Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR pilots; how many on furlough, when do you expect recalls to start?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm going to make witchdoctor an honorary TWA pilot... ;) TC

Big Babbies

tbkane said:
very very sick!

satpak77 said:
Ok Kit Darby

I'm really tired of these types of remarks. Get over it! It was a down turn and not the end of the world! If you want to look for the negative in everything than you'll find it very difficult to get a job.

The majors and legacies may not be interviewing everyone that throws in an app, but then again, it isn't an entitlement. If you want a job with a major, go earn it. But don't come on here to cry and whine about how bad everything is and whoa is me bs. You all sound like little children. If you can't have it now, you are going to throw a fit. Well grow up.

FLYI's now unemployed pilots would be able to take care of all of JetBlue's hiring for 2006 (and probably beyond). AMR's furloughed pilots could probably take all of the remaining jobs created at majors, nationals, etc in 2006 and part of 2007. UAL, UAIR, DAL, and NWAC furloughees could handle everything for 2007 and probably 2008.
A lot of us have temporarily walked away from aviation. I'll return when recalled by UAL, but not a second before then.

The furloughed AMR, UAL, DAL and NWAC pilots have most likely quit flying like you did (for now) or have already found jobs elsewhere. My point was there are jobs available if you want to fly. If you don't that just keeps the door open for someone else.

AA will start recalling late this year (Fall 2006.) It will be slow at first but will increase due to the MASSIVE attrition taking place.

If we take concessions and Pref Bidding, we will probably start recalling this fall. If we vote no to pref bidding, they will probably have to recall earlier.

BTW, I am very happy at AMR despite all of the negative comments above. There are definitely worse places to be at. Granted our relations with mgt aren't stellar, but name one company where they are OTHER than SWA or JB. I am one of those bottomfeeder MD80 F/Os sitting in a crashpad in NY on reserve, and all I have to do is think about our soldiers deploying to Iraq for a year, or our furloughees struggling to make even $40K after their lives were turned upside down, and that pretty much puts it into perspective for me. Yes our union president is a moron, no I don't want to give up more concessions, but overall AMR has been good to me. There are worse places to be.

ksu_aviator said:
I'm really tired of these types of remarks. Get over it! It was a down turn and not the end of the world! If you want to look for the negative in everything than you'll find it very difficult to get a job.

The majors and legacies may not be interviewing everyone that throws in an app, but then again, it isn't an entitlement. If you want a job with a major, go earn it. But don't come on here to cry and whine about how bad everything is and whoa is me bs. You all sound like little children. If you can't have it now, you are going to throw a fit. Well grow up.

OK Kit Darby Junior

Draginass said:
AA wants to implement a preferential bid process. Some think that would eliminate the need for about 500 pilot positions. This will be another test of the "pliability" of the AA pilots' union.

Recalls? My guess is at least another 18 months before a very slow recall starts.

It was my understanding that the APA was pushing for Pref Bidding. I also understand the APA has offered AA numerous "pre-emptive" concessions packages. Is this at all true?

furloughfodder said:
It was my understanding that the APA was pushing for Pref Bidding. I also understand the APA has offered AA numerous "pre-emptive" concessions packages. Is this at all true?

Yes. APA is the France of labor unions...conceding before negotiations even start.

There is a lot of grass roots dissension growing, so one can only hope that the line pilot takes this union back from the current group of management apologists.

furloughfodder said:
\

No. Let's call it like it is. The APA Leadership has been pushing for PBS, amongst other pre-emptive concessions. The membership is highly against PBS and more concessions, and I can tell you right now that anything offered will most likely be voted down. Especially with the "rosy"outlook for '06 and beyond. Especially because we should be starting contract openers sometime this year. Especially because AMR has proven that they can be profitable at $60/barrel and our current contract. Hunter and his cronies are flying kites if they think this thing will pass.

APA has been "pushing" PB to the extent that it doesn't affect recalls. PB itself will only reduce staffing by 1% due to eliminating conflicts over the end of bid periods.

The real killer to recalls would be "demand staffing" or whatever it's called by AA. That allows reserves to pick up open time on their days off and get paid above guarantee. Lineholders can do the same but the real effeciency comes in when there is no open time to assign to reserves on their available days because the open time has been picked up already.

Reserve goes senior, reserve staffing is reduced fewer trips end up uncovered so line holders are reassigned to cover them. Overall, QOL for the pilot group is enhanced.

If you don't want to be on reserve, you don't have to (unless you're super junior). If you don't want to pick up open time, you don't have to (and often, there is none available). You end up flying your trips as published because CCS isn't jerking you off your pairing to cover their lack of reserves (even though 30% of the pilots are on reserve).

That's why this is only a good thing if you have no one on furlough.

APA's leadership is trying to be creative in gaining better QOL for the pilots and be more effecient so the company can't make a case for coming after pay and bennies. They are stuck between that and the 3000 guys on the street. I don't know if it'll work. I don't trust AMR's management to not come after pay and bennies even if the union agrees to be more effecient.

I have no dog in the fight anymore. I'll either bypass until I can retire or I'll bypass until I can hold a line as CA in STL (near age 60...). I hope recalls happen soon so those who are in crap jobs or AE can return.TC

Latest resources

Back