Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annual Inspection, Lots Of $$ This year! Mag's Oh My!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NW_Pilot

The Annual on my 1976 Cessna 150M went very well! It was a very long day Saturday 10-29-05, We now have the airplane mostly all sealed back up Waiting On Parts!

1, New ELT Battery Installed & Tested, Complete

2, Repack Wheel Barings Inspect Brake System, Complete

3, Replace All Aileron Hinge Screws & Nuts, Nylocks Rusted Screws Rusted, Complete

4, Check Mag's, Slick 4201’s Recommended Mags Should Be Serviced No record In Logs Of Mag’s Being Serviced Ever:confused: But IA Says Part 91 Not Required, Removed For Servicing On 10-29! 10-30 Found Crack’s In Housings :( Barings Were Worn Out :( The Seals In 1 Were Shot :( Large Gear Was Beyond Limits & Brush Was Stuck :( Good Decision I Made For Removal & Inspection! Bad For Wallet $1,225.00 :bawling:+ Exchange + $150.00 Mail In Rebate:) Includes 2 4301 Mag’s & Harness! I Fly This Bird In Actual IFR So I Had the Inspection Done, Glad I Did!!!!!!

5, Throttle Cable Housing Broken & Brittle, Need To Replace Throttle Cable Will Order Monday Along With New Mixture Cable At Same Time Why Replace One With Out The Other! & I Would Like The Veneer Mixture, I Will Order On Monday Looking About $350.00:(

6, Fuel Tank Cross Vent Rubber Wing Root Cross Vent Tube Has Cracking Needs Replacement! Will Order On Monday Part Cost $5.00 A Foot Local No Telling Labor Costs Have To Drop Head Liner!

7, Replace Vacuum Pump Filter, Complete

8, Nut Plate AD Termination Recommended, When Other Parts Arrive Will Be
Complete. Est. About 5-6 hours Labor $250.00

9, Oil Seepage From Oil Screen Housing, Replaced Crush Gasket Again!

10, Changed Oil & Filter, Cut & Inspected Oil Filter All Ok.:)

11, Since Mags Were Removed Inspected Gears In Engine All Looked Good.

12, Dressed Prop Had A Few Small Nicks Have To Stay Off them Gravel Strips!

13, Few other little things that are not airworthiness issues that are being
done! I left the list at the airplane!

14, Compressions Were All 76/80 or better:beer:

Annual Inspection Complete! Not many Squawks This year & nothing real Expensive! Except For Mags! I Had To Dip In To My CFI Training Money Ouch!! The Parts That Are Needed Will Be Ordered On Monday And Replaced This Week While I Am Flying A 210 Almost 2000NM For A Customer!

Everything Will Be Signed Off At One Time, The Throttle Cable Was A Big Surprise & Also The Mag’s Were A Surprise How Bad They Really Were Kind Of Scared Me A Little, So Far This Annual Has Not That Bad Fairly Quick & Through.

I like this owner assisted annual always learning! I Learned how having an airplane in 1 climate "wet & moist" most of its life then going to another climate "hot & dry" for a few months really reeks havoc on old rubber parts! I learned That Mag’s Should be Checked Out At Leased Every 500 Hours Or @ Every Annual! This Is My Second Annual Ever So Still Lots More To Learn.

I Will Fill You all In Next Week! When She Is All Put Back Together.

Steven Rhine
CP-ASEL-IA
N7676U 1976 C-150M

Last edited:
I Fly This Bird In Actual IFR So I Had the Inspection Done,...The Mag’s Were A Surprise How Bad They Really Were Kind Of Scared Me A Little,

Hopefully it scared you enough to reconsider the wisdom of taking the airplane into instrument conditions any more, too.

No, I Still Will Fly In IMC. I will just be on a more strict maintenance program with this airplane!

Looking At The logs At Overhaul, There Are 960 hours On Engine SMOH Now! They Said Replaced With Serviceable Mag’s.

Last Entry's Were Back In 11-01-1978 When It Received New Slick Mags & In 1980 mags Had an emergency due to AD so were replaced with Slick 4201 mags , 1983 Same mages Had Another Ad Mag Switch Check, In 1983 Mags Were Re Timed, & Replaced Points & Coil In Right Points & Dist. block On In Left, That Was it Until 1999 OH When Replaced Mags With Serviceable Ones.

I have put almost 300 hours on this bird in a Year & A Half not many problems always fired up really fast on A bump of the ignition switch. Fly’s straight & has excellent performance for a 150.

I Thank My IA for Bringing The Mags To My Attention, He's Always Good At That! Glad I Had Them Removed & Looked At. The Cost is Really not That Much For The Safty Involved In Having New Ones. Every Thing Is All :cool:

I think I have learned more about airplane & their systems by owning my own!

Last edited:
avbug said:
Hopefully it scared you enough to reconsider the wisdom of taking the airplane into instrument conditions any more, too.

Gotta agree, a 150 IMC? I wont even fly the damn things over a large pond.

Latest resources

Back