• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another Airtran/SWA cockpit thread

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe you're right. I'll never ignore history, nor will I ignore experience. I can only tell you how I'll behave.

Having said that; An interesting and amusing anecdote:

One of our pilots had the infamous SWA pilot 'SundownerS3' on an AirTran jumpseat as he was traveling home to Florida. Despite his vitriol on this board, and his spite .... He spent the flight sleeping, drooling and talking about the fact he'd never be a Captain at SWA because he'd spent to long in the Navy and at JetBlue. He's actually quite normal and apparently comes across as a decent guy.

The AirTran Captain who carried him ne
ver mentioned that he knew who he was. They shook hands and went on their way.

:D

I hadn't heard that. I haven't seen him on here in a while. I'd like
to think that he came to the conclusion that we're all just airline pilots, and not the enemy.

Last edited:
I disagree. When it's done .... It's done. We'll move on.

The FO needs to have a little non punitive chat with Pro Standards. If he's that pissed off or that immature then this stuff is obviously affecting his performance. More than most.

While you are correct, you fail to understand the concept of taking a walk in another person's shoes. A good experienced capt should know this. Are you one of those Gulfstream guys? Never spent much time as a FO? Well you will understand that swa is not that way. Think internal customer service.

wave,

no offense but stapling 650 AAI FOs seems not fair and equitable...just as much so as having a 2005-6 AAI CP making more than I do as an 11 year SWA FO for the next 9 years...we all have our opinion and it won't matter bc the AAI MEC will never let this get to a vote...

You've got to be f^cking kidding me. I'm glad most Swapa pilots intensely disagree with you. I don't even think most AT FOs that got stapled disagree. You just got to selfish irrelevant status. But good try attempting to win points from the AT pilots for your cause by throwing the junior FOs under the bus. That's how United cultures start- You feel like the senior threw you under the bus w/ age 65 and bc of recession timing- you deserved more- well if it means you can get your upgrade by arguing against the junior FOs, well that's the breaks and your upgrade now is much more important than me being junior to bought AT pilots for the next 25 years.
AT LEAST 650 AT pilots should be stapled if you at the long term picture.
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have the next 3-5 years be unfair for them- and I guess you MJ, than have the next 20 years be unfair to my group.

You've got to be f^cking kidding me. I'm glad most Swapa pilots intensely disagree with you. I don't even think most AT FOs that got stapled disagree. You just got to selfish irrelevant status. But good try attempting to win points from the AT pilots for your cause by throwing the junior FOs under the bus. That's how United cultures start- You feel like the senior threw you under the bus w/ age 65 and bc of recession timing- you deserved more- well if it means you can get your upgrade by arguing against the junior FOs, well that's the breaks and your upgrade now is much more important than me being junior to bought AT pilots for the next 25 years.
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have the next 3-5 years be unfair for them- and I guess you MJ, than have the next 20 years be unfair to my group.

So, how do you really feel? An arbitrator would laugh at your remarks.

OYS

OYS-I thought we already informed you that the whole Internet could care less what your inexperience tells you to think.

If I was a stapled AAI FO I would be pissed, but I am a 11 year SWA FO with junior DOH AAI CPs standing to make 60-70K more than I will for many years to come...welcome to the airline business...

Now you guys know how we feel over here at USAIRWAYS, it is hard to understand until your standing in the others persons shoes!

I sincerely hope your merger goes better.

Metrojet

For the fo's that I know, it is not just the staple job and it is not we want to be senior to every one at WN. Now that SL9 is out, there are more undefined, unclear loop holes than are in our scheduling section.

If you told me, "hey fo you will be stapled and will get a pay raise and some of you will have to move but you will for sure be under SW contract and your 717 will be around then that is a definite."

Unfortunately the only part that is a sure thing is the staple part. We are familiar with the hopes of a sure thing with our 2.5 year upgrades that did not happen b/c of the economy. We are familiar w/ our previous regionals promising growth if we can lower cost via concessions. We are familiar w/ the fact that another airline could be bought tomorrow that further kicks us to the curb.

Our union people can't even convince each other so how in the hell are they going to convince the group? They need return to the table.

I can't believe how much this whole thing got screwed up. I am pretty sure a couple of pilots could have done a better job while sitting at a bar. At least it would have been clear cut and defined minus all the bs.

They should have taken a poll of what each group wants and I am pretty sure senority would have been the top item as it is all that matters. The rest can be erased w/ a hurricane, fleet grounding, or what ever hits us like a plague of locust.

You've got to be f^cking kidding me....than me being junior to bought AT pilots for the next 25 years.
I'm sorry, but I'd rather have the next 3-5 years be unfair for them....

Thanks for showing your true canyon blue colors...an arrogant, selfish jerk who is only interested in HIS upgrade and willing to steal the rightful seniority of his soon to be peers.

And you wonder why there will be long term lingering bitterness in SWA cockpits FOR DECADES.

wave,

no offense but stapling 650 AAI FOs seems not fair and equitable...just as much so as having a 2005-6 AAI CP making more than I do as an 11 year SWA FO for the next 9 years...we all have our opinion and it won't matter bc the AAI MEC will never let this get to a vote...

That number (650) is not far from the number of AT guys with active applications at SW on 9/27.

And these guys get our longevity pay on top of it, and no probation, interview, type etc.

While you are correct, you fail to understand the concept of taking a walk in another person's shoes. A good experienced capt should know this. Are you one of those Gulfstream guys? Never spent much time as a FO? Well you will understand that swa is not that way. Think internal customer service.

"While you are correct, you fail to understand"...WTF are you talking about ? Did you even read the original post by 'JBall', who is a SWA pilot ? The post I was responding to.

No I'm not a Gulfstream guy. Were you hammered when you posted this Tex ? Or is reading comprehension not your thing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back