• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Airlines to drop 25 of 56 gates at STL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate STL. Half the time I get stuck going MCO-STL-MDW on the way back from SJU. Stupid TZ only does MCO-IND right now, so I can't go to MDW. The MDW-SJU flights are usually full, thats why.

Like the article reads, the only "news" here is that AA won't be paying for gates it hasn't used in over two years. No big change for operations at STL. And BTW, since AA drastically reduces ops at STL SWA hasn't increased theirs, in fact, I believe they've decreased their operations slightly. If JB wants to come in nothing is stopping them or anybody else. STL is a weak O & D market and that's all there is to it.

We have had the opportunanity to expand at STL for quite a while now but havent. Reason being is the Airport Authority wants more money out of the people using the facilities to fund the new runway they are building and no longer need. So you all come on down now ya hear!

Jim Smyth said:
We have had the opportunanity to expand at STL for quite a while now but havent. Reason being is the Airport Authority wants more money out of the people using the facilities to fund the new runway they are building and no longer need. So you all come on down now ya hear!

Sounds like SWA should threaten to leave STL and move all operations to Mid-America. Or, how 'bout the airport that Parks College uses?

GP

Yeah a typical AA business decision: Buy an airline, fix it up, double the pay, then get out of the gates, routes and park the airplanes.

What is left of the salvation army purchase ...?

Not much, except $1,5 BILLION down the drain and some bitter TWA folks screwed by Carl Ichan and laying the blame on AA.

Instead of letting TWA die a natural death like Pan Am and them other dinosaurs, then pick up routes on the open market if they smelled good.

Thanks Mr. Idiot Don Carthy and his ego managers who wanted to rule the worlds biggest airline.....:rolleyes:

AA buys airlines to eliminate competition. They take on the employees so the feds don't squash the deal. When you're cash rich this strategy works. I really don't think Icahn (please learn to spell it correctly) would have let his little cash cow be put to slaughter - after all, the AA lawyers had to scour the bankrutpcy code to find a way to nullify the Karabu arrangement.

Seems like no one goes out of business (Ch. 7) "naturally" these days.

Too much competition is BAD - take a look at the current state of affairs. Lions don't wait around waiting for the gazelles to collapse from old age.

Latest resources

Back