• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annoying things your CA/FO does, 2011 version

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It sounds to me like most of the people on here defending hand flying are fo's and most of the people it annoys are captains. If you want a relaxed trip try not to do things that annoy most captains. If you want to hand fly the whole trip after you upgrade go for it. I am sure everyone who does it thinks they do a good job but it almost never looks like that from my seat. Use the flight director and AP above 10. Also it is not a 172 so don't try to trim it for hands off. Every time you let go of the controls to check it and the airplane moves one way or the other and you have to jerk it back really impresses everyone.

Seems like the time to be on AP and looking out is below 10,000 in an airport environment. Turn it off, if you must, above 10,000 but you also should press the buttons and turn the knobs yourself.

Anybody else get a bit agitated by day 4 when the other guy won't stop saying "at (insert his last job) we did it this way" followed by "and it was so much better". It took all the way to day 4 for curiosity to wear off and frustration to set in.

I would argue that with a pilot hand flying, there is less need for the NFP to monitor. So many people get complacent with the autopilot on, at least with one pilot you have one pilot intensely monitoring the airspeed, altitude and course rather than checking their schedules on their lap top or letting the aircraft get to slow in icing.

Going to have to disagree on this one.

I think Part 91 vs. 121 might make a 'cultural' difference here.

At an airline you often don't know who you are pared with, so you don't know their strengths and weaknesses until you get pared together...and even then they often aren't all fleshed out in a single 4 day trip.

Part 91, you fly with the same person or small group of people all the time; it doesn't take very long to figure out what skills are good and what skills are marginal.

The guy I fly with hand-flies to RVSM altitudes nearly every single flight and it doesn't bother me in the least, nor do I feel it increases my workload. That said, on the RUUDY departure from TEB the AP goes on fairly soon after takeoff regardless of who is flying.

Time, place, etc.

Latest resources

Back