American Recalls and Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pdub20s

I recently heard from a guy on my jump seat that 1 in 8 are actually going to accept a recall and that AA is hiring in 2010. Any truth to this?

Hiring in 2010? I would say that is highly unlikely at best. The last recall class was in June and there has been no word on future recall classes. There is a rumor that recalls will resume in March, but I won't believe it until the recall letters are actually sent out.
Keep in mind that there are STILL 1969 remaining on furlough status and an additional 540 Eagle pilots that will presumably be flowing up. My guess is that barring growth at AA (like that will ever happen), it may be 2011 or later before the Eagle guys even begin to flow up. Bottom line is that hiring at AA is likely several years away. Age 65 will really slow things down as far as recalls and hiring. We probably won't see significant retirements until December of 2012 when the old geezers are finally forced out.

Can you imagine, a decade or longer with no pilot hiring at the worlds largest - now second largest - airline.

The 1 in 8 acceptance rate will be very likely. Just as the recalls came to an end in May, the acceptance rate among non Eagle flowback furloughees was roughly 1 in 5.

Assuming recalls started today, those next in line have been furloughed for 7 years. The next 900 or so to be called are all ex-TWA, and then the last 300ish are native AAers who were hired summer of 2001. In any event, I doubt very many of them are still unemployed to this day. Many of them probably have fine positions at various LCC/cargo/corporate/foreign companies. The point? It's highly unlikely that more than 10% of the 1200 awaiting a recall are actually going to accept the first offer.

If AA needed 200 bodies, that should take care of the remaining furloughees.

As for Eagle flowthrus, that's a big wildcard. Huge. Approximately 520 Eagle pilots have AA seniority numbers, of which approximately 60% (just an educated guess) are over age 50. Roughly 1/2 of the Eagle pilots with AA seniority numbers are emphatically not interested in flowing to AA, primarily due to the massive paycut and the loss of QOL involved (i.e. DFW based AE pilots being unable to hold DFW at AA for the forseeable future). Also, they don't want to be back on reserve and possibly be furlough fodder.

Will the company attempt to force Eagle flowthru pilots over? That remains to be seen. They have been very quiet on that matter. We know they want all flowthrus to flow to AA to reduce Eagle's longevity. It's rumored that Eagle's top man, PB, was heard saying that when flowthrus are next to go, they will all be given two letters: one thanking them for their service to Eagle, and another letter welcoming them to American Airlines. If they aren't forced to flow, roughly 40-50%, or about 200-250 Eagle pilots, would actually flow to American.

Most of AA's retirments have been early-outs, with a few age 60, and very very few over age 60. So, it's doubtful many will work till they die in the future.

Long story short, hiring could actually begin within a year of recalls resuming. When this will happen is anybody's guess. Too many variables, although some of the AA guys here indicate recalls to resume in the spring.

Possible hiring in 2010.

Starscream--Good post. BUT! The AA guys coming up on retirement have just lost a huge chunk of their retirement due to the market.

AND, they are flying good int'l. lines on a widebody making around $200k (using vacation to fill up the month...it's complicated), banging LBFM's down South--life is good.

I'm looking for maybe 50-70 numbers a year--none at STL. ;)

Plus, the longer they stay, the more they're screwing AA73 and AAflyer. :D

TC

The 737 deliveries starting in the winter could possibly require additional pilots, no? Training bubbles, etc.?

The 737 deliveries starting in the winter could possibly require additional pilots, no? Training bubbles, etc.?

The aircraft deliveries are for aircraft retirement and replacements. The economy has got to better than good going forward or all bets are off. peace!

Can you imagine, a decade or longer with no pilot hiring at the worlds largest - now second largest - airline.

I think I've read that there was a period in the 1970's or 80's where TWA hadn't hired anyone in 17 years. Crazy. To quote the great pete fusco, "Aviation is a table of feast or a desert of famine."

Can you imagine being among the youngest in that first new-hire class? Just think of the career and seniority that say a 26 year old new-hire will enjoy at AA given the lack of ANY hiring in more than ten years. Some guys have (or will) all the luck.

Latest resources

Back