American hiring this summer yes or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What do we know?

• The 2014 rest rules are approaching and will increase pilot staffing by ~5%.
  • 58 American pilots reach age 65 in 2013. ~253 APA pilots will reach age 65 before SLI integration.
  • US Airways pilot hiring has repeatedly stated that hiring will continue indefinitely beyond 2013.
  • The newAmerican MTA gives furlough protection for all pilots on property by POR, which should be submitted August, 2013. There must be some growth occurring for Management to agree to this.
  • AA training departments are spooling up and expanding for B777, B737 and A319 deliveries. Further expansion will be needed to anticipate for coming retirements.
  • Scope is being severely relaxed at newAmerican. This may provide feed for domestic and international up-gauging and growth.
  • POR will bring full code sharing between LCC and AMR for further up-gauging and international growth.
  • AMR is taking delivery of 777s and has 16 on order thru 2016 or 1 every 86 days (assuming none have been delivered and 1382 days).
  • AMR is taking delivery of 100 B737s thru 2017 or 1 every 17.5 days (assuming non have been delivered and 1747 days). How much growth is here?
  • AMR will take deliveries of 130 A319/A321 from July of 2013 thru 2016 or 1 every 12.6 days (assuming 1632 days). How much growth is here?
  • This is a little far off, but it close enough to mention that AMR will take delivery of 42 787s from November 2014 thru September 2018 or 1 every 34 days (assuming 1429 days).

So will American hire this summer? I think so.

All sounds great for you guys, and I hope the new-hires start showing up soon. I did have to laugh a little bit at the bold font bullet, though. If relaxing scope this time can actually be found to increase mainline growth, that would be an industry first.

Is the likelihood of American using AirlineApps.com as their vendor for applications high? Anyone have any insight?

As of yesterday, it was announced that AA had gotten through the last of the recalls in the 6/19 class. Are they still filling that class?

Can also say that the May 15 class consists not of 25 pilots, but 34 (42-8 MLOA). Not sure why planning added 9, but a positive sign.

All sounds great for you guys, and I hope the new-hires start showing up soon. I did have to laugh a little bit at the bold font bullet, though. If relaxing scope this time can actually be found to increase mainline growth, that would be an industry first.

Funny. Because in the pre 9/11 scope relaxation at the legacies, that was the SAME tactic that was used;

"the growth is ALL international, but to feed this growth we need the RJ's to feed the hubs an vice versa..............."

Or the UAL mid-term ESOP vote where they exchanged RJ's for WB orders (that never came) and the pillots had a case of HJS, Heavy Jet Syndrome.

It appears from other boards that the Chief has mentioned new hires in the Fall. If the recall classes continue ( and it looks as if they will) then
that time frame seems about right. Bottom AA person should be receiving their recall letter any day now..

Good to see opportunities for those that choose to return. Maybe some forward movement for those on property. The ship is turning around slowly.

Latest resources

Back