• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Airlines to drop 25 of 56 gates at STL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Come on, CSY. At the time ORD was a cluster#u@k and DFW was out of gates. And, precious slots were taken up by those Eagle RJ's (or should I say slots were take up by those "precious" Eagle RJ's ;) )

All TWA had to do was go back to Carl for even more money (at even more draconian terms) and AA's (and everyone else's) revenues stayed depressed in the middle of the country.

You are looking at this from the viewpoint of "what happened". Carty was looking at this from the point of "what could happen".

BTW, no one's pay doubled except Compton's. Mine was about 20% increase...for awhile. Now, it's zero.

Anyway, who cares? It happened, we're all on the street and bitching from either side won't cure anything. And, yes, AA is going to be the bad guy in this because they were overseeing the dismantling of TWA.TC

Mkubwa said:
Seems like no one goes out of business (Ch. 7) "naturally" these days.

Too much competition is BAD - take a look at the current state of affairs. Lions don't wait around waiting for the gazelles to collapse from old age.

Wonderful synopsis Mkubwa! Everyone has their post 9/11 blinders on.TC

AA717driver said:
Anyway, who cares? It happened, we're all on the street and bitching from either side won't cure anything. And, yes, AA is going to be the bad guy in this because they were overseeing the dismantling of TWA.TC

AA is always the "bad guy", whether good or bad. Seems like they've created too many enemies over the years... But I swear, I'm one of the nicest of the "bad guys.." ;)

CSY mon,

"Yeah a typical AA business decision: Buy an airline, fix it up, double the pay, then get out of the gates, routes and park the airplanes.

What is left of the salvation army purchase ...?

Not much, except $1,5 BILLION down the drain and some bitter TWA folks screwed by Carl Ichan and laying the blame on AA."

You could not be more wrong or stupid.

really don't think Icahn (please learn to spell it correctly)

Ohh little guy, Sorry...Did I not spell it correctly..?

Oops, I will try harder..

BTW, no one's pay doubled except Compton's. Mine was about 20% increase...for awhile. Now, it's zero.

Not so?

Going from TWA pay to AA "A" scale was only a 20% increase?

Hmm, my 3rd year AA F/O pay was just over $100K per year.
The TWA guys, after several pay-cuts did not make much more in the left seat?

Back in the late 90s a B-747 captain with TWA made $116.000.00 per year guarantee. ..B-767 and MD-80 capts went down to 90--80K.anually if they were senior.

Plenty of junior F/Os jumped ship so as to seek their future and fortune somewhere else...(before 9/11 remember?)

Latest resources

Back