Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B1900FO

I'm in sort of a pickle...

I have an interview next week with a local flight department flying a Beechjet. The money would be above industry standard, and its a good company overall, however I am also only 21 and have not finished my degree. With that being said I am currently accepted to start the fall semester at a large university.

My question to the guys in the majors, which still, believe it or not is ultimately my career goal, is should I take the Beechjet job and do an online degree or go to the large university and finish my degree there?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have...

Get a real degree and have a fallback if your aviation career does not pan out. You will never regret getting an education.

If this job and flight department is your career goal ... congratulations ... take the job and never look back.

If, as is often the case in aviation, this job is one of many during the course of one's career listen very carefully.

Unless you really need the money to stay out of jail ... thank the department profusely and tell them you are going to finish you college degree.

It is extremely difficult to go back to school once you are accustomed to the paycheck. While not impossible by any standard, returning to an academic setting full time after being able to afford something other than McDonald's for dinner is a challenge.

Best of luck ... in this industry all of us need some.

4 years of college was the most fun I ever had. The last 7 years of airlines have been very trying.
Get the education (not aviation related) in my opinion because the airline industry is pure luck and there is absolutely no planning involved.

You might even find flying not so rewarding, since it is all based on senority and zero performance.

Own your own business and fly your own plane when you want. When your company asks for a paycut you can tell them to stick it.

Take the jet job for experience and then get on with one of the regionals with a flowthru, that way you can get on with a major without needing a degree.

B1900FO said:

I have an interview next week with a local flight department flying a Beechjet. The money would be above industry standard, and its a good company overall, however I am also only 21 and have not finished my degree. With that being said I am currently accepted to start the fall semester at a large university.

My question to the guys in the majors, which still, believe it or not is ultimately my career goal, is should I take the Beechjet job and do an online degree or go to the large university and finish my degree there?

Take the job, take the money you "would have" spent on college and invest it in a relatively safe, but higher paying interest-bearing instruments. The nest egg you will have will make it easier to go to school if aviation doesn't work out...... or will just be fun money if you get on with a high-paying corporate job or a major airline.

Go to school and enjoy the social benefits of a large university. And by the way, when you graduate, I would bet my life savings that there will be another beechjet job available and you'll be that much better off.

Ready2Fly said:
Take the jet job for experience and then get on with one of the regionals with a flowthru, that way you can get on with a major without needing a degree.

so you are betting it all on a flowthru?

sounds like a recipe for a "regional lifer" - read that as a dead, frustrating, poor career..

FINISH THE DEGREE. If you a 100% certain you have the discipline to do it online and fast, take the job and do it online.... If not, say thanks and finish it up quick and look for a better job. Just FYI, very very few who start degrees/advanced degrees online ever finish - Im one of them, so are many I work with. Its just very hard...especially when you dont HAVE to. You have a job and you feel comfy -- until you are looking again.

Corp/charter gigs flying beechjets is not the apex of corp aviation. They come and go often. There will be better....and yes, this career is bad enough as it is - you must position yourself to get to the absolute best jobs. In other words, get the degree quick, one way or another.

One question? does this "good company" have tuition reimbursement? food for thought...

good luck.

Last edited:
Ready2Fly said:
Looks like you're still reading those old FSI magazine ads from the mid 90's. Who has a flow through? There aren't any!! The closest thing to that is the furloughed AA mainline --> Eagle situation. What even qualifies you to give advice when you aren't in this industry?

Ready2Fly is TheGuat, Rhoid, FreightNazi, IHaveAPension, E170GuppyKiller, GuppyKiller, TheGuppyKiller, OUT, ABXpert, 410Dude, LucyFurr, RJDC, TheMissingLink, UPSer, BR549, psysix, and all the other ones...

Last edited:
B1900FO said:

Dang if you have gotten this far by age 21 then you are on the right track. Look into that job, pay attention to schedule and benefits. Will their schedule allow you to take night classes somewhere, or even daytime classes? If not, are you motivated enough to finish a degree online?

That being said, at this level, look for the *easiest* way to a degree. Some aviation programs will give you lots of credits for your ratings... that could speed things up. If that doesn't work out, go for the easiest possible option. Avoid being bogged down by college [SIZE=-1]bureaucracy[/SIZE] at all costs. If that job really is something you can't pass up, then take it, but keep your options open. Make a plan to get your degree and stick to it! There are many paths to success here. I'm sure you've read all about this topic by now. It is possible to have a great career in aviation without a degree, but it is harder.

Latest resources

Back