• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR eagle BK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
American declares bankruptcy. CEO bails out the night before bankruptcy with his golden parachute. Pilots will have their pension terminated. Their CBA could be tossed like garbage by a BK judge, but most likely, they will have many concessions and pay cuts shoved down their throats. Scope will be eroded further to outsource 70-90 seaters to regionals other than Eagle. Management will award (bonus) to their executive management, and then they will emerge out of bankruptcy as a "new, lower cost" airline.

Seriously........ THAT is the reality of airlines in the US today. The last place anyone should rip on is Emirates. The pay/compensation package is good, the checks clear, and they've always made money. Who's more likely to be around for the next 50 years. American, Delta, United, US Air, or Emirates, Qatar, Etihad? I'd put my money on a Middle Eastern airline any day.

The airline pilot profession in the United States is dead.

Except the middle eastern airlines don;t want you making a career out of it. Just like PCL, put in your ten years and LEAVE please.

Maybe you want to fly an airbus from abu dhabi to india for 93 hours a month. I don't. It's regional airline scheduling, no work rules, and bigger planes.

And those bigger planes are doing to the U.S. wide body fleet and jobs what RJs have done to the narrow body fleet. So go and help kill the profession from the other end too. When you wonder where it has all gone in twenty years - buy a mirror.

Well it's official now every major (legacy) airline have gone down in BK

Wrong answer, James. Alaska is a legacy airline who hasn't and SWA is a major who hasn't.

American declares bankruptcy. CEO bails out the night before bankruptcy with his golden parachute.

The article I just read stated that there was no golden parachute for Gerard Arpey. He's just retiring, no chute. Now, he'll probably be able to waltz into a different good job, but no chute from American. Needless to say, his stock is now as worthless as anyone else's.

The BK was a defeat for him, as he has been strongly opposed to any BK move. His opposition was probably a big reason why American avoided BK for so long.

Anyway, that's what I learned from my morning reading, I could be misinformed.

James,

I don't think there is an accurate assumption in your entire post. I get overly dramatic sometimes, but that post is over the top. Mainline will not top out at $40k, you will still see your family more than twice, and I do get respect when I go somewhere in my uniform.

You are part of the problem. Keep fooling youself that you are in a repected position. Uniform respect? Really? You must be one of the ones I referred to that's in the left seat.

James,

I don't think there is an accurate assumption in your entire post. I get overly dramatic sometimes, but that post is over the top. Mainline will not top out at $40k, you will still see your family more than twice, and I do get respect when I go somewhere in my uniform.

Wrong answer, James. Alaska is a legacy airline who hasn't and SWA is a major who hasn't.

There was more to my post than that. Please excuse my error. I was trying to convey a point, that was not it.

You are part of the problem. Keep fooling youself that you are in a repected position. Uniform respect? Really? You must be one of the ones I referred to that's in the left seat.

I am a part of the problem because I think that mainline carrier captains will make more than $40k? I am not sure why you don't feel like you get respect. The passengers and the van drivers are more than friendly to me, and when I go to restaurants in my uniform (not often) the servers give me better service. As far as the left seat, I am pretty sure about 75% of the people we interface with don't know the difference between 3 and 4 stripes. The only people I don't get respect from are the ones that are managing the company I work for.

Trying to prove your point with vast exaggerations isn't going to help your cause.

No exaggerations here bro. I am just trying to tell my story. It was all true. I was hoping to pass it on so that others could learn from my mistake of becoming an airline pilot and continue with it. You mentioned management in your previous post. Thank you. They are the biggest problem. I have no cause to fight, I'm just giving the facts of my experiences. I decided it wasn't worth it. I hope you will stand up some day and say enough. Or just keep taking it, just like management wants you to. Good luck and fly safe.......

James,

I think he was referring to the fact that the majority of today's regional pilots will never make it to the majors; many will never make it out of the left seat, as even regional airlines get replaced. Thus, odds are very good today's regional FO may never see greater than $40k. It's a huge ponzi scheme, where career entrants willingly work today for pennies in exchange for a lottery ticket for entry into the top of the pyramid tomorrow.

As far as seeing your family more than twice, there is no doubt that many regionals these days are seeing their bases closed and relocated, due to changing whims of mainline management. Even if you intentionally chose a base you could live in, odds are at some point you will be forced to become a commuter, and commuters don't see their families very much. There is much truth to James' reason for leaving the industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back