• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dang man, 1100 hours at 21!! That's quite the accomplishment dude!!....not to be rude or anything but did you have any sort of childhood outside of aviation...just curious?

But on to your question....I'd agree with most on this board. Go get the degree...airplanes aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Get drunk, get laid, that's what college is for...you're too young to pass that up.

pilotyip said:
Congrats Falcon Jet one, you also appear to gifted with discipline that others do not have, and you successfully completed your part time degree while flying. You are a role model. BTW how much debt did you run up going to college?

My God, YIP, you are obsessed with a dollar amount on a degree; how expensive is it not to have it in lost opportunities?

I finished my BS from UVSC's online program this semester. I did 5 semesters (had some prior college credits) and on average it was around $2600 per. Some interesting classes, a few boring ones and overall very good use of my time and money.

www.uvsc.edu

Worth doing if you are a self-starter. If you need someone to remind you to turn work in or constant feedback, its probably not for you. Can be frustrating working out administrative stuff via phone tag.

Rightly or wrongly, a 4-year degree is a virtual prerequisite to almost any decent flying job you'll ever come across. True, there are some guys who don't have a Bachelor's degree who nevertheless made it into the majors, but if you ask them, most will admit that they benefited from other factors (exceptional experience, military service, connections within the company, etc.) in their search for employment. Most of them know their success is something of an anomoly, and will implore you to finish your education at whatever cost.

My advice would be to take the jet job, and start building turbine time and a dependable work record. But as soon as you've settled in to your new position, start taking classes online. Embry-Riddle would be an excellent school for doing that, and layovers would be an excellent time for doing it.

BTW - Don't regard the last 2 years of college as a mere "formality," especially if you're majoring in Aviation. The skills you learn will come in useful throughout your career. Correcting the grammar and punctuation in your Captain's trip reports, for example...

Your whole future lies ahead of you. Trust me, it will be far easier to finish the degree now, than to explain umpteen-thousand times over the next 40+ years why you don't have one.

I see some good advice here. Get your degree seems to be the theme of this thread. However it looks like the option of how to do it is open to you. YKeep in mind you will have better job offers in the future with more quality flight time. Keep your flying job, do the degree on side.

Take the Job, don't do the Embry Riddle thing - too expensive, do a UVSC or other cheaper one, accumulate hours, stay focused. I held a full time job (non-aviation), instructed part time (as much as possible), had twins at the time all this was going on and went to school (15 credit hours one semester, 12 the others) to finish up. You need to be able to study while the others are having a good time in the bar - if this is not you, go to school full time. If you don't have the degree, you will hit a brick wall somewhere - nobody cares where you got it!!
GOOD LUCK!!
By the way, my marriage survived, twins are fine and I graduated Magna!!

JSky26 said:
dang man, 1100 hours at 21!! That's quite the accomplishment dude!!....not to be rude or anything but did you have any sort of childhood outside of aviation...just curious?

Nope, I really didin't. Had some issues on the homefront during my teenage years so aviation became my "teddy bear" if you get what I mean...

The advice means alot guys, I appreciate it. I may not even get the job, and if I don't get the job I'm going back to school, but if I do get the job I am going to ask for a day to think about it and make a decision. The problem is, the gr*************** looks greener on the college side as well as the Beechjet side.

Check the figures

Ace, according to the figures put out by Air Inc, the numbers guys, 10% of pilots hired by SWA last year did not have degrees, 15% of the pilots hired at Jet Blue did not have 4 yr degrees, and 12% of the pilots hired a Air Train did not have 4 yr degrees. But I guess they are not real majors that have the 98% purity.

Yip,

You're missing the point! Beating the odds won't happen if you don't get called for the interview! I have apps in at all three of the places you mention, and they have yet to call.

Here's another stat for you: 1000% of all new hires at UPS and FedEx have the degree.

IF your career goal is flying for the majors or fortune 100 corporate, not getting the degree is a severe handicap.

Latest resources

Back