Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annual Inspection, Lots Of $$ This year! Mag's Oh My!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I Still Will Fly In IMC. I will just be on a more strict maintenance program with this airplane!

I'm sure that'll be a boatload of comfort when your vacum pump (your only vacum pump) fails, as they often do...or your electrical source (your only electrical source) fails as they often do...in IMC.

You've already engaged in foolish and stupid behavior by flying the aircraft in it's condition without any forethought or effort to check...why continue foolish and stupid behavior? This ought to be a wakeup call, not just for your maintenance habits, but for your entire method of operation.

It's not too late. Just say no.

avbug said:
I'm sure that'll be a boatload of comfort when your vacum pump (your only vacum pump) fails, as they often do...or your electrical source (your only electrical source) fails as they often do...in IMC.

You've already engaged in foolish and stupid behavior by flying the aircraft in it's condition without any forethought or effort to check...why continue foolish and stupid behavior? This ought to be a wakeup call, not just for your maintenance habits, but for your entire method of operation.

Are you saying you would never take an airplane, like a Piper Arrow (200hp/retractable gear) into IMC that only has 1 vacum pump and electrical source (minus the battery)?

avbug said:

Whatever, Single Engine, Single Pilot IFR is Know to happen often very often! its within my comfort level! We get lots of IFR here in the Pacific North West.

its within my comfort level!

It is apparently within your vast experirence level, too, both of which happily coincide and come together in the cockpit of your over TBO Cessna 150.

Sounds like all your bases are covered. Go for broke.

avbug said:
It is apparently within your vast experirence level, too, both of which happily coincide and come together in the cockpit of your over TBO Cessna 150.

Sounds like all your bases are covered. Go for broke.
Said nothing about a vast experience level, I know this little 150 keeps me current! Not sure how your concluding TBO the Engine is 960 SMOH TBO Is 1,800

Vacuum Pump 100 hours, Alternator 200 hours, Battery 200 Hours, all Avionics have been tested, tuned, & serviced with in the last 1.5 Years “except for ADF removed that & shipped today for servicing”

As with everything in aviation you are always learning, I have never claimed that I have vast experience in anything, I do claim that I am experiencing & learning. I trust my airplane more than any FBO’s airplane!

For your info, I am a pilot & an aircraft owner so I am Broke! So I got that coverd:beer:

I've seen dry carbon vane vacum pumps make it six hundred hours, but I've seen a LOT fail at 6 hours, too. Don't let your 100 hour pump instill any confidence in you; it's not warranted.

Your alternator has two hundred hours. Dandy. And your regulator, and the components in the alternator? And any other electrical components which might interfere with normal operations? Had any electrical failures in the airplane, yet? You will.

Had an experience with carburetor ice that had given you a good dose of reality yet? You may. Probably best reading about it and learning without having to experience it, though, because experiencing it might kill you.

Age of the battery is a bigger concern than hours, which are irrelevant. Current battery maintenance is important...but how much do you know about that battery?

Forgetting TBO...960 since major. Do you suppose that will give you 1,800 hours until the next "overhaul?" If so, you suppose in error, and that error could kill you. Your finds during this annual bear that much out, but don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. Just make sure you don't have anybody else on board, and you're out of the ocean when it happens.

"Overhaul," and subseqently "SMOH," mean NOTHING. What you have is an engine that's past TBO, period. Overhauled means that it was looked at and put back together, quite possibly with nothing having been done. Certainly nothing was done for your mags...how much else of that engine do you trust?

You trust too much.

Too much trust kills.

At your experience level you're supposed to be stupid. Don't abuse it.

avbug said:
I've seen dry carbon vane vacum pumps make it six hundred hours, but I've seen a LOT fail at 6 hours, too. Don't let your 100 hour pump instill any confidence in you; it's not warranted.
Totally Understand, Vacuum Pumps Are Designed to Fail! That’s Why I Practice No Gyro Approaches A lot

avbug said:
Your alternator has two hundred hours. Dandy. And your regulator, and the components in the alternator? And any other electrical components which might interfere with normal operations? Had any electrical failures in the airplane, yet? You will.
With enough flight time & the more time I put in I am bound to experience a failure one day!

avbug said:
Had an experience with carburetor ice that had given you a good dose of reality yet? You may. Probably best reading about it and learning without having to experience it, though, because experiencing it might kill you.
Yes I Had Carb Ice Problems Total Engine Out, Ended Up Cable Was Not Opening Flap In Carb Box All the Way, Was Fixed!

avbug said:
Age of the battery is a bigger concern than hours, which are irrelevant. Current battery maintenance is important...but how much do you know about that battery?
Battery was replaced 2 years ago with new and has been serviced at each oil change.

avbug said:
Forgetting TBO...960 since major. Do you suppose that will give you 1,800 hours until the next "overhaul?" If so, you suppose in error, and that error could kill you. Your finds during this annual bear that much out, but don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. Just make sure you don't have anybody else on board, and you're out of the ocean when it happens.
It's a machine & any machine or part of it can fail at anytime I don't deny that.

avbug said:
"Overhaul," and subseqently "SMOH," mean NOTHING. What you have is an engine that's past TBO, period. Overhauled means that it was looked at and put back together, quite possibly with nothing having been done. Certainly nothing was done for your mags...how much else of that engine do you trust?
Log book entry only thing in the case that was reused on this run was the case & gears! New Crank, New Cam, New Rods, New Cylinders, Ect. Overhaul was not done by the A&P that installed it or the accessories either! All Engine accessories were reused except for the Carb it was replaced with overhauled one!

Referance TBO Info http://www.tcmlink.com/serviceBulletins/pdf/sil98-9.pdf

avbug said:
You trust too much.
I don't trust at all!!! I just accept and I am comfortable the risk! “Anytime one goes faster than a walking pace or elevates themselves from the ground they are also accepting risk!” Your comfort level may be different from Joe Blow's comfort level & it's certainly different than mine! But other’s in aviation are comfortable & accept the risk of flying singe engine IFR.

I myself will not go Snow Skiing because I think it is to risky of an activity! But I will go bungee jumping!

To each their own, right

avbug said:
Too much trust kills.
Totally Agree, Too much trust dose kill thats why I own & do not rent very often!

But other’s in aviation are comfortable & accept the risk of flying singe engine IFR.

Yes. Generally those such as yourself who lack the experience to know better, and who are too cocky to listen to wisdom to the contrary.

Of course, a lot of foolishness takes place in life on the justification that "others do it."

Totally Understand, Vacuum Pumps Are Designed to Fail! That’s Why I Practice No Gyro Approaches A lot

No, vacum pumps are not designed to fail; you do not understand. However, your justification for engaging in the activities you do is acceptance that you're likely to be put in a risky situation, and therefore it's okay because you train for it. A little like arriving at a gunfight with an unreliable weapon on the justification that "it's okay, I practice reaching for my backup weapon a lot."

Sounds good on paper, and might just make a great epitaph.

Yes I Had Carb Ice Problems Total Engine Out, Ended Up Cable Was Not Opening Flap In Carb Box All the Way, Was Fixed!

Ah well! Everything is okay, then. Carry on.

It will probably never happen again. :rolleyes:

Battery was replaced 2 years ago with new and has been serviced at each oil change.

Two years is just about time for replacement, then...you're nearing the realistic service life, and you are fully trusting that it's perfectly okay. Good game plan.

I don't trust at all!!! I just accept and I am comfortable the risk! “Anytime one goes faster than a walking pace or elevates themselves from the ground they are also accepting risk!” Your comfort level may be different from Joe Blow's comfort level & it's certainly different than mine! But other’s in aviation are comfortable & accept the risk of flying singe engine IFR.

Would twere that we might all ascend to that level of confidence. However, I am reminded of the old saw: "Teenagers, now is the time to leave home and pay your own way while you still know everything. Good luck with that.

Well, I admit I don't know everything,

To let you know "Murphy" lives in my house & tags along with me we have an established relationship! He sets the rules & I cannot chage them!

"So if it can happen it will and yes it can & will happen to me one day or another best I can do is accept it & try my best to survive it!"

"There is only 2 things I can be certin of & will happen in life that's death & taxes"

"You never know what can happen life has been given to you, take it seriously & enjoy it becuse you cannot get another one once its gone!"

So Lets Drop The Subject Of The "Stupid Human Factors" And get Back To Maintance & Parts Talk!

Latest resources

Back