Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annual Inspection, Lots Of $$ This year! Mag's Oh My!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fail to understand where avbug is coming from on this one.

IFR in a C-150 is not inherently more dangerous than any other single engine airplane (just a lot slower).

NW_pilot sounds like he has taken a proactive aproach to fixing up and maintaining his airplane. He also sounds like he understands the inherent risks and reduces them as best he can.

Sure, we would all like to fly around in super reliable buisnes jets with redundant systems, but none of us will ever be able to aford that.

There is nothing risk free about hurling yourself through the air at over 100MPH in an aluminum can. Flying is as safe or unsafe as the pilot makes it. Each pilot must determin himself what level of risk he is willing to accept.

I bought my first 150 in 1981, it was a '77 model. I liked it because it had the pre select flaps, and better than a 152 because it 40 deg vs 30 deg, and a 12 volt electrical system. Twelve volt compontents are more affordable than comparable 24 volt items.

When I purchased 704JG, it had about 550 hours on it. It wasn't used as a trainer. At 1900 hours on the engine, I decided to replace it. The vacuum pump that was on it was the original cast iron unit that was bolted on when the plane was built. The key to pump longevity is a.) Keep engine cleaning fluids away from the pump and drive coupling, b.) replace the vacuum relief valve and instrument air filters on a regular basis.

USMCmech said:
I fail to understand where avbug is coming from on this one.

I fail to understand why he thinks others should be restricted from it. He can do what he damn well pleases with or without a C150 but he has no business telling others they are stupid or they should not do this or that.

Restriction of our lives to exclude every last thing that might be unsafe is what is happening folks. Soon we will all be stored in a vat of jello cushioning inside climate controlled rooms, fed green goop through IV lines, and never allowed to venture out into the dangerous outdoors.

Sounds like a blast....Why wouldn't you take a 150 IFR.

I've taken single engine planes coast to coast border to border several times through all types of weather and had a blast doing it.

I think I've had two alternator failures and one vacume failure. I've also had partial power loss etc....

Sometimes I think people forget airplanes flew before FMS and Jet A.

You guys just don't get it do you?

Ever wonder why AVbugs posts seem to make some sense but don't quite ring true?

Simple. We went throught his about 3 years ago but it didn't stick I see. Back then he actually had a profile claiming all sorts of quals.

I queried him several times on some and he eventually removed all of them and now has nothing listed.

Well, even then I suspected he wasn't really a pilot. I knew he had aviation knowledge so I figured either crewman of some sort or mechanic.

Here are some standout gems from his past posts.

Avbug once claimed to have been a firefighting pilot who flew into burning woodlands. I shyt you not when I tell you he claimed to have ingested tree branches and limbs down his engines. I'm not kidding. He claimed to fly so low he actually had tree limbs ingested into his engines. Thats what he said.

Then his next gem was when he argued vehemently that an onboard fire does not necessarily constitute an emergency. Thats right, NOT an emergency. He even ridiculed people saying that if it went out then it was no big deal. How insane is that?

In short, he's a fruitcake. If it wasn't for his seemingly lucid behavior at times he'd have been written off long ago. One of the biggest problems is how he confronts people who catch on to his ridiculous claims and beliefs. He attacks them and attempts to shame and discredit them. I think he might even have been a moderator at one time until they figured out how nuts he is.

My advice is to simply ignore him. Don't engage. The guy has over 4000 posts here so he obviously has no real life. Don't humor him. He won't go away but it might slow him down a little. And for petes sake if youre a newby don't listen to a word he says.

My true evaluation of him is that he's watched the movie 'Always' about 10,000 times and thinks its real. Do me a favor. Don't tell him it wasn't. He might crack finally.

avbug said:
That's the point, isn't it?

nitrogen said:
Ever wonder why AVbugs posts seem to make some sense but don't quite ring true?

Simple. We went throught his about 3 years ago but it didn't stick I see. Back then he actually had a profile claiming all sorts of quals.

I queried him several times on some and he eventually removed all of them and now has nothing listed.

Well, even then I suspected he wasn't really a pilot. I knew he had aviation knowledge so I figured either crewman of some sort or mechanic.

Here are some standout gems from his past posts.

Avbug once claimed to have been a firefighting pilot who flew into burning woodlands. I shyt you not when I tell you he claimed to have ingested tree branches and limbs down his engines. I'm not kidding. He claimed to fly so low he actually had tree limbs ingested into his engines. Thats what he said.
I know who Avbug is. I've never met him, but I know his name from having read his posts for many years (much more the 3 years) and having corresponded with him on a number of occasions over the years. No, I'm not going to name him, but I will say that I have looked him up in the FAA database, and he does indeed posess the certificates he says he does. His pilot certificate has a type rating for an airplane which he would be extremely unlikely to have unlesss he flew for a specific air tanker company. He also holds another fairly uncommon ceritificate which would be consistent with having crewed another type which that same company was the sole operator. You may disagree with Avbug, but he's not a fraud. He's got the certificates and ratings he says he does.

That's over burning woodlands, not into burning woodlands, thanks. And owing to the resource value of the aircraft, it's seldom restricted to woodlands, but wildlands, hence the term "wildland firefighter."

How low do you find disbelievable? One hundred feet? Fifty feet? Ten feet? Two feet? Wheels touching the surface during a drop? I did all of the above...each season in a variety of different kinds of aircraft, and I've encountered burning materials, often as large as 2X4's, over a thousand feet above fires. Entering an area with a hot column and black smoke...all kinds of stuff can be found.

Ingested tree branches and limbs, and hit them with wings, canopy, propellers? You betcha. If you'd ever been there and done that, you wouldn't post such stupidity...of course that happens.

Remember the big California fires the year before last? The first day six aircraft had broken windscreens from flying debris. It happens. On top of that, in some places, we get fairly large birds...birds that use the heat and the ridge lift to climb, and they occasionally provide damage and some excitement. I've had birds come right into the cockpit more than a few times.

Then his next gem was when he argued vehemently that an onboard fire does not necessarily constitute an emergency. Thats right, NOT an emergency. He even ridiculed people saying that if it went out then it was no big deal.

An onboard fire does NOT necessarily constitute an emergency. You needn't apologize because you haven't the experience to understand that.

Now I requested rescue trucks twice this year. Once as a precaution after landing, and another time after requesting a closed runway be opened for me during a systems failure that I deemed requiring the extra attention. The evoloution turned out well and to no event, but it could have been different. The tower at that field closed the airspace, put trucks on the runway, moved men, barricades, and equipment on my behalf, and cleared me to land on a closed runway. I have no hesitation using emergency services as the occasion requires, but I have said it many times before, and will probably say it many times again when dunces such as yourself who lack the requisite experience to know otherwise post as you do...a fire does NOT necessarily constitute an emergency. It may, it may not.

For me, most of the time a fire isn't an emergency at all. It's my job.

I knew he had aviation knowledge so I figured either crewman of some sort or mechanic.

Been a crewman, and I am a mechanic. Been a DOM (X2), and an inspector, too. Got a problem with that?

I think he might even have been a moderator at one time until they figured out how nuts he is.

I was offered that position here, and on several other boards. I said no, as I felt being in that position would oblige me to be less than candid in my statements.

My true evaluation of him is that he's watched the movie 'Always' about 10,000 times and thinks its real.

John Goodman was great in that film, and I've been a Richard Dreyfuss fan ever since Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. However, the movie was hollywood's finest, and nothing like the business, by any stretch of the imagination. For one thing, we don't have Holly Hunter...

For another, it's really hard to exude glory and guts after you stink of smoke and sweat after a full day in a very hot cockpit, and nobody sees you sitting for a half hour after shutdown at the end of the day, trying to get feeling back in your toes, and hoping to be able to bend your knees enough to climb out of the cockpit...or sitting for days under a wing without electricity, running water, or indoor plumbing, waiting for a fire. Such a glamorous life. The movie didn't emphasize the cuts on your hands that last all season from safety wire, the burns from working around hot exhuast, the fact that every item of clothing I owned for years was soaked in 60 weight motor oil and smelled alternately like smoke, stale sweat and body odor, or avgas or Jet A.

Certainly there are occasions when a few of the elements of the movie might occur, but for the most part it was a delightful flight of fancy that still makes a good movie, even though it's far from reality. And as for watching it ten thousand times..a few dozen, maybe. But if watching movies a few dozen times made me into whatever was portrayed, I guess I'd be a character out of an Indiana Jones movie, or Airplane, or Hot Shots, or Roxanne, or Phenomenon, or any of the other movies that bear watching again and again. If only life were that simple.

One of the biggest problems is how he confronts people who catch on to his ridiculous claims and beliefs.

People like you?

He attacks them and attempts to shame and discredit them.

If you insist. Shame on you. Clearly your experience is narrow, your memory short and I have every reason to believe that your eyes are too close together.

Happy, now?

Last edited:
Myself, I'd love to meet the guy and shake his hand. I've frequented web boards and followed his hardcore etiquette for something like seven years. He is without a doubt different, but so am I as far as that goes.
At times, I've wished to find him and go a few rounds, but it'd be my luck he trained Ali too.

Latest resources

Back