• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Recalls and Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can you imagine being among the youngest in that first new-hire class? Just think of the career and seniority that say a 26 year old new-hire will enjoy at AA given the lack of ANY hiring in more than ten years. Some guys have (or will) all the luck.

I know a few people that were in their mid 20's 10 years ago at US Air (after a decade of no hiring there) that thought they had all of the luck! (None of them work there anymore)

Hiring in 2010? In Aviation years that a Looooong time. I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I know a few people that were in their mid 20's 10 years ago at US Air (after a decade of no hiring there) that thought they had all of the luck! (None of them work there anymore)

I would like to echo that, there is no way of knowing if american or any other company will be around in 10 years. That goes for both aviation and non-aviation companies.

I find it interesting how everyone seems to have a theory. Dec.13th 2007 legislation passed for the mandatory retirement age to become 65. At the time if someone would have told me I would be roughly 600 numbers more senior at AA due to retirements; I would have thought they were nuts. Bottom line. We'll just have to wait and see. 737 deliveries to begin at the end of Mar; early Apr 2009; Rumor is management is crunching numbers in the month of Dec. to determine if we need to recall next year. Time will tell.

I just don't think they're going to recall anyone in the foreseeable future. Of course, if AA had it's way in the new contract, there would be probably 1500 more furloughs.

There's a lot of moving parts right now -- the 7300 pilot floor arbitration, section 6 negotiations, new 737s, uncertain market, etc etc. I think AA is just going to keep itself understaffed in pilots until more stuff shakes out.

From a management standpoint to be understaffed is not such a bad thing... During the recall BOOM that began in '05; many of the airlines were very aggressive in recalls. United; CAL; DAL. Now United is furloughing almost 1000 pilots; CAL furloughed roughly 150; American was able to stop recalling and those that are on the property are still there. (
Helps when 600 pilots retire as well.)

Letter 3 has expired, there will be no eagle flow thrus. Just like there are no more flow back captains due to the disp. bid a few months back. Eagles longevity prob will never be solved.

Even with a 1997 year seniority number, no eagle pilot would flow through and take a $70k/yr pay cut to fly a dinosaur. Only the junior flow throughs with out a number would want to go if they could.

How does that translate though?

I find it interesting how everyone seems to have a theory. Dec.13th 2007 legislation passed for the mandatory retirement age to become 65. At the time if someone would have told me I would be roughly 600 numbers more senior at AA due to retirements; I would have thought they were nuts. Bottom line. We'll just have to wait and see. 737 deliveries to begin at the end of Mar; early Apr 2009; Rumor is management is crunching numbers in the month of Dec. to determine if we need to recall next year. Time will tell.

How does that 600 numbers translate into bidding power though? What would have the results been had age 60 retirement still been in effect? Those are the two key questions! ( I have no idea by the way, just asking).

Letter 3 has expired, there will be no eagle flow thrus. Just like there are no more flow back captains due to the disp. bid a few months back. Eagles longevity prob will never be solved.

Even with a 1997 year seniority number, no eagle pilot would flow through and take a $70k/yr pay cut to fly a dinosaur. Only the junior flow throughs with out a number would want to go if they could.

This was already arbitrated, and the ruling was that Eagle pilots who obtained seniority numbers prior to letter expiration were still eligible to flow once new hire classes start. Whether that's anytime in the near future is a separate matter. And no, furloughed AA pilots no longer have the right to flowback, and as it turns out, furloughed AA pilots at AE do not get to exercise super seniority to hold on to the left seat in the event of a displacement.

The views on AA seniority number holders at Eagle varies wildly. Some have decided they will not flow no matter what, even if Eagle was shutting down the next day (someone please explain that logic to me!). Many are leaning towards staying at Eagle but can be swayed if a financial incentive is involved (i.e. huge exit bonus). Some buy into the hype that the sky is falling at Eagle and would flow. Several would flow due to QOL (i.e MIA domicile for FL guys who currently commute to JFK/LGA at Eagle). Some want to flow because of the work rules and because the worst day at AA is better than the best day at AE. Some are actually quite young and want to flow regardless.

There are approximately 520 pilots at Eagle with numbers. My guess: 200 will flow.

Another matter is whether the company can force Eagle captains with numbers to flow to AA. That has been a hot topic in the past, and might be again when we cross the bridge of classes starting at AA.

What percentage of the Eagle Flow-throughs are pre-TWA? I seem to remember that there are AE pilots still at Eagle that will be senior to all of the TWA guys that are currently furloughed when/if they finally come over even though the TWA guys will come back first.

Latest resources

Back