Ameristar Fatal Crash Last Night

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here here! Couldn't said it better.

Falcon20 Driver hasn't a clue. I've done alot of approaches in Mexico and the majority of the are suspect for jet aircraft. I had to do one in MMIO where you cross the vor go out to a certain DME and then teardrop back to it. At the altitude for the procedure calls for and performing a 30 deg bank at 180 kts you WILL hit the mountains. We were in & out of the clouds during the turn and I saw they were getting very close. I had to really crank the turn around to avoid them. So it could easily be the lousy oversight of their ATC system. I've never trusted anything down there. The people are very nice, but attention to detail is not one of their strong suits.

May God bless them and their families. RIP.

Since I am the captains wive and have been in loop the entire time and you have not, don't speculate. The plane was on the correct heading, when it hit the ground the tail flew off and laded facing 154 degrees. Thanks for starting a visious rumor. Next time do some home work and get the facts or keep your mouth shut.

Thank you,

Mrs. Hughes

Daytonaflyer!

I don't know where you get these rumors from:

It was also determined that their heading was approximately 70 degrees off their assigned heading at the time of impact.

Please don't post heading guesses until we hear some more accurate information!!
(Tapes between ATC and the plane and radar pictures)

My prayers goes out to TP's and DH's families.

Three fatal Learjet accidents in less than 6 years, the first two were pilot error, maybe this one was and maybe it wasn't, but 3 pilots, maybe 5 now have died and one badly injured because of flying fast strait into the ground. At this rate in two to three years they're do another fatal Learjet accident, if someones life is saved by reading my post than it did some good.

You may have a point here, but this is neither the time or place for such a topic. I flew with Mr. Hughes for the better part of two years at one time. I use much of what I learned from him every day, not to mention the rare occaison I end up in Mexico. What may have happened there could happen at any time to any of us. God bless both families and those who are supporting them.

Fly safe.....

Rumors schmumers. Whether they were on the correct heading or not, terrain clearance in Mexico and most of the world is the responsibility of the crew. If it was a problem with the airplane, that's just the risk you take with this job, be it fair or not. Tragic accident, nonetheless.

Last edited:
Let me qualify this statement by saying that this is not meant to slight anyone's capabilities or to be disrespectful. And really it has nothing to do with this particular event, tragic as it is. No matter how good someone is at their job, no matter what they've seen or done before, or how many times they've been in that situation....mistakes get made. Once in a while they'll kill you. The rationalization of "he was too good to go out like that" just usually turns out not to be true to put it bluntly.

With that in mind let's remember to never stop running our mental checks. Especially in places like Mexico. I hated flying down there when I couldn't see in front of me.

Dan, farewell good buddy. Attending your memorial service today was very hard. I was looking forward to you flying with me in my beat up old 747-200 freighter. I remember discussing your experiences at Ameristar and how it was just like my experiences flying for Cherry Air years ago. You lived your life to the fullest. We have all been blessed to know you. You are now able to fly free. I look forward to joining you up there someday, but 'til then watch over us... Joe

He was to good to have something like this happen. I was married to the man for 13 years and have flown with the man countless hours. This was no mistake, something else happened and they will find out what.

Let me qualify this statement by saying that this is not meant to slight anyone's capabilities or to be disrespectful. And really it has nothing to do with this particular event, tragic as it is. No matter how good someone is at their job, no matter what they've seen or done before, or how many times they've been in that situation....mistakes get made. Once in a while they'll kill you. The rationalization of "he was too good to go out like that" just usually turns out not to be true to put it bluntly.

With that in mind let's remember to never stop running our mental checks. Especially in places like Mexico. I hated flying down there when I couldn't see in front of me.

Latest resources

Back