Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annual Inspection, Lots Of $$ This year! Mag's Oh My!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Long flight over the mountains. Take instruction in flying around the mountains; learn the basics.

Being a "flatland flyer" I wouldn't even consider it without plenty of instruction.

Pick a route that allows you to make a safe forced landing.

"Safe forced landing"? I'd like to know how that is even possible.

Carry fuel, flares, a mirror, water, protective clothing.

Will do, but what if the flares ignite the fuel and burn up my jacket?

File a flight plan.

Done, but what if the SAR teams can't find me anyway?

Practice forced landings.

Kinda rough on airplanes. I do routinely pratice power off landings, and plan on learning to fly gliders.

Get some experience flying around terrain.

Will do

Watch the weather and plan your flight accordingly.

Only durring the good weather that never turns ugly without the weathermans OK, right.

Avbug you have perfectly described a plan to reduce the inherant risks that are a part of flying over the mountains. I will follow your advice in the future.

OTOH, plenty of stuff can still go wrong.

At this time flying over the mountains is an unacceptable level of risk for me. Mainly because of my lack of experiance in this area. Perhaps when I recive more training and experiance I will decide that those risks are less than they are now and a safe flight may be possible.

Its well documented in the past that Avbug used several alternate aliases to come to his aid when challenged on this board. Review the archives if you doubt me.

I'm not really sure what that has to do with the thread topic, but it's a lie all the same, as I have never used an alias to support myself. On a couple of occasions I've used someone else's computer when they hadn't logged out, and didn't realize it...that's all.

I won't engage him.

Too late, and you've done it before, haven't you?

Eventually gravity is going to win if enough things break.

UAL 232

TWA 007

Gravity didn't win over UAL 232. A miscalculation during landing after a catastrauphic failure resulted in a number of deaths, but preparation and professionalism by the crew prevented a lot more.

KAL 007 was certainly not a gravity issue; like flight TWA 800...it was shot down.

Luck, chance, risk? No.

All factors which can be eliminated.

Don't justify. Eliminate.

"Safe forced landing"? I'd like to know how that is even possible.

It had better be possible. If it isn't for you, then you need more remidial training. If the out is in doubt, then you've failed the test.

Last edited:
nitrogen said:
I am not saying you're one of his aliases but I will remain cautiously pessimistic.

Good plan. This is, after all the internet. But if you dig just a little bit, you'll see that I've got a long established identity on this forum and others. You'll also find that I have on a number of occasions over the years disagreed with Avbug. Additionally, You'll see mention of the fact that I know a couple relatively prominent forum members in real life, as in: have hoisted brews with them, so I think you can probably rule me out as an Avbug alter ego.

BTW, I know what his stance is on emergencies, and while I won't go as far as to say that an in flight fire isn't an emergency, I tend to agree with him generally, in that not everything which goes wrong in an airplane is a reason to declare an emergency. Specifically, engine failures (an area in which it's safe to say that I have more experience than most here) are not necessarily emergencies.

Latest resources

Back