• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American recall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello gents, good thread. I've heard the same rumors regarding recalls coming up, but that's all they are - rumors. Nobody from the union or the Co can confirm their validity. I promise that I will post stuff as I hear it let's keep our fingers crossed for some good news!

I still have the SAAB 2000 hat from the dog and pony show

AA:

I toured the SAAB 2000 in SJU around 1994 - 1995. It was nice, but I was more impressed with the ATR-42 with the engines and props from the Super 72 model. The SAAB just doesn't have the room, OHB space or cargo capacity for the Caribbean that the ATR does and SJU is still all props.

Center Pork IV really blue it when they bought the ATR without APUs, deciding they could run the right engine with the prop brake on. That didn't work since the galley door is on the right side and the quick turn factor. The ramp, as most airlines, is inconsistant in getting ground air and electic hooked up and for a 25 minute out-station turn....forget about it!

AAflyer said:
Labbats, I have heard the SAAbs being taken out of storage rumor. I flew at Eagle 9 years ago. I think a big mistake we made back then was not buying the SAAB 2000. I am sure as we enter Sec 6 there will be many more rumors abound.

Best,
AAflyer

Keep in mind, Eagle will have to start hiring well ahead of recalls at AA to replace the flowback CA's who will be leaving.

It should be no wonder that AE is having trouble attracting people. They have all the warm-fuzzies of AMR with the pay and bennies of a commuter. :eek:

AMR's corporate culture is a relic of the '80's--the 1880's! As I've said before, they sit at Centerpork and wonder why SWA is so successful but the answer is in the corporate culture which, at SWA, is the antithesis of AMR.

The Emperor Draco must be smiling somewhere when he gazes upon AMR... TC

Jeff Helgeson said:
AA:

I toured the SAAB 2000 in SJU around 1994 - 1995. It was nice, but I was more impressed with the ATR-42 with the engines and props from the Super 72 model. The SAAB just doesn't have the room, OHB space or cargo capacity for the Caribbean that the ATR does and SJU is still all props.

Center Pork IV really blue it when they bought the ATR without APUs, deciding they could run the right engine with the prop brake on. That didn't work since the galley door is on the right side and the quick turn factor. The ramp, as most airlines, is inconsistant in getting ground air and electic hooked up and for a 25 minute out-station turn....forget about it!

Good point Jeff,

I think the ATR 72 is an excellent plane, however I thought for a while we had more SAABs, and it would be an easier transition. I also heard we would have been one the lauch customers and the cost would have been a "steal".

I think we will see a shift back to some turboprop flying. Have you seen the new Q400. WOW!

Drop me a note, did you ever hear anything? Hope the family is doing well.

100 ci,

I found a little more information for you on A300. I missed the fact that the A300 (not sure if all of them) had the smae engine as the one that a catostraphic failure in LAX, apparently there are some ADs out now, and that may be another reason they headed out ot TUL for a few months.

Take Care Guys,

AAflyer

Jeff Helgeson said:
AA:

Good point Jeff,

I think the ATR 72 is an excellent plane, however I thought for a while we had more SAABs, and it would be an easier transition. I also heard we would have been one of the launch customers and the cost would have been a "steal".

I think we will see a shift back to some turboprop flying. Have you seen the new Q400. WOW!

Drop me a note, did you ever hear anything? Hope the family is doing well.

100 ci,

I found a little more information for you on A300. I missed the fact that the A300 (not sure if all of them) had the smae engine as the one that a catostraphic failure in LAX, apparently there are some ADs out now, and that may be another reason they are headed out ot TUL for a few months.

Take Care Guys,

AAflyer

Keep in mind there is still the issue of the 19 TWA 757's that are soon to disappear. Unless there's a plan to perhaps drag some planes from the boneyard, the overall loss of airframes reduces the number of required pilots and conseqently affects the recall rumor. Hope I'am wrong and have been many times, but I believe it when I get the "CALL"..

Eagle won't hire in anticipation of AA recalls they will withhold the flowbacks for the 6 months as they start to ramp up training>> We have seen this happen before at Eagle.. Nothing has changed!!!

100 c.i. said:
Keep in mind there is still the issue of the 19 TWA 757's that are soon to disappear. Unless there's a plan to perhaps drag some planes from the boneyard, the overall loss of airframes reduces the number of required pilots and conseqently affects the recall rumor. Hope I'am wrong and have been many times, but I believe it when I get the "CALL"..

They have 20 S80s that can be yanked from their parking spot. Some have been taken apart, however there are around 20 in short term storage. We also are still retiring a lot of guys.

74 bailed in August alone. That was a number given to us in the middle of the month. Not sure what the number was for Sept.

I am not preaching we weill recall, just giving inofmoration that I have and responses to comments I have heard before.

AA

.... and not just early retirements, but we lost 37 junior guys last year due to - RESIGNATIONS!

Folks, they can only shrink so much before they start losing major market share. I think they're pretty close to that point.

pilotyip said:
Sellingdirt, everyone on the entry level is having trouble finding qualified pilots. There is a growing pilot shortage in the entry-level jobs. Company have redefined their hiring minimums Comm., MEL, Inst and you can apply. The recalls by DAL, NWA, AA, and UAL will accelerate the turnover in the lower end of the business. This will create more flying jobs in an already tight market. This all leads up to the 2007-hiring boom.

Did you ever think that if you guys at "the lower end of the business" offered something that approximated a decent wage and quality of life that maybe you would't lose pilots to other carriers in the first place? Just wondering... :confused:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back