree if you don't have a four year degree.

Ace, your numbers show you have a better chance of being hired without a college degree. If Air Inc says 96% of the pilots interviewing have college degrees and then Air Inc publishes figure showing 15% non 4 yr degree at Air Tran, SWA, and JB etc. It means 4% of the pilots interviewing are getting 15% of jobs. (Don't tell'em you have degree it may improve your chances of getting a job, only kidding) Remember on this board if you don't have 4 yr degree you are looked down upon by those who have elected to deem the 4 yr degree as the only correct path to success in life.

pilotyip said:
Remember on this board if you don't have 4 yr degree you are looked down upon by those who have elected to deem the 4 yr degree as the only correct path to success in life.

what a bunch of crap....u know we never said that...some asked the question if they had better chance of getting to the majors with or without a degree...we simply stated your chances are much better to get a higher paying job with one...noone looks down upon anyone...u r starting to make idiotic and untrue statements....what gives?

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Ace, your numbers show you have a better chance of being hired without a college degree. If Air Inc says 96% of the pilots interviewing have college degrees and then Air Inc publishes figure showing 15% non 4 yr degree at Air Tran, SWA, and JB etc. It means 4% of the pilots interviewing are getting 15% of jobs. (Don't tell'em you have degree it may improve your chances of getting a job, only kidding) Remember on this board if you don't have 4 yr degree you are looked down upon by those who have elected to deem the 4 yr degree as the only correct path to success in life.

I'd be wary of using any kind of statistics to base my decision upon. I remember that the big elite state school that I first enrolled in claimed in all it's propaganda that it had a 100% retention rate; that figure was even quoted in U.S. News & World Report's college guide. Now, no school could possibly have a 100% retention rate, and when I decided to transfer from it, I found how they arrived at that number: nobody could tell me how to withdraw. Not the registrar, not the bursar, not even my college's dean. There was simply no process for it, so I basically didn't sign up for any more courses, and they didn't send me any more bills. Since they didn't have a process for it, they didn't track it, and they just claimed that nobody left/dropped out/transferred/got abducted by aliens. Statistics mean squat.

The point is, who cares how often pilots with no degree get hired at their dream jobs? When your chosen airline goes the way of TWA, and you get furloughed, it's gonna suck getting your degree at age 40, and without it, good luck getting a job that will continue to support you in the lifestyle to which you have become accustomed.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back