Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annual Inspection, Lots Of $$ This year! Mag's Oh My!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NW_Pilot said:
So Lets Drop The Subject Of The "Stupid Human Factors" And get Back To Maintance & Parts Talk!

Actually I would love to talk about this little gem of a question you asked a few days ago. See below:

NW_Pilot said:
[FONT=&quot]My 4th Question Is How Dose One Obtain Jump Seat Privileges? If They Don't Work For An Airline Or Cargo Company?[/FONT]

If you are that stupid to ask a question such as that then I have serious doubts about someone like you making sure an aircraft was airworthy much less fly single pilot IFR.

Dangerkitty said:
Actually I would love to talk about this little gem of a question you asked a few days ago. See below:

If you are that stupid to ask a question such as that then I have serious doubts about someone like you making sure an aircraft was airworthy much less fly single pilot IFR.

That was a good question, and I received my answer! I have also been briefly educated on how it all works thanks to the kind who took the time to Explain & Educate me. I did not know something so I asked what’s wrong with that? Nothing!

I would hate to see you as an instructor to a student or how you treat your first officer when they ask a question they do not know the answer to. Now if I was an ATP or had a few thousand hours and was not new to the industry I could see how that question would look deserve an arrogant response like yours!

[FONT=&quot]This will be my only reply to you or anyone else on this subject!:)[/FONT]

To change things up a bit, I'm curious about your experience as the owner of a 150. I'm thinking about buying one myself down the road. Have you calculated your costs - how do they compare to renting, even with the inspection charges? Would you say you're happy having your own aircraft? Seems like you are, but just curious. Thanks!

Village Idiot

NW Pilot,

I own a 150 also, I just had to replace the mags as well. I feel your pain it seems like a money pit at times but well worth it in the end.

Dirt

ps just ignore avbug....every village has an idiot.

polysciguy9 said:
To change things up a bit, I'm curious about your experience as the owner of a 150. I'm thinking about buying one myself down the road. Have you calculated your costs - how do they compare to renting, even with the inspection charges? Would you say you're happy having your own aircraft? Seems like you are, but just curious. Thanks!

I recommend the 150 it is simple, parts are very inexpensive & readily available. Very low operating costs. The 150 is a Good time builder but not so good for utility & versatility. That I would recommend a 182, or 210in the Cessna line.

Compared to renting I figure it has been about the same costs now last year cost me a bit more than a rental because the cost of the mag’s, but the convenience of having it there at 3am to go to night landing’s and annoy a class C tower doing touch & goes is priceless, being able to fly it some place have it sit for 3 days and not being charged min daily rental fees is really nice, being able to equip it the way you want is also a plus.

One thing I would recommend is find your self an independent IA, If you have the skill always help with the maintenance and or do most the work under A&P supervision you will have a better understanding of aircraft systems & save money

Overall I am very, very happy 150 owner don’t think I will ever sell it will probably pass it on to my son!

DIRT said:
NW Pilot,

I own a 150 also, I just had to replace the mags as well. I feel your pain it seems like a money pit at times but well worth it in the end.

Dirt

ps just ignore avbug....every village has an idiot.

Yes, well worth it in the end!

Do you have an data on how often a Vacumn pump or Alternator on an aircraft fails?

like 1 time every 1500 hours or soemthing.

Just want to know why you say they fail often.

I don't have the data here but the FAA dose. I try and attend as many safety seminars as I can. I was at a Free IFR seminar & some faa engineer was talking about how they are designed to fail & inherent features that make it so! I made up my mind right there 500 hours Replace they are cheap, your gyros in IMC are very important.

I know how imprtant gyros are, I have had them crap out on me before during an approach, both times it was the DG gyro itself not the pump.

My question was more directed at avbug, since he claimed they(vac pumps) fail on pilots often.

My question is for how many hours flown does a pilot expreince a vacumn failure. (essentially the odds)

I'm with you single engine ifr isn't a problem to me as long as a i know the airplane is well maintened and other criteria is met.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back