Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR pilots; how many on furlough, when do you expect recalls to start?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AMR has about 2800 pilots furloughed and there hasn't been any announcement about recalls. Speculation is sometime in 2006 but who knows. Supposedly they are short pilots with their current schedule but they are talking about going to Pref Bidding. That won't help the recalls.

I personally don't think things are that bad anymore. UAL is recalling. CAL will continue to hire strong into 06. JetBlue will hire 500 more this year. SWA, FEDEX, UPS will continue to hire as well. That doesn't include the regionals. There are a lot of pilots furloughed but I'm sure most of them can find work if they want too.

FurloughedTwice said:
AMR has about 2800 pilots furloughed and there hasn't been any announcement about recalls. Speculation is sometime in 2006 but who knows. Supposedly they are short pilots with their current schedule but they are talking about going to Pref Bidding. That won't help the recalls.

I personally don't think things are that bad anymore. UAL is recalling. CAL will continue to hire strong into 06. JetBlue will hire 500 more this year. SWA, FEDEX, UPS will continue to hire as well. That doesn't include the regionals. There are a lot of pilots furloughed but I'm sure most of them can find work if they want too.

Ok Kit Darby

FurloughedTwice said:
AMR has about 2800 pilots furloughed and there hasn't been any announcement about recalls.

Can anyone verify an exact number? Thanks.

FurloughedTwice said:

FLYI's now unemployed pilots would be able to take care of all of JetBlue's hiring for 2006 (and probably beyond). AMR's furloughed pilots could probably take all of the remaining jobs created at majors, nationals, etc in 2006 and part of 2007. UAL, UAIR, DAL, and NWAC furloughees could handle everything for 2007 and probably 2008.
A lot of us have temporarily walked away from aviation. I'll return when recalled by UAL, but not a second before then.

AA wants to implement a preferential bid process. Some think that would eliminate the need for about 500 pilot positions. This will be another test of the "pliability" of the AA pilots' union.

Recalls? My guess is at least another 18 months before a very slow recall starts.

According to the ole seniority calculator....IF, and I mean a big IF, american stays around 10,000 pilots, I would be recalled end of 2008 early 2009, furloughed Jan. 2003. Ok, back to the scotch!

Amr

AMR is not a great place to be unless you have no where else to go and I mean NO where else. APA President Hunter is a complete idiot and I just found out the other day that he is on permanant disabilty (likely never to fly again). This guy has nothing but his own interest and agenda at heart, he could give a rats a$$ about the rank and file members of APA and he cares even less for those of us on furlough. With that in mind you have to be desperate to take recall unless you are as mentioned above. A 5 yr MD-80 FO is dragging home a whopping 80K and flying quite bit for that or more than likely sitting reserve in some sorry a$$ crash pad in Kew Gardens 3 weeks out of the month.... What a life. The pilots at AMR are for the most part a great group of guys and gals but the same can't be said for the other labor groups. For example the FAs are a strange bunch, flamers (not that there is anything wrong with that) and bitter old women, some of which used to be men. This group provides, in my opinion, some of the poorest cabin service I have ever witnessed. Management is in bed with our union leaders trying to extract more concessions whilst they are in queue for 558 million in bonuses this spring. I am sure that Cpt Hunter would love to subsidize their bonuses with the sweat and money of the pilots..... makes sense right?
My recall will certainly be deferred, probably indefintely, or until pigs fly and management takes a 50% paycut and swears loyalty to one and only one airline so help them-----fill in the blank, which ever comes first.

Latest resources

Back